Miscellaneous > Not at the Dinner Table

American Flag

(1/18) > >>

fuzzy:
What do you think?

PaperLuigi:
It is our right. The correct way to get rid of a flag is to burn it.

BP:
I don't see why everyone's like "OMG TEH FLAG TOUCED THE GROND WE HAF 2 BRUN IT!!!11111111111!!!!" Come on, even if it got a little bit of dirt on it you can rub/wash it off. Wouldn't that symbolize "You can't put us down with a little bit of that. We get back up." while burning the flag because it got a little dirty would symbolize "Oh no, we're hit... everything is over..."

bobman37:
The flag burning ceremony should actually be a flag retiring ceremony. It is normally used for flags that have many large tears in them and/or are extremely dirty/worn out. If done respectfully, there really should be no reason for the controversy. I don't know what the details of the controversy are exactly, but normally during the ceremony the retired flag is replaced by a brand spanking new one, so as far as I'm concerned, no big.

Vidgmchtr:
Um, if they'd like to, sure. I don't see how it'd actually hurt anyone physically. If it hurts people emotionally, I usually tell them that people don't HAVE to like the country (assuming they think that burning the flag is figuratively/literally hurting the country). Seeing as on TV when they're burning the flag, chances are they don't even live in the country, so I'd say it's alright for them to burn the flag if they want to.

I pity anyone after this post who says I sicken them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version