Print

Author Topic: Wii is such a nice change....  (Read 14763 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:36:11 PM »
With Xbox 360 and PS3 offering the same old games with prettier graphics, it is so refreshing to see Nintendo trying something unique and different with the Wii.  As they did with the DS, Nintendo is thinking differently about what makes games fun. New control schemes always make gameplay better.

With the 360 and PS3 using the same multi-button controllers that have been around for years, it gets pretty boring fast. "So I need to press the A button while rotating the left analog stick clockwise and holding the shoulder button to make my character switch weapons?" YAWN.

With the Wii however, multibutton controllers may be a think of the past thanks to motion sensing control. Many people thought the Wii's controller scheme would be gimmicky, and they said the same thing about the DS's touch screen. But look how popular the DS is--10 million units have been sold in the United States! With Wii quickly outselling the overpriced PLAYSTATION 3 Blu-Ray player/computer/whatever, it is quite clear which system is more popular.

Yes, the PS3 and Xbox 360 both offer more powerful hardware with enhanced HD graphics, but they have the same types of games we've been playing for years. Speaking of HD, in order to fully appreciate the PS3 and Xbox 360 you need to purchase an expensive HD television that is capable of displaying the correct resolution. On top of that you need to buy the appropriate HD cables (luckily HD cables come with the Xbox 360 Premium system).

Sony thinks the PS3 is the future of videogames. But a $500-$600 system that offers only prettier versions of games we've been playing for years is not what I call "next-generation". The Sixaxis controller is a waste--the tilt controls are tacked on, and it doesn't even have rumble!

Thank God Nintendo intervened with the Wii. It's obvious they were thinking outside the box so to speak, by reinventing the way videogames are played. Not only that, but the price of the Wii console is just right. $249 with a pack-in game is a great deal, one that many people are more than happy to spend on than a $400-$600 game machine that offers virtually nothing new.

On a side note. I am really excited about the Virtual Console feature. Downloading hundreds of classic games from various Nintendo and competing systems is a dream come true! Now I can finally play those Genesis games and my favorite Nintendo games on the same system! I don't play online games, because I don't see the point in playing games with strangers I can't even see. Xbox Live is a big success, and kudos to Microsoft, but I don't really see the reason why I should pony up $50 a year just to play multiplayer with people I can't even see.

The Wii is a social machine. It is so fun playing in a room with a group of friends and family, knowing that all of them can join in even if they have never even played a game before. The motion sensetive Wii Remote is simple enough for non-gamers, yet challenging enough for experienced players. The controller offers plenty of fun gameplay experiences, and I can't wait to see what games developers will create using it. The Wii is a system the entire family can enjoy.

I do not have a Wii, yet. But from what I have read on various message boards, I can come up with this conclusion: The Wii is truly a revolution for gaming, bringing families together like no other system has since the NES.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:38:20 PM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:39:11 PM »
Dude. We all know. You don't need to keep showing off your commitment.

However this won't matter since in a few weeks you'll just make another "Wii is great; PS3 is lame" topic...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:41:43 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
I was not trying to bash any system. I'm simply saying how refreshing the Wii is compared to the sequel/port/liscensed crap we've been seeing for years.

The controller is intuitive and simple for all people to use. The games are fun, the Virtual Console is genius, and the price is perfect.

I am simply sick of all the crap out there in the gaming industry today. It seems that developers are losing their creativity and are simply relying on flashy HD graphics to sell their games. Good graphics are nice, but intuitive controls and gameplay are what really matters. Isn't that what gaming is all about, enjoying the experience of playing.

If I want amazing realistic graphics, I'll just walk outside and enjoy the scenery. :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:47:51 PM by Mario Maniac »
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:48:46 PM »
Remember folks: if your console's name doesn't contain any of the words from the name of the previous console, it's not a sequel.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
New control schemes always make gameplay better.
Only if used properly by the developers. Which, sadly, is not always true.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »
With the 360 and PS3 using the same multi-button controllers that have been around for years, it gets pretty boring fast. "So I need to press the A button while rotating the left analog stick clockwise and holding the shoulder button to make my character switch weapons?" YAWN.
Sony thinks the PS3 is the future of videogames. But a $500-$600 system that offers only prettier versions of games we've been playing for years is not what I call "next-generation". The Sixaxis controller is a waste--the tilt controls are tacked on, and it doesn't even have rumble!
$249 with a pack-in game is a great deal, one that many people are more than happy to spend on than a $400-$600 game machine that offers virtually nothing new.

Sounds like bashing to me...

