Print

Author Topic: "So, all you do is play video games?"  (Read 31225 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2006, 08:44:05 AM »
Halo does rock.

And I recently read about another Jack "Jerk Thomphson" Thomphson incident that happened in '05. He said that a company should make a violent game (which I thought he was against) about a father whose son was killed by another kid who played Grand Theft Auto (he specifically said to use GTA). The father, instead of, say, mourning, or possibly even going to the police, does what any real dad would do in that situation: murder everyone he meets, including pedestrians, policeman, and innocent bystanders who did not kill his son. Then he said that he would donate something like $10,000 to any company who would produce this game, saying that take-Two Intercative would (although Jerk and Take-Two had no agreement). He never actually did, because he's a jerk, but the guys who write Penny Arcade donated that to Take-Two, and Jerk tried to get them arrested.
every

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »
I read about that story, but didn't realise that Jack Thompson tried to arrest people for donating to charity.

A group of people made a fan-game called "I am O.K." after this idea, although it's not a console game but a computer game, and it's quite violent so I'll refrain from linking. The company even called themselves "Thompsonsoft" ... Ah hahaha.
~I.S.~

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 01:55:08 PM »
I liked the level 3 boss of I'm O.K.

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 07:22:20 PM »
Jack Thompson knows nothing about what he talks about.

I think GTA needs to be banned...but seriously...Thompson insults all gamers.  I think Jack needs to smell the coffee and realize what he needs: A LIFE.

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
He's already smelled the coffee... the hot coffee.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 10:20:01 AM »
ZING!

Here's a real, actual quote from Roxanne Richardson, a 35-year-old mother in England:

"I'd rather my son take a more proactive, less habitual drug like cocaine than lock himself away and play videogames. It's so lazy. At least with pills and coke, you're out and doing something."

...What the crap? Zone in on that italicized portion.
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »
now thats what I call really d****ed up
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:19:43 PM by Suffix »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
The difference between video games and cocaine is that one doesn't kill you when you use it sometimes.
~I.S.~

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 10:06:35 PM »
ZING!

Here's a real, actual quote from Roxanne Richardson, a 35-year-old mother in England:

"I'd rather my son take a more proactive, less habitual drug like cocaine than lock himself away and play videogames. It's so lazy. At least with pills and coke, you're out and doing something."

...What the crap? Zone in on that italicized portion.

What kind of random craziness is that??? Geeze, VG's don't kill you. Cocaine does. These people just are crapped up with their own ideas and don't want to open their mind to the fact that Video games do not kill you. Look at the people who make video games: They make their money, they have a LOT of imagination, they are understanding of what kids like. Bottom Line: Video games are like anything else addictive. Tell the grown-ups who are addicted to something and hate video games that.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 11:12:47 PM »
*Dies playing video games*

Seriously, though, it's becoming insanity. These people are calling us the lazy generation- I'm sure they copped similar stuff when they were younger. Some people are trying to give a better childhood to their children, fair enough. It's just the fact that they are mirroring exactly what their parents did to them.

Oh, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that lady was drugged or something when she said that. Video games do give people stuff to talk about. Common interests start friendships, and common interests are started by video games.

BTW, in the first post, who at your school called you a nerd for playing games? Nearly every single person in my year level plays video games, and I've made tons of friends because of that fact.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2006, 03:22:54 AM »
Having just played Dr. Mario/Puzzle League for over five hours straight, I'm tempted to agree with crazy lady regarding the relative addictiveness of cocaine and video games.  However, I fail to see how cocaine is more productive than video games.  Playing video games such as Puzzle League potential increases my eye-hand coordination and pattern recognition, thereby making it reasonably productive, for a non-athletic hobby.  What can you accomplish by using cocaine, besides killing yourself?  I guess you can lose weight by using cocaine, but I don't think many doctors out there will praise the health benefits of cocaine use.  And besides, you can lose weight playing Dance Dance Revolution, and improve your pattern recognition at the same time.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
I agree. I think the worst injury you can get from playing video games too much is carpal tunnel syndorme. The only real way a game can kill you is if you have epilepsy and your game gives you a seizure.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2006, 05:21:12 PM »
There's also another fact these people have so coincidentally ignored- games do stimulate minds, depending on the game. I have recently become addicted to Chessmaster, and there have been many late nights spent in frustration at trying to beat a certain player, yet I learn something each time I sit down.

Nevertheless, that lady is crazy.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2006, 06:52:06 PM »
Video games are a hobby. Actually, lok: It's a more VARIED hobby than any kind oif crap they'd do in the olden days. We can be interested in this and that because video games have genres. Does model train making have more than one genre? And get on drugs?!?!?! What the freakin' crap is that? I've never had a seizure from video games. Although I'm fat and don't really move a whole lot, I'm pretty healthy. It runs in my mom's side of my family. Low cholesterol and blood pressure, but given our physiques it AMAZES doctors.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »
I've found myself becoming addicted to DDR and other four-panel dancing simulations recently.

I'm definitely one to vouch for becoming addicted to video games. From MMORPGs to puzzle games to internet poker (the last one seems to be destroying my personality from the inside, and angering people I know from the aforementioned MMORPGs) -- I am VERY easily addicted to games and the like. I'm fairly certain I'd also become addicted to cocaine, assuming I sunk far enough into the gutter to ever have the desire to try it.

Except I'd much rather be addicted to video games (even internet poker) instead of cocaine, because it's cheaper and usually less deadly.
~I.S.~

Print