Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 475662 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #660 on: August 19, 2006, 12:22:45 AM »
TC, Fiery Mario isn't Fiery Mario without that color scheme, mabye if you ate a fire flower, your clothes would change color too! It's Magical!!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #661 on: August 19, 2006, 08:32:08 AM »
In Super Mario Land 2, the FIre Flower doesn't change Mario's colors. Though this may be due to the limited palette of the GameBoy, a feather appears in his hat. In some official artwork for the game, Mario has appeared wearing this feather-hat. Anyone have any ideas on what separates the feather-hat from the traditional Fireball Suit?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #662 on: August 19, 2006, 09:53:40 AM »
-Technical limitations
-Magic
-Lack of Miyamoto's supervision
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #663 on: August 19, 2006, 10:36:28 AM »
Or maybe there are more than one type of Fire Flower.

« Reply #664 on: August 19, 2006, 11:02:48 AM »
In Super Mario Land 2, the FIre Flower doesn't change Mario's colors. Though this may be due to the limited palette of the GameBoy, a feather appears in his hat. In some official artwork for the game, Mario has appeared wearing this feather-hat. Anyone have any ideas on what separates the feather-hat from the traditional Fireball Suit?

Pherhaps the fire flowers in Mario Land work different from the ones in the Mushroom Kingdom? They even look different. In the instruction manual of NSMB, you see the top of the Fire flower is round. In a screenshot of SML2 on TMK, you the see the tops of the fire flowers are pointy.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #665 on: August 19, 2006, 03:08:11 PM »
There's the traditional round ones, the pointy Mario World ones, and the spinning ones from Smash Melee.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #666 on: August 19, 2006, 04:18:06 PM »
Speaking of Fire Flowers, how come in the Paper Mario games, Mario doesn't just power up and roast the enemies, just like the good old days? (you know, instead of planting that sucker in the ground and watching it shoot fireballs, or letting the cooking ladies cook it)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #667 on: August 19, 2006, 04:31:54 PM »
That'd be neat, but then there's the question of how he powers down. Besides, Mushrooms don't make him bigger so that'd just put another inconsistency on our hands.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #668 on: August 19, 2006, 06:57:42 PM »
We could say that getting big from a mushroom is just a metaphor and that those Fire Flowers were just too hot to touch.

« Reply #669 on: August 19, 2006, 07:06:13 PM »
Why don't mushrooms make him bigger?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
*Knock knock*
Uhh, it's an RPG! It restores his HP.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2006, 10:24:36 PM »
Jeez thought you where talking about the platform games.

So now we have several differnt forms of fire flowers and mushrooms.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #672 on: August 21, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
The ones I left out are either old ones that I never got, new ones that I haven't saved up enough for yet, ones that I probably did have in the timeline but took out to get it down from 27 pages to post it here, or ones that I haven't had time to think through yet. It's a major work in progress. Ideally, I want to fit every game in, but obviously for some, it's just not feasible. However, I did get Mario Teaches Typing in, so hopefully there won't be many games missing in the end. Hopefully I'll be able to play the older games on the Virtual Console and the newer ones... well, I'm hoping to be a film director soon, so that should pay enough. I'll try to put the full timeline online somewhere once I get it into a more finished form if anyone wants to check out the whole thing and add their comments. Probably the most noticeable games I've never played are Partners in Time and Super Mario Land 2 through Wario Land 3.
I haven't really come up with a theory for Bowser Jr. yet. There's obviously something different about him since he looks so much more like Bowser than the other Koopalings, so that difference is probably what kept him from being hatched until the right time. Maybe he's the Chosen One or something. Star Wars does have a noticeable influence on my full timeline now that I think about it.
As for the Thousand-Year Door thing, I couldn't really remember the ending of PM:TTYD, but I was planning to make something up about what happened a thousand years after PM, where there would be some new thing behind the door, and then as I was filling in the birthdates of hundreds of future Booster generations, I decided to throw something in a million years in the future just to stretch the timeline out. It was mostly a joke, really.
Some of the powerups are obviously magical, (Raccoon Leaf, P-Wing, Magic Whistle, etc.) while some are more natural. (Cape, Anchor, Music Box to some extent, Hammer Suit, etc.) There are also probably many variations on all of them. We know just from the RPGs that there are Mushrooms, Super Mushrooms, Ultra Mushrooms, Max Mushrooms, Life Shrooms, 1-Up Supers, the Mushroom that turns you into a mushroom, and many more, and the existence of the Invincishroom shows that new varieties can be bred. In fact, the trick mushroom you got from the Goomba nephews was probably a variety professionally bred and sold to joke stores. Also, in SMRPG, there were Mushrooms that completely restored all HP and FP. Following the Nintendo-console-adjective tradition, (SUPER Nintendo, ULTRA 64,)I guess those could be Virtual Mushrooms, Mushroom Advances, Mushroom Cubes, or DMs. But there's probably a better name. Anyway, I think the magical ones were created by Magikoopas at some point, but a problem arises - If they're making them now, it must be a pretty well-kept secret. If they were made a long time ago, then why are there still so many? This is fun!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #673 on: August 21, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »
Almost forgot-
I haven't played Paper Mario 1 yet, but the full time line does have the events tentatively set at 17 AM, along with some tentative dates relating to the characters. (Goomama and Goompapa meet at the University of Goom during a rally against Morton.) Of course, everything about it is subject to change once I play it, especially if I'm convinced after seeing it that Bowser really dies at the end. Then I might also reconsider Luigi's Mansion. (Madame Clairvoya said that Mario had "soundly defeated" Bowser, and it's possible that King Boo was actually reanimating Bowser's corpse. But then I'd also have to rethink Mario is Missing and SMRPG. If it is a Bowser suit, it's most likely that Madame Clairvoya died between 0 and 4 AM, (SMB and SMB3) so she only knew that Bowser had been dropped into a river of lava. The portrait ghosts don't seem to know much about the world since their death.)
I haven't finished Mario Sunshine yet, so, although I have it set at 15 AM, I didn't feel I should include it in the condense timeline without knowing the full plot.
In 15 AM, the Mushroom Kingdom built a sports center to commemorate the fifteenth anniversary. Bowser only participated in the kart racing, since it was so fun, and after he lost his reputation in 27 AM, (DDR:MM) he finally agreed to the two-person karts that the Mushroom Kingdom had been pushing for all along, and also began participating in the other sports. The kart racing tournament started earlier, though, in 7 AM, when Luigi had a course built at his mansion, though it was not accepted into the official kart-racing circuit until 27 AM. Kart racing itself is even older, stretching back much farther than 40 BM, the year it was first introduced to the inhabitants of Circuit Break Island by colonists. The Bob-ombs killed the colonists and took their karts, later adding weapons that washed up on the shore from time to time during the Mushroom War.
The Mario Party games go after 27 BM, and are Bowser's primary evil acts for the remainder of his life.
I don't think I've decided on Bonetail and Gloomtail's birth dates yet. I'll let you know when I do.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #674 on: August 21, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
Let me assure you that Bowser does not die at the end of PM1. In fact, he has never died at the end of any Mario game, unless you want to count NSMB, which is kind of a stretch since he was still alive with his skin burned off and eventually got restored to normal.

As for the variety of Mushrooms, that was established back in the anime movie "The Great Mission to Rescue Peach", if consider it canon (and I do because it filled in a lot of stuff that SMB didn't have and actually inspired quite a few elements of later Mario games, such as character designs, workings of the Mushroom Kingdom, etc.)

Print