Print

Author Topic: Nintendo is working on a new dedicated game system called 'NX'  (Read 7605 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
Normally it won't be news that Nintendo is working on a new console, but with the internet all a-flurry about Nintendo's decision to make games for smart devices it had some people wondering.   Recently Nintendo's chief executive, Satoru Iwata said,

"Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices, but it is not because we have lost our passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems.  On the contrary, because now we have decided on how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than before.  As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX.' It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year."

What do you think the "brand-new concept" for the NX will be?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:01:12 AM by Deezer »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
I've heard things about a cross between a home console and a handheld, so that seems pretty likely. I hope that it runs x64 architecture though, so that it doesn't get pushed out by devs using anything but Unity.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »
That sounds like a pretty good guess.  My previous Wii U prediction was pretty spot on, but that was easy considering the success of the most recent Nintendo handheld and console successes.  The NX will be a little harder to predict based on the lackluster Wii U sales and the fact that 3D is out of vogue.  Plus; as CrossEyed7 previously mention, I may need a little wine. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
"NX" obviously stands for Virtual Reality.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
I have no idea what to think.

I only have four retail games for Wii U and seven for 3DS. I'm thinking I'll not get a New 3DS until... well, it proves it's worth it, or way later. I play my PC way more than my consoles now, I have loads of great unfinished games on that, and the sales for things I want just keep coming.

I have no idea what to think that they're thinking or what ends they're trying to accomplish. But, I'm probably going to be more supportive of whatever they put out for PC than anything that calls for more new systems.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
They won't be saying anything more about it until 2016, so it probably won't come out until at least 2017. The main point of mentioning it now was just to make sure the headline from the DeNA press conference wasn't "Nintendo goes third-party".

The fact that they said "game platform" instead of "console" sounds to me like they're going with the idea Iwata was talking about before about how the difference between the console and the handheld should be more like the difference between an iPad and an iPhone. About 2017 to 2018 would be a logical timing for a new console and a new handheld (five years after the Wii U, two to three years after the New 3DS), and NX could easily stand for Nintendo Cross-Platform (but X could stand for anything really).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:10:52 AM »
It's clearly Nintendo Xbox.

I have no idea what to think of such news. I just hope they still make quality games for whichever platforms they put games on. I don't think games like Super Mario Brothers will work on a tablet or mobile device though..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
I say it stands for Nintendo Xenosphere or something equally "Spacey".
I don't know why, but when I heard that Nintendo was working on making something other than a game console, I assumed they were making a sort of artificial intelligence which would allow you to remotely control all aspects of your home; through cloud, it would be a thermostat, it could turn on electronics and appliances, it could lock your doors, even turn off lights and would be controlled from a wearable readout not unlike Google Glass.
Also, I'm getting really tired of people in YouTube comments on the subject. "Durr hurr! Nintendo is really going down these days! It hasn't been five years and they're already releasing another console! #PS4MasterRace!"
While I'm not going to argue that the PS4 looks pretty epic, (certainly better than the XVCR) they forget that while the PlayStation 1 came out in Japan late 1994, the PS2 began development in 1999, and as OP Luigison iterated, development on new consoles is not really news over release dates and concrete information.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:12:17 PM by isoldmyname »
"These things... they take time."-Gaben

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »
@Toad there are things like this:

As well as controllers you can connect to an iPad and hold independently of it. I would probably own something like the former if iOS had an exclusive I really wanted, although that particular model looks like carpal tunnel waiting to happen to hands like mine!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Hmm. That is intriguing. The iOS game I currently play doesn't need controller use though (except the touchscreen. Given), but that is still neat.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print