Print

Author Topic: How about that there new Star Wars movie?  (Read 45983 times)

« on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »
What did everyone think?

I was pleasantly surprised; certainly better than the prequels, if that's even an accomplishment.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:32:07 PM »
I thought it was cool. Saw it immediately after watching the original three all in a row. It seemed to fit in well with them.

I've been told by many people that the sequels are fine to skip, so I did. Didn't seem like I was really missing anything.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:07:23 AM »
I did not see any trailers or read anything except for the two main characters' names and that less CGI was used. I feel like that's the best way to go into a movie you know you're gonna see.

I loved it. I agree with plenty of criticisms about it, that it retreads a lot of plot points, that Snoke looks totally fake, but here's the thing. I have never been this invested in the characters before. The characters in the prequels, of course, are most usually saying unbelievable things, but even in the originals you have to admit the delivery is often kinda goofy. I was really buying the acting in Force Awakens. Finn and Rey both established so strongly without saying a word. All their emotion and their pain felt real. And I think that's the really important part.

That and the fact that look at that, they weaponized stars! The title of the franchise FINALLY MAKES SENSE
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
I think I'm in the minority in that I quite liked Kylo Ren.  Interestingly, the same people who didn't like him, wishing he were just a new Vader instead of a really insecure teenager trying to fill big, evil shoes are the same people who complain that this movie is too similar to the original trilogy.

Which is also a criticism that lacks nuance when made without qualification.

Anyway, it was a good fun movie.  I've never liked this franchise as anything more than good fun, so it was exactly what I wanted.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:31:27 PM »
Had an absolute ball with it. Sure, it's similar to the first, but I feel like that was almost necessary at this point. It's like a form of detox: when you're getting somebody to kick a habit (the prequels), you start with plain foods and plenty of water--what you know works. Then move onto the more exotic dishes again.

Having said that, yeah, I agree less CGI would've been nice, but it's not like Abrams was ever a saint in that department.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:19 PM »
This had about as much CGI as an elementary-school puppet show compared to the prequels though.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 10:37:21 PM »
Also about as many midi-chlorians.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
Movie was totally awesome. I missed the first ten minutes because we had to be a little late...but that's okay, it was easy to fill in the plot details from context and I watched the opening crawl on YouTube when I got home from it anyways.
Relics.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:45:46 PM »
The first ten minutes is usually the opening crawl anyway.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:01:07 AM »
It was alright.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Haven't seen that movie yet so I can't really tell. It did appear to get much praise.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 12:55:24 AM »
So how about the new new Star Wars movie?

I liked it. The sassy gay robot was fun. Some characters had unclear motivations I thought, but I might just be bad at paying attention. Not really worth watching in 3D.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot! I like that it teased a bunch of cliches and then didn't follow through on them; there's no forced romance even though it feels like there's going to be, there's a prop that looks like it's going to turn out to be a magical plot device but is in fact just a small characterization detail, nobody at any point in the movie says the words "a new hope", etc.

Plus it's a cool action movie with freakin sick space battles.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
CGI Tarkin is the best character
read jitsu wa watashi wa

CrossEyed7

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »
The CGI Tarkin and Leia were so close to perfect. It did feel a little off, but I don't know how much of that was uncanny valley, how much was me overanalyzing it because I knew they were CG, and how much was just that Peter Cushing's actual face feels uncanny anyway.

Were Red and Gold Leader CG too? Because I don't remember noticing anything off about them.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »
****, man...RIP Carrie Fisher. [This is my 500th post!]
Relics.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
wait
[dukar]
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 06:51:11 PM »
Apparently she had already finished all her work for the next movie.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »
I'm gonna be crying all the way through Episode 8.

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »
If they don't dedicate the movie to her I swear.

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
Apparently she had already got Max Performer and finished all her work for the next movie.

Anybody seen Solo? What did you think? I actually watched it very recently. A couple of weeks or so ago. It was a decent watch.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 04:04:33 AM by Hallenbeck »

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 07:08:29 AM »
Imagine a new Star Wars movie taking place entirely within Coruscant. I would definitely settle watching that.

Print