Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 368933 times)

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

Behold, the *official* HG/SS Johto map. Particularly noteworthy in my opinion are the six-segmented park west of Cianwood Island and the enormous spire-like building added beside Goldenrod City.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:26:52 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
Since the radio tower is either gone or even smaller than Sprout Tower, I think it might be that.

Look at that bridge over Route 32... it doesn't seem to be connecting any landmarks the original games had.

Another thing... Indigo Plateau seems to be located in a valley IN Mt. Silver. Route 26 goes straight into the mountain. Silver Cave is way over in the corner of it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Similarly, there appears to be a mountain path slightly noth of Route 27 which doesn't connect to anything significant on either end... Unless, of course, it's a piece of track that's been exposed to verify the Magnet Train's return.

EDIT: I've found a larger version of the map.  Since the six squares of land northwest of Cianwood appear to be divided by "elements", it might be the game's Pal Park. Additionally, note the reoccurence of the Battle Tower in its original Crystal location, just west of Olivine. It's mostly obscured by clouds, but its base is clearly visible.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:37:52 PM by Weegee »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »
I'm fairly certain that's not a bridge, but is the monorail that took you to Kanto.

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
Good point, BM -- That accounts for both the bridge over Route 32 and the one north of Route 27.

Ken Sugimori or whoever else composes these official maps deserves some serious credit for the painstaking detail which goes into them. Honestly, who'd have taken the time to account for such subtleties as the little island where you acquire the Mystic Water?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
Oh-ho, excellent point. That is probably the bridge over Tohjo Falls as well.

Transportation in the games has always been so dubious... How on Earth do the boats leave Vermilion if Cycling Road is clearly a dirt path in the games? Or is it a fancy bridge with dirt on it? And the Magnet Train's tracks were only ever seen in Goldenrod and Saffron. Weird. Weirder still, it is down the whole time you're in Johto, start to finish, but when you finally reach Cerulean the last Rocket Grunt is still making his escape...

What I like about Sugimori's maps is how... pure they are. Nowadays, anyway, and especially in this one. By that I mean, the edges of the mountains and forests you'll be able to touch in the game are as square as they will be. The roads do not curve. It fits to the grid. He's gotten much better. The oldest Kanto map depicts a barren wasteland of rounded lies.
It's YOUR problem!

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
This game is going to be so amazing.

Btw, that Golden area above Ecruteak is not a desert, but a golden leaf forest.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
Btw, that Golden area above Ecruteak is not a desert, but a golden leaf forest.

Is this speculation or fact?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
It's believed to be fact.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Then...it's not fact.

More importantly, WHO believes it?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
A cutscene featuring Ho-oh kind of says it is a Golden leaf forest.

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
Would you be so kind as to toss us a link to said cutscene, Tv_Themes?

On that note, it's worth wondering whether Kanto will return as the dilapidated shadow of its glorious former self as seen in G/S/C, or if the Safari Zone, Silph Co. building, Lavender Tower and Cerulean Cave will make their full-fledged reappearances.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
Look at how beefed-up Johto is apparently going to be and make an educated guess.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
Err, yes?

Anyways, the Pokewalker: Love it, hate it, or somewhere in between? Personally, I find the concept of daycare-esque unregulated leveling to be far too unreliable. Really, what could be much worse than discovering that all the moves of the Pokemon you transferred to the Pokewalker had been overwritten by crappy attacks?

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »
...I see. Well thanks for your insightful input regarding the PokeWalker.

In other news, Nintendo has launched an official [Japanese] minisite for HeartGold and SoulSilver. I've already taken the liberty of putting the site through Google Translate: Although there's little translateable text on the main page, devling deeper into the site will reveal a reasonable amount of Engrish text to sift through. Who'd have thought that the Japanese name for Lugia translates to "Rugia"? I had been under the impression that such mispronunciations were nothing more than false stereotypes... heh.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:34:40 PM by Weegee »

Print