Print

Author Topic: Games you think are perfect  (Read 17792 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:43 AM »
My only problem with it is that its length takes away from its credibility. It's tough to believe you gave that much thought to that many games and didn't come up with a single flaw in any of them at all.

Of course, if you did, that's fine, whatever, I'm not gonna argue with it. I personally can come up with ten or twenty things I think are wrong with HeartGold but if you think it's perfect even with facts like how you have to leave the multiplayer battle room everytime you want to change up your party, you can't get additional Berry Pots, HM moves occupy slots in a moveset, the encounter rate in caves is retardedly high, there's a ten-letter limit on nicknames, Flareon's movepool is crappy, Blissey is grossly overpowered, you can't delete phone numbers of NPCs who only exist to bother you, Battle Points are a little too hard to get, it has unseeable stats, meeting Giovanni is event-exclusive, the GB sounds' songs aren't accurate to the original G/S/C soundtrack, and doing the prize drawing in Goldenrod City to get TMs is annoying, it's fine.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
My only problem with it is that its length takes away from its credibility. It's tough to believe you gave that much thought to that many games and didn't come up with a single flaw in any of them at all.

...but it's my opinion. And I really do think those games are flawless for their genre. Sorry.

Honest to god, it's not worth over analyzing my lazy ass lists.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:37:56 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:34 AM »
And it's fine. I mean, as long as you think it is perfect FOR all of those things, not IN SPITE of them, which would defy the definition of the word
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:58 AM »
My criteria for perfection is pretty simple. Maybe a little too simple, but hey, I can't change it. If I had a balling ass time with the game, it's perfect. That's all there is to it.

Perfect as in, there is not a single thing in it that you ever find yourself complaining about.

And that's pretty much every game I listed, honest to god. To me, it's just kind of a dick move to say "BUT THAT GAME SUCKED!" when a) it's not about games that you don't like and b) that's probably not going to change a person's opinion of the game.

An opinion pertaining to perfection pretty much seals the deal, man. Not to mention it could be for any stupid reason. If you want me to type out why I found those games perfect, every reason is going to amount to me having an absolute blast playing them. That's all I can say...yeah I'm a lazy bunghole when it comes to critical thought about video games. I suppose that's why I like NatDT more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:16:51 AM by PaperLuigi »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »
It's okay if you think they're perfect. Just wanted to be sure you were being real with 'em--it's not about thinking which games have the most positive things, but which ones have 100% positive things and zero negative things. In your review of it, the word "but" would be nowhere to be found. The tiniest flaw would kick a game out of a list in this thread. The most minor thing. It's not supposed to be easy to use such a strong word to describe a work--that's why your list looked off to me.

Incidentally, being perfect wouldn't automatically have to make it your favorite game ever. It's entirely possible, understandable, and probably even likely that you could love another game more but have a problem with something in it.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
Again, that probably has to do with me being lazy about making lists and not putting a ton of critical thought into how I enjoy vidya games.

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 01:39:05 AM »
Here's the deal, PL and everyone else.

This thread would be ultro boring if it was just people listing their favorite games. Instead, people are challenging each other's opinions of what makes a particular game well-crafted, which prompts good game discussion. That is orders of magnitude more interesting to read and take part in, rather than "I LIEK THIS GAM".

I encourage you all to keep challenging each other's lists. Those of you who brought up the game in the first place: don't take it personally, or else you run the risk of sounding immature and killing a good discussion.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:50:40 AM by bobman37 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 02:01:35 AM »
I've been thinking about Paper Mario 2 ever since it was brought up. I just got my complaint: Twilight Trail. Back and forth and back and forth... graaagh. It wouldn't be so bad if the area surrounding Twilight Town were larger and you were sent out in multiple different directions each time, but imagine if, say, Hooktail Castle was beyond Shhwonk Fortress but you still had to go back to the start of Petal Meadows with the Sun and Moon Stones to open it.

Also, it's always a blast to not have to do an information fetch quest because of prior knowledge from having played the game before--sending you back to Creepy Steeple to get the P feels like the game is yanking your leash. Good way to punish a GameFAQs reader, annoying for everyone who plays games right.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »
I've been thinking about Paper Mario 2 ever since it was brought up. I just got my complaint: Twilight Trail. Back and forth and back and forth... graaagh.

Eh I saw it as a good opportunity to get more experience. There were some unusually strong Goombas on that trail.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
Also, Peggle is perfect. All the parts fit together: color scheme, characters, music, all working towards a singular theme of open, accessable, and inviting gameplay. The difficulty curve is progressive and reasonable, all the powers are viable, and plenty of replayability. Polished to a magnificient sheen.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I think Peggle depends too much on luck. Which is totally fine, it's a great game, but a perfect game should be a little more involved. Plus a lot of the superpowers are worthless. But I also really like that game

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
It's only luck if you aren't great at geometry or timing.  Which powers do you think are useless?  There are some that are very situational, but not completely useless.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Off the top of my head, the zen owl one is kind of a waste because I already know which angles to hit to get the ball where I need it. Also the rabbit magician is more annoying than useful, because you can't bank on a certain bonus from hitting the green peg, just a crapshoot extra ball or more points or something. The flippers are good for some levels but not for others, but I suppose you could just switch to a different power.

I retract my statement to only a few of the powers being useless, after some thinking most of the others are alright. Also I think some of the levels are poorly designed, and it's kind of annoying when you get the ball stuck in a valley and have to wait for the peg to disappear for the ball to continue.

A

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
My only problem with it is that its length takes away from its credibility.
That's what she said.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »
You know, I don't think there's anything I'd change about Thousand-Year Door. Maybe punch up the Excess Express chapter a little.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print