October 31, 2005 - In a recent interview with Business Week Online, Nintendo's legendary designer / producer Shigeru Miyamoto commented on the videogame industry, Revolution, and what the future holds.

Miyamoto likened creating hit videogames to the intuitive, pick-up-and-play design of the Rubik's Cube and told the publication that the arrival of 3D graphics with PlayStation and Nintendo 64 have been, at least up until now, the biggest recent innovation in videogames.

The figurehead once more dismissed the notion that Nintendo only designs games for kids. "We want our games to be for anyone from five to 95 years-old," he said. "We disagree with people who say, 'Nintendo is for kids, Sony is for adults.'"

Speaking about Revolution, Miyamoto reiterated the Big N's hope that entire families will play with the machine. "Most people think videogames are all about a child staring at a TV with a joystick in his hands. I don't. They should belong to the entire family. I want entire families to play together. That was the concept behind Revolution."

Asked what he thought videogames would be like in the future, Miyamoto suggested removing what has always been a key ingredient for the medium: televisions. "It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs," he said. "But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that."

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but we can only speculate that because Miyamoto does not want to elaborate on the subject, he has created a machine that turns rooms into videogames, hovers, and enables time travel. Let the message boards implode.

Source:  http://cube.ign.com/articles/663/663059p1.html