Print

Author Topic: Any arcades near your home?  (Read 7905 times)

« on: February 23, 2008, 12:52:40 AM »
After reading the news that Street Fighter 4 would arrive in the U.S. early via arcade cabinets, I was more than disappointed at the many people cracking jokes that arcades don't exist in the U.S. anymore. It's understandable that there popularity has fallen due to technological advances, but they're not completely extinct.

In my area, I've seen many malls that carry an arcade chain that calls itself "Tilt" and it's been around for years. I go to those places every chance I have, and the machines that always attract the huge crowds are Dance Dance Revolution and Capcom vs. SNK 2. They offer ticket redemption machines as well as prize machines that offer prizes such as lamps, plushies and even an Xbox360 and a Wii.

A lot of small restaurants also carry NeoGeo cabinets, although most of the games they offer are old, like Art of Fighting and SNK sports.

Not to mention chains like Chuck E. Cheese's and Dave & Busters have arcades, as well as lobbies in theatres.

So do you guys live near any arcades? Are they anything like the ones here, which is to say awesome? Will you push for them to order Street Fighter 4 and blow your money playing that game, which will no doubt rule?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »
There used to be a really cool one in my mall, but it closed down and now it's an H&R Block. I was angry.

The closest one is in the IMAX theater about 10 minutes from my house. It's pretty lame, but it has Time Crisis and The Simpsons so it's a winner in the end.

There's a Dave and Busters in Denver as well.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:21:41 AM »
The closest thing to an arcade I have around here is the little one in the movie theater. I've only been in there a few times, and always just end up playing Dig-Dug on the Namco Classics Series Vol. 1 machine or whatever the name is.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »
There are some arcade machines in various local restaurants, but given that there are like 5 boardwalks on the Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia lol) Peninsula, I've been to some pretty large, awesome arcades. I'll probably end up playing SFIV in the arcade. Of course, I think I'll be happier with the old Street Fighter II Turbo.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:20:35 AM by SolidShroom »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:25:42 AM »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:52:11 AM »
^Image of the year

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »
I like images as much as the next guy, and as far as I know MV did indeed take that photo. But can we stop with the image of the year stuff? Posting some image you've taken no effort to create and getting some kind of award for it is just stupid.

Oh, and there's this place called "Nickel Town", but I've never been there.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
Ah yeah, we have a place called Nickel-A-Play, where each game costs a nickel (and some a penny!). The catch is, if you use their change machine, they don't give you a dollar's worth of nickels.

Which reminds me, in Manitou there's an arcade that spans the area of multiple stores in one spot (and some parts of it are outdoors!). Some stores have penny games, some have games where you play for tickets and prizes, and some have just awesome games. I played Police Trainer (my favorite arcade game ever) for hours. I can get to the second-to-last officer thing on one credit!

I don't get the funny in MaxVance's picture. Either I'm retarded or it's not funny at all. And I'm not about to admit to the former.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
I don't get the funny in MaxVance's picture. Either I'm retarded or it's not funny at all. And I'm not about to admit to the former.
Check the filename for a hint.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
There's a few arcade machines at my local Burger King (and by "local" I mean "a few miles away".)
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
Sadly, the only arcade games that exist around the area I live are the classic "Buck Hunter" games in bars, and classic racing games wherever else. There is an real arcade around here called the "Time Out", but that is miles away.

Ah yeah, we have a place called Nickel-A-Play, where each game costs a nickel (and some a penny!). The catch is, if you use their change machine, they don't give you a dollar's worth of nickels.

Which reminds me, in Manitou there's an arcade that spans the area of multiple stores in one spot (and some parts of it are outdoors!). Some stores have penny games, some have games where you play for tickets and prizes, and some have just awesome games. I played Police Trainer (my favorite arcade game ever) for hours. I can get to the second-to-last officer thing on one credit!

I don't get it either. I even looked at the filename and still don't get it.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
it's not funny
because I don't watch Futurama and therefore do not get the joke.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
R.O.T.F.L.!  Nice photo!  Did you take that, or is it a repost?

To those who don't get it, it's a reference to one of those fantasy eps of "Futurama."  Video game-themed aliens invade Earth, and Fry is mankind's only hope, since he's the biggest video game nerd.  Recalling his days at the arcade, he says something like, "It's Friday night.  I have no date, a bottle of Shasta, and an all-Rush mix tape."  Classic.

There used to be a huge arcade in the local mall, but it's gone, presumably because it didn't make enough money to cover expenses.  Making it was a big project, too.  Shame.  There are now 2 different Time Outs in the selfsame mall, but they're pretty bare bones.  Each has a different version of "Galaga," and I'm known to waste quarters getting high scores.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
To those who don't get it, it's a reference to one of those fantasy eps of "Futurama."  Video game-themed aliens invade Earth, and Fry is mankind's only hope, since he's the biggest video game nerd.  Recalling his days at the arcade, he says something like, "It's Friday night.  I have no date, a bottle of Shasta, and an all-Rush mix tape."  Classic.
Thanks for clarifying that. XP

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Nope, but there are a lot of arcade machines in my FYE, if you count that. It's creepy, because every time I go there I hear sounds from the original Donkey Kong...

Print