Print

Author Topic: Squeeze a NES into a SMB Cart  (Read 11497 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »

I am in awe at how this person managed to shrink down a working NES into a Super Mario Bros. cartridge. He used a clone system (aka not the original NES), but I still applaud the effort it took to create!

Link: kotomiblog (French)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:37:44 AM by MEGAߥTE »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »
In-freakin'-credible.

Oh, and that would be "An NES"
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
I want one.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:16:14 AM »
Coolest thing I've seen in some time. Even cooler than when the box art for the Wii port of "Okami" accidentally had the IGN watermark on it. Still does. Hilarious mistake.

Seeing the system next to a TV really puts into perspective how small this thing is. I seriously want to see a working NES version of this. Amazing how far technology has come.

"You brought Super Mario Bros.? We don't have an NES!"
"No, see, it is an NES."
"Whoa! Got any games for it?"
*bring out another Super Mario Bros. cartridge*

Watch the guy or girl's head explode as the SMB cartridge is placed into the SMB NES.

If you want an IGN article on this NES thing, here you go:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/868/868570p1.html

By the way, I figure this thread's as good as any: Nintendo Power announced a new NES back around 1992 or earlier, around the time the SNES appeared. Visually the new NES looks a lot like the SNES, even the redesigned controller. I was wondering why on earth that new NES was never popular. I was under the impression that since the SNES advertised never having to blow into a cartridge again, that maybe the new NES would also have that benefit. It's also possible that it just looked really goofy, or everyone already had an NES and didn't see the appeal of buying a new one if the old one's not broken (yet).
The new NES
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:26:35 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:43:04 PM »
I've had one of those top-loaders for a while now. The problem is that the only output on it requires an RF switch. Other than that, it's pretty sweet, especially the controller.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
Problem is, NOACs can't play some games, and are known for unreliability and lack of accuracy in playing games they do support.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
The biggest problem I've run into with NOACs is that they're actually FOACs.  Which means the second controller doesn't have operational Start and Select buttons since Famicom controller II had a microphone in place of those buttons.  Aside from that, they've worked well for me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:26:55 PM by MEGAߥTE »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
Even cooler than when the box art for the Wii port of "Okami" accidentally had the IGN watermark on it. Still does. Hilarious mistake.
Oh, God, don't get me started on that (I was planning on posting about it later). I'm loving the game and don't really stare at the boxart a whole lot anyway, but that's just... lazy. I mean, there's ugly boxarts out there, but at least the pictures on there were straight from the source. It's especially strange considering how obsessively Capcom is re-pushing this game (there's a message inside the instrucion booklet thanking you for buying it)... you figure they'd follow through on that with a little quality control. Wasn't the picture on the cover made by someone who worked on the original game, anyway? Did they have to get a second-hand one because Clover has the rights to the original pic? What does IGN have to say about this? Capcom?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Doesn't Capcom put thank-yous in every game manual they ever write?
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
I have a top loader, it works wonders since there's no blinking.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
That's so awesome! Incredible!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »
I tried to get both of them by filling out two orders with different mailing addresses, but I think I aroused their suspicions by sending in two orders from people with the same last name and first initial with the same IP address, because the second confirmation email never came.

On topic: Cool NES.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
I got three confirmations.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »
Doesn't Capcom put thank-yous in every game manual they ever write?
Beats me... the only other Capcom games I've ever had are Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and I don't think those had thank-yous. The point is, they are pushing this game a lot (rightfully so, but... well, I'd just be repeating myself).

Print