Print

Author Topic: Warp Zone #3: SMB 30th Anniversary Edition  (Read 7151 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: September 18, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
Welcome (back) to Warp Zone!

The 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. and the recent release of Super Mario Maker have spawned some interesting articles and videos. Here are some you might have missed:

Here's What Super Mario Bros.' Creators Think of Super Mario Maker (time.com)
Super Mario Bros. creators Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka talk about how Super Mario Maker started and how it might affect future Nintendo consoles.

With 'Mario Maker,' Nintendo relinquishes control (bigstory.ap.org)
Though this one is a bit shorter, it's still worth a read, and not just because it calls the game "Mario Marker" once.

Interview: Yosuke Oshino On The Origins And Evolution Of Super Mario Maker (nintendolife.com)
An interview with Yosuke Oshino, director of Super Mario Maker.

Mario Maker's Makers On The Added Super Prefix, Mario Paint, And LittleBigPlanet (gameinformer.com)
GameInformer recently reposted this interview from June, which is when "Mario Maker" was renamed to "Super Mario Maker."

Super Mario Bros. 30th Anniversary Special Interview (youtube.com)
In this nearly 10-minute-long video from Nintendo, Miyamoto and Tezuka show some design documents from the original SMB. It also includes some footage from the late 1980's with Miyamoto and other Nintendo staff showing more old SMB stuff.

Super Mario's makers play Super Mario Maker (youtube.com)
Eurogamer's video of Miyamoto and Tezuka editing a course in Mario Maker.

Miyamoto on World 1-1: How Nintendo made Mario's most iconic level (youtube.com)
Another video from Eurogamer. Miyamoto and Tezuka share some interesting details about designing SMB's World 1-1 and creating the Goomba.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:15:54 PM by Deezer »

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »
These are some great reads (and videos). Thanks, Deezer!

"Up to Super Mario Bros. 3, we drew all of the levels on graph paper, and then starting with Super Mario World, it was a combination of graph paper plus some editing tools on the PC that we had,” says Miyamoto. “The process of creating a Super Mario Bros. level is, you design the course, and then you make a change, and then you have to test out that change to see how that change affects the overall playability of the course.”

I used to do that as a kid! I would draw my own levels out on pieces of graph paper, and I always wished that I could play them. How cool it is that today's generation actually can play their levels!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
I also drew out my own levels. My imaginary game's protagonist wore a hat that looked like a giant fist.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
I made a fake overworld for a Paper Mario sequel when I was a little kid, but most of the level maps I made were for my own fictional videogames.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6cPLtEEOsw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6cPLtEEOsw</a>

Print