Print

Author Topic: Weekend Movie(s): Momotaro & SMG DS  (Read 5887 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:26:48 AM »

To further those sessions between gaming, TMKblog will be providing you with Weekend Movie. These posts will highlight Mario related videos from fans, readers, or the staff themselves. If you come across a video, or videos, feel free to submit it!

This weekend, we have a double feature, thanks to two Fungi Forum users. SushieBoy sent me our first movie, "Momotaro". This video splices together peices from the Japanese only Super Mario Bros. anime movie. The result is something that will keep you entertained for the video duration, if only to see if it goes somewhere.

I found inspiration for our second video thanks to a topic brought up by Tutlekid1. For some reason, as I read the thread (linked in the previous sentence), I thought of "Super Mario Galaxy DS". If you didn't hear about this title, then you definitely have to check out what could have been (or may one day be).

Two interesting videos, one jam-packed weekend! Make sure to make room for our Weekend Movies, "Momotaro" and "Super Mario Galaxy DS".

Link(s):
Momotaro [2 minutes, 23 seconds]  (Thanks SushieBoy!)
Super Mario Galaxy DS [2 minutes, 48 seconds]

Past Weekend Movies
Nintendo: Oldschool Revolution
Summer 2007 Edition
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:49:43 AM »
Momotaro in a word: hilarious. Not as funny on the second watching, though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:04:35 AM by Suffix »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
Haven't seen the first one (but I'd like to). As for the SMGDS "trailer", although I don't think that would be the best idea in real life, it's still an extremely well-done--shall we say, art project?--that plays with your head. In fact, I believe it's made by the same guy who fashioned that teaser for the fake "Nintendo ON" VR console (and the follow-up, bizarre, teaser involving 3-D).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:29 AM »
The SMG DS trailer gives itself away...  1 DS star for 10 Wii points? I think not.  Nintendo wouldn't give Wii points away just for being good at a game.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
If you look close enough you can see that the first part of the video with the extra galaxy is actually rendered differently from the actual game.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:54 PM »
How did he model that game for the DS? Does he own a DS development kit or something?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
Also, if you look close enough you can see that the "DS" that the game is being played on is actually a CG render itself. The stylus is not being held by a person's hand; it's just eerily floating in mid-air.

Print