Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr.  (Read 19425 times)

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »
For some reason there's no "New Topic" button on the main page (help please?)

I am experiencing the same thing. I guess new members are restricted from starting new topics for a little while.

These Wikipedia articles don't really help resolve Donkey Kong's identity, but they're a good source for "official" opinions on the matter.

DK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong#Successors

DK Jr:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Jr.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:33:56 PM by CrockAlley »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 01:03:59 PM »
There is(sort of) proof that the current DK(from here on I will refer to him as Super DK) is the grandson of Cranky Kong.Remember Super Mario Kart? DK Jr. was a playable character. Also remember how large he was. He later reappeared in Mario's Tennis(Virtual Boy). It should be noted that that the first DK is not present at this time. Then in 1994, DKC comes out out and then we see what happened to the original DK. He's old and DK Jr. appears to have had a son, who's currently a teenager. As for what happened to DK Jr., I don't know. Maybe he became one with the force or something.

Timeline

-1981:DK meets Mario.
-1982:DK has a son(with who is supposedly Wrinkly Kong)
-1983:DK meets Stanley and DK Jr. ages.
-1984-1992: DK and his family move to Kongo Jungle and they grow older.
-1993:DK Jr. is now a lot older and participates in  Super Mario Kart races.
-1994:DK Jr. is an adult and has a son of his own. He carries his father's legacy by kiddnapping Pauline in Donkey Kong '94 on Game Boy.
-1995-1999: DK Jr.'s son ages and becomes Super DK. DK Jr. mysteriously dissapears.
-2000:The events of DKC and DK64 take place here and on.

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 04:10:47 PM »
That's not his theory, it's proven factual data.

Diddy Kong cannot be Donkey Kong Jr. because Jr. is a gorilla, but Diddy is a monkey.

Diddy Kong is simply stated to be Donkey Kong's little buddy. In other words, he's just DK's friend.

who was murdered by diddy kong so diidy could be famous.

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »
Apparently one of the Rare guys, Leigh Loveday, confirmed that their version of Donkey Kong is supposed to be a grown up Donkey Kong Jr.

Personally, I prefer the classic versions.

So, anyone know where I can find any GB Donkey Kong/Game & Watch Gallery etc official art of DK Jr? Thanks.

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
Here's some artwork of DKjr. from Mario Tennis (64), Donkey Kong '94 , Game and Watch 3 and Game and watch 4, courteous of www.gamehiker.com

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 06:27:47 PM »
That's just the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks dude!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 07:45:38 PM »
Apparently one of the Rare guys, Leigh Loveday, confirmed that their version of Donkey Kong is supposed to be a grown up Donkey Kong Jr.

Personally, I think that's dumb. I find it much easier to reason how DK Jr. is no longer present using the grandson theory. I also think that Rare may have confused themselves along the way of creating the DKCs.

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
How's that dumb? It makes perfect sense to me. Infact, I know apes age faster then humans, but I think it's hard to believe that DKjr. (who was only a kid back in the days of the NES) grew up and had a son who then grew up and became the current DK, but who knows, it could be more plausble then my theory if apes age faster then I think they do (not to mention the Marioverse is a fictional world, were alot is possible).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 02:40:51 PM »
OK, I was a bit harsh. It's just that I spent a while divising that theory.

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
It makes tons more sense to me for the DK in DKC to be the grandson of the original one. For one thing, Cranky is so old. If he's just DK's dad, you would probably expect DK to be around 30 at the very least (that's going by human years, but they're cartoon characters, not real apes). I'm pretty sure DK is younger than that.

Also, in DKC, the first Rare DK game, Cranky is supposed to be DK's grandpa, and in DKC2 Cranky (apparently mistakenly) calls himself Diddy's grandpa. Though the latter thing is most likely a mistake, it seems to indicate that DK is Cranky's grandson because DK and Diddy seem to be from the same generation (correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have a bias against DK64 (which I think is the only game where Cranky refers to DK as his son); it's my favorite game in the series! But I have to take one of the positions due to Rare's inconsistency, and I happen to think that the grandson theory is the more likely one (and I also can't really picture the annoying little DK Jr. in GBDK (DK '94) as the Donkey Kong of DKC.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:28 PM »
Though personally I figured DK was around thirty, and I believe Diddy is about a generation younger then DK, Nintendo and Rare have been pretty inconsistent on who the current DK is and I last time I checked he is mentioned as being Cranky's grandson more then any other theory (but, I still think the current DK is DKjr. due to Loveday actually saying that the current DK was Jr.) .

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »
I guess my theory hasn't been ruled out entirely, then.

Anyway, I always pictured DK being 18 and Diddy 16, due to their rebelliuos attitude toward Cranky. I also found it interesting to note that in any dialouge that he has, DK never refers to Cranky as 'grandpa' or anything like that, and in the TV show(which probably isn't considered canon) theres no mention of their relationship at all.

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »
I probably imagined DK as 20-ish, or maybe a few years older.

Diddy I imagined as probably younger, but not much younger.

Incidentally, Tiny Kong from DK64 is supposed to be Dixie Kong's teenage younger sister, and Dixie is probably about the same age as Diddy, since she's his girlfriend. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but I'm throwing it out there just in case it is.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 07:00:03 PM »
I wonder how old Cranky is...

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2006, 10:06:26 AM »
I personally am not a fan of the "Current DK is a grown up version of DKjr." theories, and the similar variations of it.  Because if those theories are right, how come Mario isn't a decrepit old man like Cranky Kong? 

Plus I prefer Jr. over Diddy. :)

I really don't think Rare was wanting to screw with the DK timeline by adding Cranky, I think they just wanted to add a funny character. 
Haters gonna hate

Print