Poll

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Yes
9 (42.9%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Used Games: Bad for the Industry?  (Read 20766 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 12:44:56 AM »
Yeah, I know my post was pretty confusing. It made sense to me, though.

I see what you're saying, Lizard Dude. Each used game is a lost potential new sale. I never really thought about it like that. In that case, it would indeed be a huge loss on the game-maker's end. That's not going to prevent me from buying used games, though.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 01:02:43 AM »
There's a similar situation in the music industry (which I consider one of the worst and most flawed business models currently in existence), except the MPAA is intentionally lowering the amount of CDs they put out in order to have an excuse for driving up prices and suing people for downloading MP3s. The performers aren't getting their money either way (many make more money from concerts and other merchandising than CD sales), so I don't see why it's so wrong to download music that only the recording industry will get, and don't deserve. The difference here is the fact that there isn't a standardized distribution medium for video games, and developers are still able to profit as long as copies of their games are being manufactured. There is no way to support the developers by buying a new game used. And you want to support the developers, because they're the guys making the games, and don't really go charge admission to play video games for two hours or something, equivalent to a rock concert. So, buy new games new. Because unlike most rock bands, they do make money from the retail product. And you want good developers to keep making games.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 07:37:45 AM »
The reason I buy a lot of my stuff used is because I'm not rich. Think about it. My family, while not dirt-poor, is only able to afford the most basic forms of Internet-related stuff, so digital distribution is out of the question for me; spending fifty bucks and four or five days to download Command & Conquer 3 on our computer is probably impossible, anyway. Consoles today require broadband for a lot of basic features like multiplayer, and games are shipping with less and less content so developers can milk even more money from consumers, content that I can't access either way. I'm tired of everyone acting like developers and punlishers like Nintendo and EA are small, fledgling underdogs, and used games are litterally taking money right of their pockets that would otherwise be spent on terrific, innovative games. I have yet to see this global effect destroy the industry and send it back to 1983 like everyone's predicting. People on both sides of this argument should see it in my shoes, or whatever that saying is; you'll learn that not everyone can afford buying new.
every

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »
Glorb has somewhat of a point. I don't make enough money to constantly buy new games new, and instead of saving up for one, I'd rather get two or three used games for the price of that new game. Also, yeah, if the used game industry is so horrible and is supposedly crushing the gaming industry, why haven't we seen a drop in game production yet? And if, eventually, the gaming industry does fall under due to used games (not likely), to put it bluntly, who cares? Video games shouldn't be your life, it should be a hobby, and if they stop making them, you still have the ones you bought previously. Keeping as much money as I can is more important to me than the gaming industry collapsing, because money can buy a lot of things, whereas games only keep me entertained for a while.

An exception to my always-buying-used-games style is DS and GBA games, but only because 1) they never have any good used DS and GBA games, and 2) used DS and GBA (but mostly DS) games tend to be only like, 5 bucks cheaper.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »
I have yet to see this global effect destroy the industry and send it back to 1983 like everyone's predicting.
Well obviously...
Anyway Glorb, when everyone buys used games and no one buys new copies, it will be a problem.
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »
...But that may take a loong time, thanks to all you refuse-to-buy-games-used people.

Glorb: Since your internet is so slow, maybe you should sign up for Google's free Broadband program here.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
Glorb: Since your internet is so slow, maybe you should sign up for Google's free Broadband program here.
Hmm, I thought there was some saying about fools and other fools.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
They're dance partners?

Just for the record, LD, I never voted, so I'm certainly not one of those "no"s.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Psst! MaxVance! I know it's a hoax

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
Yes, I was talking about Glorb and Google.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »
Oh. Nevermind then.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 12:55:52 AM »
And if, eventually, the gaming industry does fall under due to used games (not likely), to put it bluntly, who cares? Video games shouldn't be your life, it should be a hobby, and if they stop making them, you still have the ones you bought previously.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 05:29:17 AM »
Beautiful! I'm putting that on my Post of the Year '07 list.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »
What I dislike about the view that used games are evil is the whole "holier-than-thou" attitude everyone on that side of the argument seems to have. They always act like they're better than used game buyers, because they take extra special precautions to avoid collapsing the industry in one fell swoop. I mean, there's used DVDs. Used cars. Used underwear, I'll bet. And neither the automobile nor the underwear industry has experienced a horrible stock-market crash and sent to country into the next depression.
every

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 01:46:03 PM »
Used underwear, I'll bet.

Ew. No. Grody. You're grody. No. Ew.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print