The point is, we all know you're just going to make another topic identical this one, thinking more topics gets the point across.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:51:40 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:50:47 PM »
Sequels aren't bad. In fact, Wii has several franchise sequels already!
Ports aren't bad. In fact, Twilight Princess is a port!
Licensed games aren't bad. There are many, such as a large selection of Star Wars games, that are really great, and we'll even be seeing a Lego Star Wars game on Wii!

Also, exactly who are you telling this to?
Everyone at this forum already knows everything you just posted. This isn't a place to post your expository essays.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
* Bird Person boots up Judge_BP.exe
A-HAH! MM replied to one of his topics! That may mean that he reads the other replies, which may mean that he deliberately ignores our pleads of "STOP MAKING THESE TOPICS!!!" and posts them anyway! It's all coming together now...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
As much as I'd love to just pop in here and start up the Mario Maniac bashing, I'm feeling rather argutive today, so I'll humor you.

New control schemes always make gameplay better.

Tell that to the N-Gage, or better yet the Power Glove.

What game are you playing? Most just require you to press one button to change weapons from a menu.

With Wii quickly outselling the overpriced PLAYSTATION 3 Blu-Ray player/computer/whatever, it is quite clear which system is more popular.

Wow, I guess this also has nothing to do with the number of units that were ready at launch and the fact that both systems came out just 2 months ago.

Speaking of HD, in order to fully appreciate the PS3 and Xbox 360 you need to purchase an expensive HD television that is capable of displaying the correct resolution. On top of that you need to buy the appropriate HD cables (luckily HD cables come with the Xbox 360 Premium system).

HDTV is the way of the future. More and more tv stations are switching to an all digital format. If I remember correctly, the FCC passed some order that Analog broadcasts will be phased out by 2009 and will be replaced with HD broadcasts. At least, that's how I remember it. Plus the price of those tv sets will definitely go down in the next few years.

Sony thinks the PS3 is the future of videogames. But a $500-$600 system that offers only prettier versions of games we've been playing for years is not what I call "next-generation".

Funny. That's almost exactly what it's been these last few years.

The Sixaxis controller is a waste--the tilt controls are tacked on, and it doesn't even have rumble!

No rumble? Ohs noes whatever shall I do without rumble feedback in my games?!? Wait a minute, I know. Continue playing the games because rumble is only a extra, not an essential.

Thank God Nintendo intervened with the Wii. It's obvious they were thinking outside the box so to speak, by reinventing the way videogames are played. Not only that, but the price of the Wii console is just right. $249 with a pack-in game is a great deal, one that many people are more than happy to spend on than a $400-$600 game machine that offers virtually nothing new.

Honestly, you should try out for those Wiiosks they have at Wal Mart where the woman explains to the audience what a Wii even is.

On a side note. I am really excited about the Virtual Console feature. Downloading hundreds of classic games from various Nintendo and competing systems is a dream come true! Now I can finally play those Genesis games and my favorite Nintendo games on the same system!

...or you could just play them on the systems you already own, unless you hate bargain shopping, never owned a system before the Wii, or you've been a supreme fanboy since birth.

I don't play online games, because I don't see the point in playing games with strangers I can't even see. Xbox Live is a big success, and kudos to Microsoft, but I don't really see the reason why I should pony up $50 a year just to play multiplayer with people I can't even see.

Playing against your relatives and friends gets boring after the 50th time you beat them. Also, that's why they advise to play only with people you know.

The Wii is a social machine. It is so fun playing in a room with a group of friends and family, knowing that all of them can join in even if they have never even played a game before. The motion sensetive Wii Remote is simple enough for non-gamers, yet challenging enough for experienced players. The controller offers plenty of fun gameplay experiences, and I can't wait to see what games developers will create using it. The Wii is a system the entire family can enjoy.

It's also the only Nintendo system that I can't hog to myself anymore due to that same reason.

I do not have a Wii, yet.

Then for that very reason, you really shouldn't be talking right now.

I don't even know why I'm responding to you, since it's obvious you'll never read this topic again. You ignore everyone's plea to stop being so fanboyish and you always get off with only a warning. But if this wall of text somehow gets through to you, maybe you'll start listening.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
Here are three things to expect from ol' Mario Maniac:

1. Flipper Flopping (and I mean alot)
2. Either bashing or praising the Xbox/PS3/whatever and giving off news (or should I say "olds"?) or information that everyone either already knows or no one really cares about.
3. Posting in the wrong forum and having to have the thread moved by a mod.
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »
Make.Up.Your.Mind.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:00:17 AM »
I didn't read the original post in its entirety, but it seemed written out of an innocent happiness that I happen to find refreshing--so quitcha whinin', my fellow fungi.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »
FF = Mario Maniac's blog

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 03:12:56 PM »
Who's that Jake guy and how does he already have a CT? Is he really JJ in disguise?

