Print

Author Topic: Will there ever be a new Super Mario cartoon?  (Read 56373 times)

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 06:10:06 AM »
bull[dukar] speculation: The DIC cartoons were produced at a time where Nintendo's western subsidiaries had more independance (and thus, more opportunities to whore out the franchise) and Mario, while very popular, wasn't quite the revered staple it is now; thus, there were far less worries of devaluing the franchise with low-quality derivative material. Nodaway, Nintendo is very protective of the image of its bigger series (Bowser's brief appearance in Wreck-It-Ralph was tightly monitored by Nintendo), and NOJ probably thinks those Super Mario-kun mangos are the most cost-effective way to promote new releases. The failure of the F-Zero anime (and I don't think Kirby did all that hot either, though I'm not as sure) probably compounded that.

Real answer: SMW cartoon was a TOUGH act to follow.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »
^ During my last year of school, someone from the Sesame Workshop came to speak to us in our Career Strategies class. He said his first job was as a translator for DiC and he had the intro from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show in his reel. After class ended I asked him a few choice questions about how the show even got made, and he said point-blank "Nintendo did not care". He told me all they did was hand them the newest games and said "Play these and see what you can come up with". Between this and the supposed thing I read on SMB Movie Archive where Nintendo only did the movie as a test to see if a movie would affect the Mario brand long-term, I'm gonna go and assume the same applied to the cartoons. Thus, Nintendo won't ever make another Mario cartoon or movie simply because they don't need one.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
NOJ probably thinks those Super Mario-kun mangos are the most cost-effective way to promote new releases. The failure of the F-Zero anime (and I don't think Kirby did all that hot either, though I'm not as sure) probably compounded that.

Didn't they delay Pikmin 3 to make an anime for it?

I think the bull[dukar] speculation is it. Paper Mario was killed because the significance of story was considered a bad thing... I wonder how long Mario & Luigi has... I think the best way to put it is that they don't want Mario to offend anyone ever, and will go to whatever lengths to make sure that doesn't happen. Which is funny because people look at Peach and guess that she must be the picture of how women are treated in all games and get all up-in-arms about it. Or is that why she's playable in 3D World?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
Didn't they delay Pikmin 3 to make an anime for it?

Oh right, I forgot that (though Miyamoto has contradicted himself on wheter it is a series of shorts to promote the game in theaters or a full-blown series) though I don't think they ever delayed the game because of it.

Thus, Nintendo won't ever make another Mario cartoon or movie simply because they don't need one.

Yeah, that too.

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
Thus, Nintendo won't ever make another Mario cartoon or movie simply because they don't need one.
Are you sure? With the current state of the Wii U, they need one more now than they did in the 80s, when they had complete control of the market.

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
The New Super Mario Bros Super Show actually has a nice ring to it. And they could take comedic timing from the M&L games (most notably the first one had the best comedic bits, but the other games have had their share too).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
Are you sure? With the current state of the Wii U, they need one more now than they did in the 80s, when they had complete control of the market.

Are we talking about a new Mario cartoon or a Wii U cartoon?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
Paper Mario was killed because the significance of story was considered a bad thing... I wonder how long Mario & Luigi has...

Miyamoto was supervisor on Dream Team, and it's got lore and backstory (though, notably, it doesn't have any moments where it unironically tries to be sad, like SMRPG and the PMs did), so maybe they're backing off on that. Or maybe they're testing to see if Dream Team sells better than Sticker Star, and the winner decides whether Mario can have stories.

Also, on the not offending anyone note, it's interesting how the Mario & Luigi games occasionally lightly imply that Luigi's gay or bi (there's his crush on Peasley in SSS, and in Dream Team, there's a point late in the game where one male character wants to "nap on" another male character, and Luigi cheers him on with a ^o^ face while Mario looks shocked. Also that scene takes place in Luigi's subconscious.).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
Luigi also seems to go after every girl that comes his way (Daisy, Eclair, Rosalina, probably even Peach), so maybe he's that desperate for companionship.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
Hmm. I'll support LuigixPeasley. Because I'd really like it if the Beanbean Kingdom and residents made a comeback. OTP, =3 pomf, just make yaio babies already.
It's YOUR problem!

edward1978

• Agent, US Department of the Redundancy Department
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
So let me get this straight, so the reason why Mario can't get a new cartoon is because Nintendo won't let Mario have one?  If that is the case then why won't Nintendo let Mario have a new cartoon?  If I were Mario, I would tell Nintendo to give me a new cartoon or I will leave Nintendo.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
Nintendo's real specific about what Mario says and does these days and that is not one of them
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
Which really is unfortunate considering just how *good* the writing was in his non main series games. TTYD has some my favorite writing in any RPG, and the Mario and Luigi games are incredibly quotable and fun.

Hell, even Mickey Mouse gets to have a personality these days. It seems weird for Nintendo to be ruining their potential to make people actually like Mario as a character in the way they have with Luigi. I *love* Luigi as a character. He's incredibly fun. Mario... not so much.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
A while ago I would have disagreed, but Dark Moon made the best of what Luigi's character has (it's not much more than Mario's does when it gets right down to it). Certainly better than... whatever it is Smash Bros. is trying to make of him. Some kind of defective robot? Dunno if I hate Defective Robot Luigi or Really Mad Mario more.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
So let me get this straight, so the reason why Mario can't get a new cartoon is because Nintendo won't let Mario have one?

I didn't know you worked for the US Department of the Redundancy Department!

Print