Print

Author Topic: New Mario Wii bundles coming for the holidays  (Read 5986 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:30 PM »
Just in time for the holidays, Nintendo will offer two different Wii bundles, combining Mario games with the new Wii model. The "newly configured" Wii has a slightly different look and does not play GameCube games.

Nintendo of America released details on Tuesday of their upcoming New Super Mario Bros. Wii bundle, which includes a black Wii console and a Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack CD. According to the press release, the bundle will be released on October 23 with a MSRP of $149.99. NOA has no plans to sell the Super Mario Galaxy 2 music CD separately.

Currently only announced for Europe, a blue Wii and Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games bundle is scheduled for a November 18 release.

Links:
NOA press release
NOE news

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:08:39 PM »
"The newly configured black Wii console sits horizontally rather than vertically and is designed exclusively for Wii game play and entertainment experiences (Nintendo GameCube™ software and accessories are not supported)." - http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=31124

I hope Nintendo isn't digging itself into a situation where they'll lose Wii U purchases based on the new Wii design.  For those out of the know, the Wii U will also lay horizontal and not support GCN peripherals.  Maybe they are just getting people used to the idea of not having GCN backwards compatibility so that they can more easily sell digital GCN downloads and Wavebird-like peripherals with the Wii U.

The new less functional Wii bundle:

The old Wii with GCN support:

A sample of things we are losing:

The new Wii U:

Is it worth it? 

I hope so!
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
And it still only has one remote! Half a decade and it still hasn't occurred to Nintendo to have multiplayer out of the box for their social party family console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
Yeah, but the only way to get out-of-the-box local multiplayer on any current platform is to buy a $400 limited-edition Xbox 360.

I think it's less "it hasn't occurred to them" and more "it's not financially smart when they already know they can wring another $60 out of customers for that second remote and Nunchuk."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
It would be financially smart to let families play New Super Mario Bros. Wii together right away and be the one console company that gives consumers that kind of clear tangible value right out of the box, like they did with the Famicom. Especially since they can still wring another $120 out of you for two more controllers.

And especially especially if they're going to call it a "Family Fun Pack" like they did in Europe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
Won't the Wii U work with Wii controllers? Just include a mutliplayer enabled game and those who previously owned a Wii will be ready to play multiplayer.

There may be fights over who gets the touchscreen controller though..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
It's strangely liberating to not have to worry about how incredibly stupid a lot of these decisions seem, seeing as I increasingly no longer have the money or time to invest in them.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print