Print

Author Topic: New Wii U controller revealed!  (Read 13314 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
Original:

Smaller Rehost:

Third times an (even smaller) charm?

Full size original image:  http://twitpic.com/9mx9jd/full
Full size rehoted image:  http://i.imgur.com/BPXt0.jpg
Full size rehoted image 2:  http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/05/5826991451.jpg
Smaller rehosted image:  http://www.freeimagehosting.net/xb7f8

Sticks!  Changed orientation.  Gray Wii U logo.  Light up Home button.  What's the square under the  d-pad?  A vitality sensor, near field communication, or touch pad like the new Microsoft mouse scroll?  What's the square button between the battery light and power button? 

Possible comparison based on patent images:

Comparison to E3 layout: 

Edit:  Looks like the original image is gone so I rehosted it above and attached it below.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:10:52 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Looks more comfortable to hold. Moving the sticks out a bit looks less sexy, but is probably much more ergonomic.

Having the Start and Select buttons up there makes more sense than having them at the bottom, but it's still less than ideal. The only good place to put Start and Select buttons is in the middle of the controller. Anywhere else ends up being awkward.

I was okay with circle pads. If the rumors are to be believed, though, these sticks are clickable, so there's that.

Nice to see they learned from the 3DS and put the stylus back in the place where it's convenient for 90% of the population.

I forget, are the shoulder buttons with Zs in the name the ones on the top or the bottom on this one? Whatever, I'm just gonna call them triggers and bumpers. The triggers look like they might be slightly analog this time around, but probably not, which would be a shame.

Those square buttons look more like just those rubber squares on the DS, but put in places where they don't make any sense.

Light-up Home button is cool.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
Nice to see they learned from the 3DS and put the stylus back in the place where it's convenient for 90% of the population.

Not quite. It was REALLY perfect in the side of the DS Lite, 'cause you could move your hand off the buttons and take the stylus out in one fluid motion. Sticking it in the top is fine, but not as good.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:28:11 AM »
I forget, are the shoulder buttons with Zs in the name the ones on the top or the bottom on this one? Whatever, I'm just gonna call them triggers and bumpers. The triggers look like they might be slightly analog this time around, but probably not, which would be a shame.
The E3 model called the triggers "L" and "R" while the shoulder/bumpers were "ZL" and "RL" respectively. 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:56:52 AM »
First thought: "wait what"
Second thought: "oh yeah, that's how the GameCube controller's buttons were labeled"
Third thought: "L and R don't look as nice as the 360 controller's triggers"

The only good place to put Start and Select buttons is in the middle of the controller. Anywhere else ends up being awkward.
The DS Lite and PSP have off-center Start and Select buttons, and I never found those awkward or difficult to use. And the Wii U tablet looks big enough that with the original placement, most players would need to remove a hand from the controller to be able to press Start or Select, which is incredibly awkward compared to just being able to reach a thumb over.

After looking at the Classic Controller Pro: "why do they keep swapping the labels for the shoulder buttons"

CrossEyed7

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
Also this.

I like how every console has the sticks in different places now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
I just nioticed the USB port on top. Are these chargeable?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
Probably. 

Are the shoulder buttons and triggers analog? 

Are the analog sticks clickable?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
The GamePad sticks were ultra-confirmed to be clickable in the Direct video (visually, verbally, and aurally), so it's probably safe to assume the Pro ones are too. No word on trigger analogicity yet.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
Probably. 
I can see some sort of light by the port. Anyone here at E3?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
Uh, yeah, that's gonna just be THE controller, as far as I'm concerned, Nice try.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »

Apparently they're the other way now.

Also, I love how everyone's complaining about the news that using a second Upad will cut the framerate from 60 fps to 30. Like, dudes, seriously. The only way for two Upads to not use more processing power than one Upad would be if the Upads had their own CPU and GPU, which would make them cost about as much as an actual handheld. And if they made the console powerful enough to stream to two Upads at 60fps, they'd ask why it doesn't jump up to 120fps with one. And if they didn't let it use two Upads at all, they'd complain about that.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
I also just noticed that what I thought was a USB port might be a DS (original/lite) charge port.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
or you know

a wii u controller charge port

honk honk
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
or you know

a wii u controller charge port

honk honk
But if you look closely at it you can se that it looks similar, if not the same as a DS port.

Print