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's Poop Dude. ;)
EDIT: Anyways, I have to contribute to the actual topic simple because the news is old and the only other thing to say even slightly on-topic would be something like flaming Mario Maniac which I don't want to do.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:19:35 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »
Didn't Poop Dude turn into Jake or something?

EDIT: Upon further review, yes, Poop Dude is now Jake (laaaame change), who is actually Lonic The Elfinhog.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
How many name changes is that guy gonna got through?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 05:26:03 PM »
Looks like about 2.
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »
I thought you guys weren't doing name changes anymore.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 07:14:39 PM »
He did tell me via AIM that the reason he doesn't use Lonic anymore is because it sounds like bad Sonic fanfiction (as if there was any other kind).

As for ditching Poop Dude, well I guess since he uses Jake everywhere else, he might as well be Jake here. Besides, it seems like only Lizard Dude actually misses it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »
But :) is pronounced "Poop Dude"!! And since :( is pronounced "Jake", and they're the same person, that means that now ):( is pronounced "Poopjake" (which sounds like a cereal). But back on topic...

Why is this topic even in existance? Seriously, when I saw it, I thought it was one of the bajillion "Wii RRRAAAAWWWWKSS!!!1!11!111"  threads from mid-2006 until I saw the date. I'm really tired of defending Sony and Microsoft now (especially since Sony is too annoying to try and defend), so I'll just say this: The Wii is a cheap plastic box full of little elctronic doodads. So are the 360 and PS3 and PCs, for that matter. They all have one purpose: To play games for your entertainment. Calling the Wii the future of human evolution and the PS3 and 360 crappy pieces of crap is no different than, say, calling consoles stupid and PCs awesome. It's a matter of personal taste, and as such, it doesn't need to be drilled into everyone's head as truth.
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »
I like the Wii beter than the PS3!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 05:09:03 PM »
The Wii is a cheap plastic box full of little elctronic doodads. So are the 360 and PS3 and PCs, for that matter. They all have one purpose: To play games for your entertainment.
The PC has many, many, many, many, many uses besides playing games and consoles these days usually do more than that, too.

Re: Poop Dude -> Jake, come on! A bold daring memorable name like Poop Dude changing to the stunning... Jake? Even Lonic was 17x better than "Jake". Who gave you username lessons? David Dayton?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
How To Get A Cool User Name For Dummies!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
Now that I think of it, even Jake is better than something like ~Xx_NaRuToFaN420_xX~ or whatever.
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
And a million times better than ~Xx_DaRkNaRuToFaN420_xX !

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 06:08:16 PM »
I probably don't need to say how much better it is than ivbekgbjddf5u (my brother's old Neopets account)...

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
Well, at least it doesn't contain "dark, naruto, or fan."

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 03:32:44 AM »
Re: Poop Dude -> Jake, come on! A bold daring memorable name like Poop Dude changing to the stunning... Jake? Even Lonic was 17x better than "Jake". Who gave you username lessons? David Dayton?
Let's change his name every week just to keep everyone satisfied.  I call "DeadAwake wuz here".
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
I should change my name to "1m2n3b4v5c6x". It has an incredibly hidden meaning that will drive you insane should you discover its secrets.
every

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »
I'd like to have a name change.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »

Not everyone loves poop jokes and bad Sonic fanfiction.
Professional Paisano here

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
I like both, preferably at the same time...

Sonic returned to his home in Green Hill, where he saw Amy. "Hi," said Amy, "I didn't know you were back, Sonic." Sonic gave her a confuzzled look. "What do you mean?" Suddenly, the door opened, and a large piece of poop came in, wearing Sonic's bathrobe. Sonic swore revenge.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
Sonic's Bad Quill Day?

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
That's the greatest fanfic I've read since Scrooge McDuck went to Tatooine.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
Why, thank you. Just wait until Sonic's Bad Quill Day 2: Assault on Planet Poopia.
every

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 10:24:03 PM »
Sheer brilliance, I must say.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
Lol, I had a good idea for like a game that's mature (rated M)  a game called Mario Bros. R! You'd like have a chainsaw and stuff, and yeah don't want to get into details because you know, this is a kids site. ^^;

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »
Erm, not... there IS an age limit, I'm sure 13-year-olds can handle the images of a chainsaw-slashed-up Koopa.
!! When Mario Kart 64 was in production and called Super Mario Kart R, maybe one aspect was running people over for power-ups!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 11:14:23 PM »
His profile says he's under the age limit, BP.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
Erm, not...

