Print

Author Topic: Nintendo DK or Rareware DK  (Read 23530 times)

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 05:00:30 PM »
Not really.

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »
I'll have to agree with what Javis_rose said on page one. What do you have against Dixie and Lanky, anyway, Bird Person? I'm not mad, I'm just asking. If you're gonna say bad stuff about them, please provide a good reason.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
Sapph: Rare didn't add DK's tie, Nintendo did in GB DK.

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 07:35:52 PM »
Sapph: Why does DK overlapping into Mario's universe not make sense? They've been together in games on all systems, start to end.

^ It is an utterly inescapable miasma of pure, mind-shattering MADNESS from which no mind can awake!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »
MB: I was just quoting Watoad's list. Because of this, you shouldn't just address me for that (and I forgot about DKGB).

LD: Other than the Donkey Kong and DK Jr. games (and remakes), he's only been in spinoff games. Anyway, it doesn't make sense because it confuses the already-inconsistent Donkey Kong continuity even more, with the whole "is current DK the original DK, DK Jr., or the grandson of the original?" thing. The Mario Universe's DK seems to be recognized as the ORIGINAL DK, whereas Rare's DK recognizes Cranky Kong as the original, and current DK as his son or grandson.

I just think of the DK and Mario universes as seperate, and the fact that they overlap so much now (ever since MGTT) makes me go AAAAGH.

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.

Edited by - Sapphira on 11/10/2005 6:28:07 PM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:17 PM »
What about Mario vs. Donkey Kong?

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 10:47:47 PM »
Technically, isn't that a really spiffed-up MAJORLY adapted remake of Donkey Kong? *shrugs*
Or if not, a spin-off? That's what I was thinking when I thought of MvDK, a remake or spin-off.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 10:57:26 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 10:52:25 PM »
 I don't know if you could call it a remake. The changes made are rather drastic.

Spin off I could buy, however.

EDIT: Whoops, as for the thread's topic, I can't really say I prefer one over the other. Both of them existed whilst I was a child, and though I knew of the original DK first, I don't really have a preference.

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2005, 12:24:54 AM »
People have to remember this is Mario we're talkin' about. Mario has NO continuity. You could slap in any old DK in the games and he'll only be refered to as DK.

SuperSonic I'll automatically assume DK vine If I hear the following words: Toothy Grin, DK on Robitussen, Japan Super Happy, Yellow Dinosaur, David Wise, Arrested Development, Sockpuppets, and KISS Kong.

Besides the Toothy Grin makes DK look like a Gorilla, which is what he's supposed to be.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
Well then, I declare that DKC is a majorly spiffed-up remake of Donkey Kong (or else a spin-off) and so DK belongs to Nintendo from the beginning anyway.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 04:45:08 PM »
People have to remember this is Mario we're talkin' about. Mario has NO continuity. You could slap in any old DK in the games and he'll only be refered to as DK.

SuperSonic I'll automatically assume DK vine If I hear the following words: Toothy Grin, DK on Robitussen, Japan Super Happy, Yellow Dinosaur, David Wise, Arrested Development, Sockpuppets, and KISS Kong.

Besides the Toothy Grin makes DK look like a Gorilla, which is what he's supposed to be.

I'll admit, I do go to DKU.  However, I do not nessesarily beleive everything they say.   However, even before I joined, I thought DK had been progessivly getting uglier since Mario Party 4.  And I take it you haven't seen MKDS (It's hideous).  I couldn't care less if he looks more like a Gorilla.  Almond Eyes and jelly rolls would make Mario look more like a Human.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:49:17 AM by SuperSonic_Yoshi »

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »
First and foremost , I'd like to apologize in advance for bumping this topic , however I'd really like to add my opinion to this topic. Welll, both Donkey Kong's have their ups and downs let's look at Nintendo's Donkey Kong shall we?

Now then, Nintendo's Donkey Kong was a villian, but a missunderstood one at that. When he and Mario first met they hit it off pretty bad with Donkey kiddnaping his girlfriend Pauline and trying to kill the plucky plumber with barrels and living fire balls, it was no doubt that Donkey Kong was a villian. However, his son DKjr. was quiet the opposite. He rised leg and limb to save his papa from Maro and ulitmatley succeeded. After that we once again saw Donkey Kong as a villian  in Donkey Kong three where he attacked Mario's (presumed) cousin Stanley for no apparent reason (once again showing the villianry of Donkey Kong). Last, but not least we have DK '94 where Donkey once again proved to be a villian by once again kiddnapping Pauline )and even forcing his poor innocent son to help him.). That ofcourse was the last we saw of Nintendo's DK for awhile.

Now then let's look at Rareware's potrayl of the big ape. Now Rareware in some aspects changed Donkey from a villian to a hero, however in other aspects they did not. If you believe that DKjr. is the current DK it would make sense for him to be more of a hero , heck same goes for if you believe in the current DK being DKjr's son due to the fact he might have been raised by his father to be a hero. But, symbolically it was a change from hero to villian, not to mention it confused many fans abiut the identity of Donkey Kong. But, despite this Rareware did so much good for the Donkey Kong seires. they trnasformed it from being a now dead series which consisted only of three arcade games into a glorious new game series that was full of well rounded characters, addictive gameplay, a new enemy for the big ape and  glorious new enviorments.

Bottom line, despite some critisism I think that Rareware's Donkey Kong is far more supieror to Nintendo's (Once again my apologies for bumping).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:00:39 AM by CreamCat »

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »
Good post.

I personally go with the "Rare DK is Original DK's grandson" theory; it has always seemed to me that there was more evidence on this side than on the "Rare DK is Original DK's son" side. The evidence for the other side seemed to me to mostly rest on a single (?) statement made by Cranky in DK64. But then, I haven't looked at the evidence for a long time.

As for the topic at hand, I think I probably enjoy playing Rare DK games more, especially DK64 (these days at least). So I'll vote "Rareware DK".

EDIT: Bird Person, why do you hate the other Kongs? I think they're great characters. No offense, of course.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:11:08 PM by smfan1085 »
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »
Creamcat's post is Mariology material. Great post, I agree.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2006, 08:40:14 PM »
Eh, I don't know. I just stick to Mario. Just Mario...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print