Video Games > Video Game Chat

New Wii U details - launch date, price, and more!

<< < (12/13) > >>

BP:
Kinda. The box is all about Wii U and mentions "also works with Wii" but the remote itself looks just like a Wii Remote Plus.

You know what's a lot of fun*? Trying to explain what the Wii U does and what controllers work with it and how and what you need to play Wii games and what the difference is.

*I want to quit my ****ing job and get a new one

CrossEyed7:
I mean on the one hand it is kinda nice that most families can do basic multiplayer in most Wii U games by just pulling that bucket from ten years ago out from under the entertainment center again, but at the same time it doesn't do much to curb the confusion most people have about what exactly a Wii U is in relation to a Wii (I have had two separate people under the age of 20 tell me, unprompted and totally convinced, that Nintendo made both a Wii 2 and a Wii U, and the Wii U is actually the third Wii).

Lizard Dude:
So they thought the Wii mini was a different system?

CrossEyed7:
I guess?

BP:
I don't think it'd be fair to expect anybody to understand how the industry works if they haven't already been paying attention to it for ten years. Just think about the 3DS series. You understood what a 3DS was because you knew what a DS was. You understood what a 3DS XL and 2DS were because you knew what a 3DS was. You can't begin to describe the New 3DS without first describing the 3DS, one of its exclusive features is to play SNES games (what's a SNES, now), you have to make a distinction between an enhanced version of a game system and an actual successor to it, so you'll probably compare it to the DSi and Game Boy Color...

I think it's a basic responsibility of a consumer to research something before they spend a bunch of money on it and if you buy the wrong thing because you couldn't be bothered to learn about all your options that's your problem. You don't really have an excuse. But I think the effect of just how complicated it is will either keep people in their comfort zones, or make all these game reboots with the same title as the original but less nichey gameplay okay forever

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version