??? Did you mean to say "Erm, no?"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »
Lol, I had a good idea for like a game that's mature (rated M)  a game called Mario Bros. R! You'd like have a chainsaw and stuff, and yeah don't want to get into details because you know, this is a kids site. ^^;

That's not a good idea for a mature Mario game. Mature does not = full of gore and junk. If I were making an M-rated Mario game, I'd put in some extreme moral conflict and political satire among other things of that ilk.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:38 PM »
That would be interesting. Perhaps a game where a communist revolution overthrows the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario must sto(m)p the leaders of it?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »
Maybe Mario got kidnapped by the revolutionaries, brought to their secret brainwashing chambers, and turned into a Communist? Then Luigi would have to rescue him again.

Actually, it might not be too hard, suitwise. Mario already wears some red, and wields a hammer sometimes. They'd just have to get his old overalls and a sickle, and make him the second-to-last boss. Maybe Bowser could be an ally, because his army converted to the enemy cause?

Of course, since this is Nintendo we're talking about, they would never do something like this.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
Yeah, I know. I was thinking that the Koopa Kingdom was a communist country, and Bowser was their savior. Someone posted a fanart piece here depicting something like that. The Mushroom Kingdom would be a republic, governed by the Prime Minister with the Princess as a figurehead.

I was also thinking that making a Mario game with dark overtones isn't really that hard. The Mushroom World is a pretty dangerous place. Look at Paper Mario 2 for a minute. Then compare the bright cartoony-ness of most of today's Mario games with the Mario games of the 80's. Those were pretty stark and ambiguous, even with the clear blue sky in the background.

This is why I dislike it when people badmouth the Mario movie fr not following the games in that manner. Heck, all they had to do was make Koopa a turtle instead of a T-rex, give the Goombas turtle heads and call them Koopa Troopas, and replace most of the dinosaur references with mushroom references and it would've been perfect in my eyes.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
I think the Mario games actually have pretty disturbing over/undertones. Think about the very beginning of SMB for a minute: Mario's just your average, everyday midget Italian plumber on his day to work, when he sees a floating question mark block. Naturally, he decides to smack it with his head, and a mushroom comes out. He eats it, then BAM! He's six feet tall! Suddenly, a crazy-looking walking mushroom with eyes and feet waddles towards him next to a giant green pipe sticking out of the ground. After stomping on the innocent little guy, he goes on a rampage against the trippy denizens of his drugged-up psychosis, eventually embarking on a quest to kidnap the princess. The game is obviously intended to have a disturbing existentialist theme dealing with the darkness of the human soul, or something along those lines.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
Glorb, I think your comedic talent is starting to wither away.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
Talent?
every

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »

He had it to begin with?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
The Chef can think!?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2007, 03:08:49 PM »
Comedic talent is a plant?
every

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
Comedic talent is a plant?
Glorb knows no metaphors?!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »
Glorb knows no metaphors?!

Comedic talent is a metaphor for...me?!
every

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2007, 12:56:39 AM »
Comedic talent is a metaphor for...me?!
I'm Ron Burgundy?!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
I'm Ron Burgundy?!
Who's Rob Burgundy?!
It's YOUR problem!

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
Who's Rob Burgundy?!

The guy from that "Anchorman" movie... ?!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
The guy from that "Anchorman" movie... ?!
Yes, he is! Or is he?!

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2007, 06:52:19 PM »
Yes, he is! Or is he?!

He is, he.. *ahem*

Why is everybody replying with quptes?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2007, 07:40:04 PM »
I created a monster!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »
Aww man. Fun's over?!
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »
I created a monster!!
No, Vid created it.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:37 PM »
I'm sorry I'm the one who has to say something, but the last string of posts is not something that I feel should be tolerated.

So, please keep to the thread's topic, or it very well may be closed.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:12 AM »
But keeping to the thread's topic is basically groaning about Mario Maniac's inability to not post propagandic crap.
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Well, actually, the thread was about how you should worship the Wii at your nearest Wii church and burn a PS3 in sacrifice, but I prefer comedic withering talent metaphors for Ron Burgundy, or whatever it was we were quoting each other about.
every

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
 If that is the case, then I think we can agree that this thread no longer needs to remain open.

It would be nice if, instead of posting random comments or insulting remarks, no matter how true they may be, people could restrain themselves and let topics without a clear topic die on their own. We have enough threads for "pointless" conversation and mudslinging already.

Print