Print

Author Topic: It's been quite a while since I last was here... What happened to this place?  (Read 80514 times)

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
There's Canada, and then there's Canada.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
Ahh, I always pop in late to these little reunion parties.

I imagine, or at least hope, most people who were here back during the FF's gilded age have somewhat calmed down and lost their "oh lulz you're pretty much stupid" attitudes by now, myself included.

Anyway, that's neither here, nor there. I've been alive, and doing quite well. If you were keeping track back then, things in my own life weren't too great when I left. I needed to fix quite a bit, and I did!

Back during the start of my leaving the forum, I did check in from time to time, because it was still habit for me. Eventually it left my mind to come here. I do recall seeing one post mentioning that I was actually banned from the forum, and another one saying I literally asked to be banned to make my exit more permanent. That was pretty far from the truth, as I was pretty apathetic. I left, and stopped posting. Then a ban was added, and later removed. Plain and simple.

So...yup. I returned to college not long after leaving. Then I transferred to another college, majored in music, and got my degree. I left New York not long after...actually, I left the country.

You could probably take a good stab at where I live now, since I claimed I'd want to move there one day. And I did. I live in one of the southern areas of Japan now.

Actually, this is the second time I'm living in Japan. Back in 2011 I did a study abroad in Shizuoka, similar to what our old friend Watoad did back when he was in college. On top of that I got to visit both Tokyo and Kyoto. I wanted to make an unexpected appearance on the FF with a photo of me standing in front of Nintendo Co. Ltd., but since NCL's just an office and not much else, I ended up not going there.

So, living on my own now, working a salaried job, doing the adult life thing.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
Glad you got everything sorted out, and it sounds like you are doing well.

Welcome back!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »
Watoad, Suffix and now Vid all live in Japan. And TEM lives in China.

Is there an unseen force that brings FF users to Asia once they reach adulthood?

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »
Does WarpRattler live in Japan? I'm sure he will eventually.
Relics.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »
Woah! Hey Vid. Long time no see! Sounds like things are gong well for you!

Great to see you around these parts.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
Whoa, he's back! Well, hey, good to hear you're keepin' on keeping on. I'm not planning on moving to Japan myself, but i'm still writing a book set there, and would like to tour again.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 09:02:04 PM »
Jeez.
I mean I've been on here for a decent bit but it still makes me feel fuzzy inside seeing people who are from around '06 returning.
Oh yeah and hello.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »
I had to buy special geo-magnetic boots so I wouldn't get sucked into Japan.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »
Glad you got everything sorted out, and it sounds like you are doing well.

Welcome back!
Thanks. I'd say my personal situation is miles ahead of what it was when I was here last, figuratively and literally.

Watoad, Suffix and now Vid all live in Japan. And TEM lives in China.
Watoad DID live in Japan, on at least two occasions. I don't know if he currently lives here now, though. I remember asking him for some tips back before my trip to Shizuoka.

Woah! Hey Vid. Long time no see! Sounds like things are gong well for you!

Great to see you around these parts.
Sup.

Whoa, he's back! Well, hey, good to hear you're keepin' on keeping on. I'm not planning on moving to Japan myself, but i'm still writing a book set there, and would like to tour again.
Sup.

I had to buy special geo-magnetic boots so I wouldn't get sucked into Japan.
I couldn't afford those. :(

I'll be totally honest, my original interest in moving to Japan was fueled by video games and anime, and seeing Watoad be able to travel there only made me want to go even more.

During my little dark period, the interest waned to almost nothing, because I saw my life wasn't really going anywhere. And seeing other people in the same boat as me didn't help matters. Not until I transferred to my second college was my interest re-invigorated. I was able to take Japanese classes, and the opportunity to study abroad also came up. The little barrier that prevented me from going very far from home was finally broken. In Shizuoka I learned more about the culture and got to experience so many different things that had nothing to do with my original interests.

When I returned to New York I felt that moving here for a longer period was a very good idea. So, I did just that. Finished my degree, found employment and moved here. The interest in moving to Japan was no longer based on video games and anime, but the culture and customs of the people, as well as the experiences I simply can't have anywhere in the States for one reason or another.

It's been just about half a year since I set up shop here. I originally planned on buying a Japanese Wii U and 3DS, but...why. Especially when downloading from the eShop and buying games online from Amazon are things.

Jeez.
I mean I've been on here for a decent bit but it still makes me feel fuzzy inside seeing people who are from around '06 returning.
Oh yeah and hello.
Sup.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
as well as the experiences I simply can't have anywhere in the States for one reason or another.
;)  ;)  ;)

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
Don't you have to go to Thailand for that?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
Uh. Jeez. I thought about the place recently and figured I'd pop in, as well. Your friendly Trainman here. Same.. username for the last uh... 12 years now? Almost 13? I see the same lurkers are still around, but yeah, I kind of see how slow it is. Vidgmchtr in Japan? Hm, maybe he finally got internet that was awesome enough for online gaming.

Anyway, hello all, it's weird posting once every couple years or so, but it's interesting to see how the forum is going and if any of the people I interacted with when I was active here are still running around. I was here during the Frozen Solid/marioguy/sadib100/Glorb/Vidgmchtr/LD/Koopaslaya/Nintendoexpert89/Sapphira era, among a ton of others.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Let me add Markio to that list with his interesting topic that would lead to TEM unintentionally creating one of the most saturated memes on the internet today. Who knew I was witnessing the birth of Advice Dog.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:13:37 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
...The secret page hasn't changed in years.
Formerly quite reasonable.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
It's become so saturated people don't even know what Advice Dog is when I try to explain that I was in Markio's thread when that happened. ._.

Print