Print

Author Topic: How is Sonic "Cool"?  (Read 25521 times)

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 11:23:57 AM »
Sonic games are..."cool." Well, they're fun. At least they were until Shadow The Hedgehog came out. Then Sonic just, died...

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
I'd say Sonic as a character is pretty cool, although I like his older design better. Obviously a lot of work was made in making his apperance as appealing as possible and I think if you didn't know who either Mario or Sonic was, you'd think Sonic was the more cool-looking one (even if  there's a certain charm in Mario being a random italian plumber in a fantasy land). I'd recommend you atleast play the Genesis games, they're good platformers. Your friends will be totally amazed and think you're cool. And if they don't, well then you would atleast have a fun time with the games, right?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Cartoony little Italian plumbers are cute
Fat little cartoon hedgehogs are cute
Anorexic cartoon Porcupines are not
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
Sonic is cool because his games revolutionized platformers. It was a platformer that played entirely different than anything else, with level design that rewarded both speed runs and exploration.(particuarly S3&K). As far as a character...Sonic's impatient but very heroic. It's not like he's only attitude. Really, when it comes to his games now...he's a thrillseeker that always helps his friends when they need him. If you think the attitude made Sonic cool, study the 16-bit era. Look at all the bad platformers mimicing Sonic's style without the exceleent level design or intuitive controls. And yes, attitude stretched to the level or annoying. Bubsy, anyone?

Sonic's character is probably more...negative than most company mascots. He's kind of arrogant and self-absorbed. I'm a huge Sonic fan and even enjoy the 3D games, but really the awnser is "Play the games".Mario would just be an annoying character if the games played like Gex.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:26 PM »
Here's the way I see it:

Mario is like Superman or Captain America. They're old-fashioned and stand for traditional but still well-structured morals that stand the test of time.

Sonic is like Spider-Man. He's youthful and has flaws, but still understand his importance and maintains a sense of raw justice. That, and his main series went through ridiculous downward spiral. Too bad video game franchises don't get Ultimate unvierses. :\

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »
That, and his main series went through ridiculous downward spiral.

Yeesh, tell me about it! I loved the original Spiderman series but I can't stand the new stuff. Same goes for Sonic.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »
Here's the way I see it:

Mario is like Superman or Captain America. They're old-fashioned and stand for traditional but still well-structured morals that stand the test of time.

Sonic is like Spider-Man. He's youthful and has flaws, but still understand his importance and maintains a sense of raw justice. That, and his main series went through ridiculous downward spiral. Too bad video game franchises don't get Ultimate unvierses. :\

1) There SHOULD be Ultimate universes for Sonic and Mario. Srsly.

2) I hope we don't get to comparing game companies/characters to musicians/soda brands again.

3) I've always imagined Toad as kind of Spawn-like. Who agrees?
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »
Ultimate Marvel is horrible enough as it is. We don't need other people making that mistake too.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
I'm guessing Chupperson hates them for reasons the rest of us can't comprehend, though I can't see how they're worse than some of the decisions recently made in the regular series.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »
I didn't say the recent Earth-616 developments were good either, but that's beside the point.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
What was wrong with the Ultimate universes anyway?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 07:53:18 PM »
I guess if you never read comics before it might be okay, but I really don't understand the point of retelling or sometimes mangling the stories of already established comics. I suppose the idea is to make it easier for noobs to digest, but that's dumb because most of the comics had been going for 40 years just fine before they started doing this.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
In some cases, it could be an attempt at a reboot either for the sake of updating the universe into the modern age, or because the universe became too cluttered/messed up/hard to work with. I like if it's a writer or artist who simply wanted to do a different take on the character and it's universe, but that's probably more along the lines of DC's Elseworlds books.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
Marvel doesn't do reboots. They've stuck with one continuity (save for What If?/MC2 and maybe a few other side projects) while DC has gone through 50000000 different versions of their franchises. That's why Ultimate Marvel is so baffling. That and the redone characters are nowhere near as well-engineered as the originals.
That was a joke.

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 05:33:12 AM »
I've read the first 12 or so Ultimate Spider-Man issues and thoroughly enjoyed them. One of them even had some of the funniest stuff I've seen this side of Peter David.

I've read the Ultimate Fantastic Fours that dealt with the zombie FF. They were fine I suppose.

I've read some random Ultimates and did not enjoy them.

Print