Print

Author Topic: Lost Levels  (Read 8785 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:24 AM »
Has anyone else actually beaten it?

Yes, anyone else: I beat 8-4 earlier and am adamantly declaring worlds 9 and A-D as post-game (although world 9 turned out to be a joke and I'm up to C-3 or C-4). No warps, alternated between Mario and Luigi as I felt would be effective, played the SNES version, hacked to fix the brick physics to work as they did in the NES version, emulated on the Wii and played with a Classic Controller.

I finally got to mark Super Mario All-Stars and Deluxe as Beaten on my Backloggery. All-Stars, the first game I ever owned. And after 16 years, I've finally beaten it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
I'm fairly sure I beat the Lost Levels in SMB All-Stars and SMB Deluxe as Luigi but not Mario. But I could be wrong and I'm not going to setup the systems and dig out the cartridges just to check.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
I'm fairly sure that I beat All*Stars on the Snes with Mario. It's been several years since I've done it, and I haven't felt compelled to do it again..

SMBDX I know I have, but isn't it missing World A-D?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
Yes it is. It's also missing the other features unique to Lost Levels such as wind, red piranha plants and poison mushrooms.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:29 AM »
I got to D-4 in the SMAS version in one playthrough (sadly, didn't beat it), without using the unlimited 1-ups trick with Mario.  Of course, that's with 5 starting lives.  I haven't played it in a while, so I don't know if I could do the same with Luigi.  I should try it on the Wii VC version for authenticity, I suppose.  Or the GBA Famicom Mini version, that cart's collecting dust someplace.  I've played through the whole game a couple of times with both Bros. on the SNES and GBC versions, at any rate, but not without continuing.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
Somebody over on Digitpress was working on perfecting the game for around 2 years, trying to beat it (just the first 8 worlds) without getting hit and without using a mushroom. He finally succeeded this past Christmas. Here's a link to his post; I can't imagine doing something that intense! http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?165508-My-xmas-miracle-came-early-SMB2-mastery

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
Wow; I can't imagine ever being able to do that.  The castles from 4-4 on are all so difficult; I can't imagine passing them all without a powerup or death.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
I had unlimited continues and I needed all of them.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
I had unlimited continues and I needed all of them.
Did your A button fall off when you were done playing?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
Y= run, B=jump.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
Continue
When your game is over, hold A and press Start on the title screen. This lets you continue from the beginning of the world that you were defeated in. For example, if you died in World 3-3, you'll continue from 3-1.

Although, that only applies to SMB1 so my joke is still weak.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »
SMAS, you just continue off of the level you got the game over on, not the start of the world. Lost Levels only, though; other games will send you back to the world's beginning.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:37:21 AM »
I've beaten it., unlocked World 9 as well

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
I've beaten it a few times several years ago, also unlocking World 9. It's definitely one of the harder Mario games, but I remember another Mario game being harder. I can't remember it right now, though.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
I still haven't beaten the original SMB. I'm on 8-3 right now on my 3DS. I'm using savestates, but only at the beginning of levels (except for one time right before the flagpole on 8-2, because I knew I was going to miss that jump on the staircase, and I did, and then I loaded state and got it on the second try).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print