Print

Author Topic: Female game portayals  (Read 21651 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
I've always wondered...do Yoshis have genders? I mean, for much of my early childhood I assumed Yoshi (the character) was male, but then again I "assumed" Link's name was Zelda, Megaman was a girl (?!) and Samus was a guy.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
I had this thoery that all Yoshis could lay eggs, but only the female ones could give birth. Part of my theory was that the female Yoshis hadn't appeared in the games yet. I also saw another theory that the male Yoshi's 'eggs' were really turds covered in a calcium-based shell.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2006, 10:41:34 PM »
No no no. The eggs the males lay just won't hatch into other Yoshis, only females will lay them for reproduction. This belongs in Mariology...
Everyone thinks that Link is Zelda at first glance of the game. Why didn't Miyamoto name it "The Legend of Link"? Think of it, the series would be abbreviated "LoL." that would be AWESOME.
Glorb, didn't the name MegaMan give a teeny hint of his gender?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
According to the Japanese SSBM trophy, Yoshis are neither male nor female, regardless what someone in the Mariology thread thinks.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 11:15:41 PM »
Well, then how did the Yoshi on the Excess Express in PMTTYD have a wife?
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2006, 08:28:17 AM »
According to the Japanese SSBM trophy, Yoshis are neither male nor female, regardless what someone in the Mariology thread thinks.

This is from the same game that got Meta Knight's first appearance wrong and don't know the relationship between Wario and Waluigi
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »
...and said that Daisy was in Mario Golf as well as saying that the Great Fox first appeared in Star Fox on the SNES when it didn't appear until SF64.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2006, 02:28:21 PM »
I heard earlier say what partners were female in PM:TTYD. Um...isn't Flurrie a girl? I think so.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »
Vivian is the one who's supposed to be a guy.

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2006, 10:31:18 PM »
But, thankfully, she was proven a girl in the American version of the game.
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »
You guys are all 100% wrong in taking the American versions of games as the "right" versions.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2006, 02:11:52 AM »
This theory is the best I've heard: Mario is telling the whole story to Luigi, right? Maybe he heard Beldam's insult of "man" to Vivian and assumed she was male. Or maybe he made the detail up to make Vivian's low self esteem seem lower. I don't know. I know I'm supposed to believe that the Japanese versions are always right, but...
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2006, 08:46:47 AM »
This is getting complex.
every

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »
You know, it doesn't really matter.  The game is what you make of it.
If you think for sure that Vivian is undoubtedly a girl, then yes, you can think that.  If you think Vivian's a guy, yes, you can think that too.  It's not a huge issue, here. 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
I say listen to Chupperson. If you want the actual 'canon' take what's in the games. If you like making up fan-intepretations, that's fine, just don't go telling people that your theories are fact, because they aren't. I hate it when Mariologists say that some things aren't 'canon' just because they can't work it out. I take whatever I see in the games as fact(especially the Japan version) and sometimes I devise my own theories but they don't involve taking out anything that's already there.

Print