Print

Author Topic: Nintendo to release Smash Bros. themed GCN controller & adapter for Wii U  (Read 11178 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
An advertisement for Super Smash Bros. at E3 2014 on Nintendo's official YouTube channel today included footage of the upcoming Smash Bros. themed GameCube controller and Wii U adapter.  See the video here.

Nintendo of America also posted an image on their official Twitter: 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
Video for forum viewing: 
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »
That controller setup looks AWESOME!! That would keep GameCube controllers on the market if at all possible. Who knows? MAYBE this could be a sign that Gamecube games will be available for Wii U's Virtual Console soon too.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Nintendo doesn't usually just make controllers for a single game, so I could see GC games on VC. I also think maybe could be patched in for WWHD and MK8.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
So there are going to be six official dual-analog controllers for the Wii U (Gamepad, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Pro Controller, Officially-Licensed Gamecube-Style Wireless Controller by PDP, and Actual Gamecube Controller (so seven if you count Wavebird as a separate one)). That's gotta be some kind of record, right?

Also, will this work with the GBA-GCN cable? I want to play Smash with a Game Boy micro. (x)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:18 PM »
That's one short cable.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Fantastic! Especially if they'll actually be selling new ones--I'm down to three wavebirds with slightly wonky sticks... I've gotten used to using the Classic Controller for Project M but I'd really rather have new, wired controllers.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »
My jubilation is almost palpable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
I just realized, they could make a 9-player Bomberman now (WiiWare had an 8-player one). Possibly 10, if they ever get around to adding 2-Gamepad functionality.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:53:56 PM »
Oh, Wow!  That would be great.  What other games could benefit from 10-player?  Bubble Bobble, Excite Truck, Mario Kart, and/or Smash?

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
They could go up to 14 if you plug another GC adapter into the back ports. Anyway, SSB would be a mess unless the stage was huge. Mario Kart would work, but the real limitation is having good screen space with 12 player splitscreen.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
I dunno, we got some pretty big TVs now. I mean obviously not everyone has a huge HDTV but if you were going to play video games with 11 other people at the same time, one of them might have one big enough that one twelfth of the screen was still bigger than the one quarter you would have had in 1998
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
The concern is rendering twelve independent displays at once, not the actual screen area used. This is why MK8 already drops to 30fps if you have three or four players in splitscreen multiplayer.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
Yeah, especially since even though the resolution might make up for rendering, the 2 gamepads have a constant resolution, meaning that the 12 480x360 TV players with the 2 854x480 gamepads would probably ignite the Wii U, destroying thousands of dollars in property and getting Nintendo sued for millions.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
...You mean some people are so poor that they don't play video games on IMAX screens?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print