Print

Author Topic: A Dissertation On Why Hip-Hop Needs To Go  (Read 18038 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »
Just because I like the greatest band of all time doesn't make me some sort of old person.

But everybody likes Queen.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »
But are you unogreable
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 02:43:18 AM »

But everybody likes One Direction.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:07 AM »
That reminds me. I was playing Xbox today and some guy sent me a message saying One Direction was better than Nirvana (my name is PennyroyalTea93). And then I remembered that Polly Hudson had written a satirical article about how One Direction are better than the Beatles.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:45:39 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESq27B9YI4Q" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESq27B9YI4Q</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Ogres Have Layers

• Malaprop Monster
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 02:58:49 AM »
10/10, would rage again.

I'm done. See you next mission.

Someone needs to chill down.
You better check yourself before you Shrek yourself.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 03:14:24 AM »
The "Hip-Hop" you hear on the radio nowadays is more like Hip-Pop. Real Hip-Hop is long gone from mainstream attention, and what you hear is just a bunch of wannabes trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. There are still numerous underground artists keeping the real Hip-Hop alive.

Look at stuff from the 80s and early-mid 90s like A Tribe Called Quest, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Nas, and Rakim and you'll see what I mean. They talk about their struggles, political issues, REAL relationships, etc. There are even some rappers back in the day that straight up refused to curse in their songs (C.L. Smooth).

Not only was the song material better back then, but so were the artists. From Kool G Rap's insane multisyllabic rhyming ability to Rakim's smooth flow, the music was pleasing to the ears even if you weren't paying attention to the lyrics. Nowadays all you hear are fakes claiming to be gangsters and growing up in the ghetto when they experienced nothing of the sort. I fail to understand how their meaningless noise got so popular.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:16:52 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
A brilliant analysis, Kimi.

I find that an intelligible (and often comedic) genre of rap for guys who like video games and other varieties of nerds would be Nerdcore rap.  Check out this video and see how many classic text-based game references you can spot (most of them are from Zork):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE</a>
"I'd love to tell jokes... but you'd probably just laugh at me." -- Scott Burns, the One True Voice of Bowser

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
Also check out MegaRan (aka Random). He talks about playing video games and uses remixed video game music as his beats.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Music of all eras is mostly garbage. And people liked the past's garbage as much as they like today's garbage. You only think past times had a higher percentage of great stuff than today because the garbage doesn't survive.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
^ My dad tells me the 70s had more obnoxious teen pop stars than any other era.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
From what I can tell, he's not far off--in any case, have you seen how many novelty songs were coming out back then?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
^ My dad tells me the 70s had more obnoxious teen pop stars than any other era.

...Because he probably grew up in the 70s. Between about 1959 and 1963, the "Dark Ages of Rock 'n' Roll", most American pop acts fell into the "obnoxious teen pop idol" category. See: Paul Anka, Pat Boone, Ricky Nelson, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Tommy Roe, and Brian Hyland.

The 70s also had its fair share of bubblegum schlock, but at least there was better music to fall back on.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
There certainly was some bad music then, but the real difference is the only hip-hop is underground now unlike back then where plenty of quality artists got mainstream attention.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE</a>

I just watched this for the first time though I heard the song and Can't Touch This a lot back then.  Now they seem like some sort of parody or something.  I remember listening to Ice, Hammer, etc with my custom built bass system in my Corolla station wagon for a couple of years in high school.  Man, I was such a Napoleon Dynamite back then. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print