Print

Author Topic: "30 Games You Must Play Before You Die"  (Read 6527 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
On the first post, I was actually going to say something along the lines of "you can also consider this your own 'Games to play before I/you die' thread", but I figured that would happen on its own.

Most of those games on that list are either:

1. Good, but not great.
2.  Boring games that are overrated to the extreme.
3.  Just there because of Nostalgia.

You don't have to play any sort of game before you die, this seems like a "The best games ever" list in disguise.
Whether this is what it was intended to be or not, I saw the list (or, rather, saw the ideal "Games to Play Before You Die" list) as being not just a list of great games but a list of games that, whether you like them or not, are worth a play-through or at least playing-with because of some sort of significance they hold. It's like watching Casblanca or reading The Great Gatsby or something--whether you think you'll enjoy it or not, you might as well give it a shot out of respect (then again, I was more or less forced to do those two things, so maybe that's an inappropriate parallel. Still, I hope you know what I mean).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
Games I feel the need to play before I die Revised In no particular order

1-3. Mother trilogy
4. Chrono Trigger
5. VB Wario Land
6. Super Metroid
7. Banjo Kazooie
8. Banjo Tooie
9. Donkey Kong Country
10. Star Fox 64
11. first Wario Ware game
12. Castlevania
13. Final Fantasy 6
14. Kirby Superstar Ultra
15. one of the Metal Gear games

Second half of the list Games I've played, and recommend
16. Super Mario Bros.
17. Mario Kart DS
18. Super Mario World
19. Yoshi's Island
20. LoZ: A Link to the Past
21. Zelda: Ocarina of Tima
22-23. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Super Mario 64
26. Metroid Prime
27. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
28. Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
29. Mario Kart 64
30. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
MY LIST!

2. Ico
1. Xenogears
1. Chrono Trigger
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
1-30. Everything made by Valve.
every

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 04:20:05 PM »
I like how it says "Unbiased opinions from a community of gamers".   Isn't that like an oxymoron or something?

When your kids wanna get into videogames, here's what they should play, in order.

Super Mario Bros.: I've called this an industry standard before. Really, it's what a basic platformer looks like when it doesn't screw up or suck at all. Plus the music flows so well with the motions and action of the game, it'll get stuck in your head. Make sure your children play this too.

The Legend of Zelda: hand in hand with Super Mario Bros. should be the Legend of Zelda. The first few times through the game will be long and (hopefully) addicting for those young-uns (shelter them!!! They mustn't know of the other Zeldas yet!!), and it might encourage them to look outside for even more adventure (come to think of it, be sure to educate them on fire safety.)

Super Mario Bros. 3: After giving them a break through Mario via Zelda, SMB3 is a good boost. the maps, extended worlds, and broad stages are assisted by the new powerups.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2-4, doesn't matter which or in what order.

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

Mega Man 1 (optional)

A Link to the Past

Super Metroid: Yeah, super. The original really can wait, it doesn't matter as much. Plus, it felt kinda short.Given, SM is really about as long as the original (after all you have a time-related goal...), but it just... the road is much more interesting, and it feels like there's more chapters to this.

Mortal Kombat

Up to Halo, this field is pretty much open after this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:33:10 PM by World 6 Retainer »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »
Glorb, your list has a distinct lack of game choices that can be contested.
World 6 Retainer, Mortal Kombat should not be on anyone's "games to play before you die" list, ever.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:07:23 PM by WarpRattler »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
It actually should. It brought fighting games into the mainstream (I mean the actual mainstream, not just gamer culture mainstream) and was actually pretty fun. Granted, the entire game's focus was on dialing in insanely convoluted, stiff combos (and constantly spamming uppercut and sweep kick), but it was still pretty fun with a few buddies.
every

Print