Print

Author Topic: Mutiple game versions: To buy or not to buy?  (Read 4725 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
I've always wondered how different I am from other gamers, or if I am different at all. With all the versions of games that come out for all the many consoles, do you buy more than one version? I know I'll be buying the Wii and DS version of Mario & Sonic, but what about games like Transformers, or even Prince of Persia?
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »
SMB NES - Yes.
SMB Allstars SNES - Yes.
SMB Animal Crossing GCN - Yes.
SMB NES Classic GBA - Yes.
SMB DX - Yes.
SMB NES VC - Yes.

A large percentage of my VC downloads are of games I already own.  It's just so much easier to play them all on one system with a click of a button. 

As for new multi system games, I bought and completed RE4 on GCN.  When it came out on PS2 I didn't feel the need to buy it for the extras, but now that it's on Wii with the extra missions and Wii controls I had to buy it again. 

I pre-ordered GHIII for Wii the other day.  If/when they release GHI, II, and Encore I may buy one and two again as well. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:31:57 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »
I personally prefer SMA2 over SMW. So yeah, some remakes are better.
But no, I wouldn't buy both Mario & Sonic for the Wii AND the DS.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »
About the multiple versions of classic Mario games, I actually had most of the Advance versions of the Mario games before I got the SNES ones. I don't know, I guess I wanted to compare them or something...

And overall, while the Advance versions have their good points, I think the music (a big part of enjoying the game in my opinion) sounds better on the SNES.

Though I do particuarily like SMA4 because of the extra e-Reader levels. Dang it, why didn't we get the remaining 20 levels? :(

Those games that come out on every single console, though...I tend to just stay away from them, since they're usually something like video game versions of movies, which I've never liked.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:46:39 AM »
I have purchased multiple game versions for the following:

1. Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 (One for PS2, the other for Xbox 360)
2. Super Mario Bros. (Obviously, there have been a ton of these. I've got the original version, Game Boy "Classics" version and Mario All-Stars version for the SNES )
3. Metal Gear Solid 2: (I bought one for the PS2, and then a few years later, bought one for the XBox.)
4. Legend of Zelda: OoT: (Master Quest is for the Gamecube...does this count?)
5. Mega Man Anniversary Collection: (I think I got one for 'Cube and one for the PS2, but I gave the PS2 version away)

These are jut a few. I'm sure I've got more, but these came to mind. So to answer your question, "yes", I would buy 2 versions for different consoles.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
I think SJ's point is being missed. He's talking about getting the same game for two systems: the same game, not remakes.
It's not often that any games I get or want are ever released on multiple systems. I have few games like that, including Tetris Attack (SNES version) and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version). Those might actually be the only two, I'm not sure.
Remakes, yes, I love remakes. But the remake has to have something good about it that makes it worth buying, if I already own the game. Usually the reason is that the game is a portable version of an older game (Super Mario Advance series and Super Mario 64 DS), but I'd also get a game if it were remade with better control and or graphics (imagine an Ocarina of Time remake with Twilight Princess-quality graphics and improved TP-like control on the Wii). Since getting Super Mario Bros., I haven't gotten any games I already own.
And in the case of Pokémon, I used to always get both (sometimes all three) games in the generation. None of my friends were ever really into it except for the time when we went to an evil elementary school that didn't allow us to have Game Boys on campus, so I always have had to trade with myself. I'm sure if I went to them now and told them this they'd realize how many lives they've crushed... but now I only have Blue, Gold, and Ruby. This is really different from the case of Mario & Sonic, however...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 12:33:51 PM »
5.  You gave the wrong version away. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
Perhaps...I kinda liked the Gamecube version better. It doesn't really matter anyway. :/

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
The GameCube one has frickin' reversed controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@
Anyway, I own multiple versions of a lot of games too.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »
The GameCube one has frickin' reversed controls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@

Haha, yeah. It took me a while to get used to it. :/

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
I only buy one version of the game. For example, I didn't buy Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets for GBA and GC, I only bought the GC version. The only reason I bought any version of the game in the first place was because I was a huge Harry Potter fan back then... Remakes? As others have said, if they have something added, then they're worth it. Ocarina of Time would be good with Twilight Princess graphics and controls, but I think Twilight Princess is a better game. I have SMAS, Super Mario Deluxe, and used to have the original SMB.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »
I always buy the console version for the consoles I own, since those are usually better than the handheld versions. Furthermore, if I can, I try and wait for any special versions to come out so I don't spend money on the same game twice. So for example, I'd rather buy Exploding Barrels XIII: Super-Special Edition for the Wii than Exploding Barrels XIII: Regular Edition for the DS, 'cause it'd probably be some crappy side-scrolling thing anyway.
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
It probably wouldn't because the games don't exist.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »
I have SM64 and SM64DS, but does that count?
Pokemon (got all three in R/S/E generation, trying to find Blue and Gold versions to complete the first two gens, and I 'd like to get FireRed, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team.  I plan on getting all three for the D/P gen)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »
Well, normally handheld and console versions of the "same game" are very different games, so in that case, certainly I'd buy both versions if they're good.  This should be the case with Mario & Sonic.

Print