Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. #1 in IGN's Top 100 Games  (Read 4660 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »

Super Mario Bros. was #82 in IGN's Readers' Choice: The 2006 Top 100 Games Ever, but in this year's IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time, IGN editors gave it the #1 spot.  "Mario" appeared six times in this year's top 100.  You may also notice that they changed the format to give each game a better writeup and readers more exposure to ads.

Source: IGN.com
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
Seeing IGN's interstitial ads again reminded me why I am glad that we fully switched to Kontek.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
Hm, I thought they would've put pong up there...

Oh well, it's good to see Mario gets the honor of being the top dog. Although, I think there may be games better then the original SMB, such as Zelda: Ocarina of time.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
At some point I stopped believing in Top 100 lists because the top winners keep changing (you'd expect an old game to remain near a certain spot, but just in those two examples, #1 changed between Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64), the list would be subjective anyway, and it's not clear what makes a game Top 100 material. Is it how much of an impact it had on the video game industry? Is it how fun and replayable the game is after all these years? Is it whatever games are Napoleon-Dynamite-style sweet at the time (like Halo 3)?

Sure, I make lists for which games are my favorites, but I could never bring myself to do a Top 100 list. I read the lists more to see if my favorite games appeared. Hence my joy to see Okami and Secret of Mana on the most recent list. Sure, Mario might have the most influential games of all time, but they don't rank as the most fun games for me to play today. I couldn't care less about Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario 64 at this point. Where was Banjo-Kazooie on the list, if it was there at all?

By going with my definition of favorite game for Top 100, what I'd call the best game of all time is Secret of Mana. It's not perfect, but every time I return to it, the atmosphere is such a breath of fresh air, the combat never gets old, the music is timeless.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:23:53 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 04:21:51 PM »
It's all for the nostalgia. Nothing more...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
Chrono Trigger is better than Secret of Mana. :)
Actually, I thought their list was pretty interesting.
Banjo-Kazooie wasn't on the list, and I understand why, because it wasn't really anything original or groundbreaking.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
The whole "Top 100" lists things is getting old, but it's good to see SMB rank #1 again.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print