Print

Author Topic: You Get Amazed, You Lose  (Read 153444 times)

« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
I never understood the appeal of astronomy or space, so that nebula picture means nothing to me. And I've never heard of the Pale Blue Dot either. I don't watch Carl Sagan.

One webpage said the QWERTY layout came into existence because someone could type "typewriter" quickly with it. And look, all the letters of "typewriter" are on the top row.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
Yeah, and so are U O and Q. Seems like it would be much quicker to have all those letters in the center of the keyboard instead of all spread out on the top row.
Carl Sagan isn't even someone you can watch anymore since he's dead, and I feel like yelling at all of you for how ashamed you should be for not knowing about one of the most influential and well-known scientific minds of the 20th century.
That was a joke.

« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
scientific minds

Pfft. He didn't sing or play sports or do anything else that mattered, so how can you blame us?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
I never understood the appeal of astronomy or space, so that nebula picture means nothing to me.

I'm not going to criticize you for being disinterested in space/astronomy, but the appeal is the vastness of it all. Think. We're but a small, fragile dot in the middle of an enormous universe. Every war, every discovery, every human that has ever lived...it's all taken place on a small blue dot. That's what Carl Sagan was trying to tell us. "Astronomy is a humbling experience."
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:42 AM »
Am I correct in assuming that this Carl Sagan thing is a joke blown out of proportion?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:25 AM »
Carl Sagan also wrote fantasy books and was a pothead. As for the Pale Blue Dot... yeah, amazing, I suppose, but there's been so many other awesome space pics since when I'm assuming that picture was taken that it's not a blowout loss.

And concerning my last post, I'm not saying one game is better than the other--I just made that statement for the purpose of the image.

http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/life-sized-link-images/
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »
Carl Sagan also wrote fantasy books and was a pothead.

I assume you don't like reading fantasy books like you don't like reading articles?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:34:19 AM by PaperLuigi »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
Carl Sagan just wanted to protect us from the infinite cosmic horrors of infinite horror from the cosmos.

Quote from: Carl Sagan
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Carl Sagan sad that. Carl Sagan also got a grant from the government to begin a U.S. military initiative to combat a threat that he called the "Elder Gods", using Tesla coils, steam-powered airships, and clockwork robots.
every

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
i think carl sagan is a pretty cool guy. eh does science and doesn't afraid of anything.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »
You didn't just... no, he did.

I assume you don't like reading fantasy books like you don't like reading articles?
Uh...

« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
Twas meant to be a playful jab/joke. It sounds a lot different over the internet.

« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
Quote from: The internet
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

VS.

Which is more confusing? There's really no telling.

« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
A little while ago Lizard Dude was making fun of him or something for not reading articles.

I dunno. Perhaps I got the whole ****ing thing wrong.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »
No, you're right--I did post a lot of stuff without reading it (hence my CT) and LD called me out on it.

But just so you know, I wasn't juxtaposing fantasy books and reefer because I thought they were both bad.

« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »
Gotcha.

Print