Miscellaneous > Not at the Dinner Table

Is killing a murderer wrong?

(1/6) > >>

Hello:):
Discuss.

PaperLuigi:
Depends on the moral framework you're employing.

According to Christianity, "You shall not kill" is a moral imperative, although God himself frequently breaks his own rule in the Old Testament. Trying to figure that out is a barrel full of fun in itself.

Utilitarianism says it's okay if the alternative produces less desirable results. Most utilitarians prefer life in prison over execution, I think.

Rawlsian deontologists believe an act is wrong if it breaks a rule that rational individuals agree upon behind a veil of ignorance. Given that it's extremely difficult to prove guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt, they wouldn't desire the death penalty for heinous crimes (although they'd also seek to lock up convicted murderers).

Nihilists don't believe anything is right or wrong. Kick the ******* and hug his puppy.

CrossEyed7:
Let's say you kill someone you are sufficiently convinced is a murderer. If I'm convinced they were innocent, would I be justified in killing you (...justified in whose eyes?)?

PaperLuigi:
Also, this is relevant. Language warning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUv2OTVm9M

Hello:):

--- Quote from: CrossEyed7 on December 23, 2012, 08:10:10 PM ---Let's say you kill someone you are sufficiently convinced is a murderer. If I'm convinced they were innocent, would I be justified in killing you (...justified in whose eyes?)?

--- End quote ---
Depends if there's absolute proof of the man being a murderer, if so, no. However, I mean with absolute proof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version