Print

Author Topic: New virus looks to exploit Mario fans  (Read 8698 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »

Have you ever wondered why email isn't common in the Mushroom Kingdom? Sure, we could say that the Toads are just stuck in the 80's, but the real reason might be this new virus that's going around, using their hero Mario as the culprit. A mass-mailing virus is going out that's attempting to lure users in by disguising itself as an innocent Mario game. When users launch the game though, they also launch a file containing a worm. Currently, Bowser isn't being questioned (but if he didn't do it, then who did?). Have there been other instances where Mario was used as the source for a computer virus? I can't think of any.

Hmm, seems we gotta start a virus page on the site....

Link: sophos.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:00:59 AM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »
Ugh, why would anyone want to do this anyway? "Hey, I'm gonna send a virus to everyone's computer even though I get no money for it and I'll eventually get caught and sent to jail anyway! Wow, what an amazing idea!" Unless some guy's paying him to do this.

Anyway, Mario is being used for the forces of evil; he's gone from hero to two-timing, double-crossing crook. He even makes the little children believe he's still the good guy by disguising himself as a game, then he strikes when they least expect. Don't you care about the children Mario? You disgust me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:47:50 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:41:10 AM »
It's not Mario himself. Someone is mooching off his good image. Bowser is definitely behind this. Either that or Wario.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
Get me Dr. Mario on line 1.

Mario fangames sent through e-mail--with a virus?!? I knew there was no free lunch...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:09:01 AM »
By the way, if you want the non-virus version of that game, it can be found here: http://home.wxs.nl/~mikewiering/msrc/

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 10:47:53 AM »
Bowser Jr. is at it again, or, Doopliss took Mario's identity again! O.o
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »
I used to have the unfinished version of that game (basically a fork by someone), before the guy who wrote it originally came back to put it out, and it ran fine on my old 486. Then I got the "official" version and it ran way slower.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
Ugh, why would anyone want to do this anyway?
They get what they call, "lulz."
LULZ is a corruption of L-O-L. Which stands for laugh-out-loud.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
It wasn't a fork, it was just a beta copy that was illegally sold.  I don't know why the new version would run slower unless you were just using a new version of Windows, which doesn't like old DOS programs like that very much.  It should still run great on a 486.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »
I don't think this is necessarily new...

My friend told me about someone who found a Mario fangame on his computer somehow and got infested with viruses. Perhaps it's been out for a while, but only now is...um...Bowser? Bowser Jr.? Doopliss? Wario? Waluigi? Some loser living in his mom's basement with nothing better to do than create virus Mario fangames? starting to send it out in mass e-mails.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »
No, this is new.  This is the first one specifically using the Mario game to trick people into spreading it.  Other viruses could have infected a Mario game, but that wasn't the original design.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
I guess that's what he was talking about, then.

Well, I hope the person behind this eventually gets punished. Severely. He (she? it?) deserves it for using Mario like this.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
I was running it in pure DOS iirc. Been a while though so I don't remember.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
I never expected a Mario virus...but I guess things have to happen someday.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
*thinks of the viruses in the Dr. Mario games*
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Print