Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1706986 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7695 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
And what's the problem with being forward?  Just cut to the chase "I think you're cool let's go out". No hemming and hawing Do they Don't they malarkey.
If you're hot, nothing is wrong with it.  If you're ugly, it means you're creepy.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7696 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
I don't mean for someone to go up to a person they fancy, ask them out, and if they say no, follow them around with a pair of binoculars.

Just be calm, ask the person, and if they say no move on.  Don't make the most difficult part of the relationship the very beginning. And, if they do think you're creepy, so what? It's when the person you're already dating thinks you're creepy you have a problem
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7697 on: February 09, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »
I don't mean for someone to go up to a person they fancy, ask them out, and if they say no, follow them around with a pair of binoculars.

Just be calm, ask the person, and if they say no move on.  Don't make the most difficult part of the relationship the very beginning. And, if they do think you're creepy, so what? It's when the person you're already dating thinks you're creepy you have a problem
Well, I can certainly agree with the "not following them around with binoculars" part, but it's always been my philosophy that if they're worth asking out, then it's going to be pretty difficult to just "move on" just like that.

Mind you, I'm playing Devil's Advocate to an extent here.  I actually agree that people play too many games and that it's better to just be forward.  The problem is that too many people aren't, and to be the first person to step forward is a huge risk.  That's why it's considered hard.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:42:47 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #7698 on: February 09, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
It'll be a lot harder to move on if you keep thinking that. Trust me, I'm pretty much the same way, and 99% of the time it's your own head that'll stop you from moving forward. If you get rejected, fine. Go out and hang out with new people, take up a hobby, whatever. Just do something to keep yourself occupied, and happy, and eventually you'll find yourself over her.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7699 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
That often scares me about myself, actually, and is another angle on the issue: if I can just "get over it," then what kind of horrible person am I?  I guess it's a natural defense mechanism more than a conscious decision, but I've always found it disconcerting that I can just shrug people off.

« Reply #7700 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
The only reason I think it's a bit weird all that went on is because I knew absolutely nothing about her. We'd never even met.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7701 on: February 14, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
So, I found out yesterday that I may be losing my job in a couple of months.

Our client is pulling their entire business out of our building (we've already lost part of it—a good chunk of our site is leaving on Thursday), and if we can't find a new client, everyone's gone on April 13th.

Even if we do get a new client, until April 13th, there's a good chance we're going to be dealing with the same crap the group who's out on Thursday went through: less calls, large amounts of time between calls, people being pulled off the phones to keep the queue time down, people being sent home early for the same reason, and less money for us in general.

« Reply #7702 on: February 19, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
One word: allergies.

And my insurance just got terminated. What a beautiful world we live in.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #7703 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
Are you suffering from allergies and the beautiful world because you're walking everywhere since your insurance was terminated? XD

(I feel for you. Joking is my defense mechanism)

I have another visit to the dentist tomorrow, to have more teeth pulled (a tooth, anyway). The dentist has tried to rationalize for me and tell me that I have a smaller mouth so getting to trouble areas has been difficult. While I agree (she's never lied to me as far as I know), part of the reason I've had so many problems now is becuase I was a stupid kid that didn't take care of his teeth.

I would go for days without brushing before I was 13 (younger me didn't see the need), then I paid a little more attention and brushed at least once a day. Sometime around 20 I started brushing at least twice a day..

Anyway, take care of your teeth! Otherwise you'll end up with a story like mine.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7704 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »
Our internet conneciton has been cutting out every 20 or 30 minutes for the past couple months. My dad has been on the phone with at least five different Pakistanis, but they're just taking us in circles. I agree with my dad that all outsourced tech-support employees should be required to take a government-mandated English class.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7705 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
Speaking as an outsourced tech-support employee*, I think all outsourced tech-support employees outside the US should be required to take a government-mandated English class.

I also think all people should be required to pass an Internet literacy test before being allowed to use email, post on forums, publish a Web site, or own a smartphone.

*Until April 13th.

« Reply #7706 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
Whose government?

« Reply #7707 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
Why do the tech-savvy always complain about people not knowing the difference between a modem and a router even though we were never taught it in school? My dad doesn't even know what it means to "minimize" a page, and he types capital letters with Caps Lock rather than Shift.

By the way, here's the icon that appears for about two minutes three or four times every hour. What's really frustrating is when a download gets disrupted during those downtimes, as it won't resume once connectivity is restored. Rather, you have to refresh the page and wait for it to load from the beginning.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7708 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Oh yeah, that mothereffing yellow exclamation point sign. I know that feel, bro. Just like I know the feel of talking to Middle Eastern guys who, for whatever reason, are told to give me a white guy's name when they switch over to sell credit card telespam.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7709 on: April 02, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
LD: Presumably such a thing would be government-mandated for the company that's sending jobs overseas, so probably ours. They could even call it an incentive to keep jobs in the country: you don't have to pay to put potential employees through years of education if they live in the US!

Weegee: The difference between manual and automatic transmission and the basic mechanics behind the former aren't taught in school either, but no one I know seems to have a problem with knowing such. The difference here is that cars are cool and computers aren't, so guess which thing people care to learn about?

ShadowBrian: US-based call center reps have to deal with them as well. All the time. And I can guarantee we hate them more than you do. You only have to talk to them when you have an issue; imagine having to talk to them five days a week.

Print