Print

Author Topic: Dinosaurs FTW  (Read 13657 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
We all know that the only thing more dangerous than zombies is a dinosaur (I think the deadliness exchange rate is 4 zombies for one raptor, if I'm not mistaken). So my question is this: Why aren't there more dinosaurs in games these days? With the exception of the upcoming Turok (which I'm still skeptical about thanks to its generic dark-futuristic look and new main character), there are no modern games of note that feature dinosaurs. What we need is a new Primal Rage, or maybe, like, Dead Rising, but with dinoaurs. There should at least be Virtual Console versions of Primal Rage and the old Turoks.
every

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:32 AM »
They're all extinct.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:09 AM »
And they aren't all that cool, honestly.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
Unless you're Calvin.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
I think the problem is it's hard to make dinosaurs new and exciting. It's been done overmuch. I think if there was a new dinosaur game out, it would have to be a story completely different than "People go back in time. Aaah! Dinosaurs!" or "Dinosaurs go forward in time/are dug up and reanimated. Aaah! Dinosaurs!". And I don't know if there's any other way to justify dinosaurs.

(Not saying they aren't cool. Because, you know. Giant scary lizards = yes. But what can you do with them that hasn't already been done?)

"Hooray! I'm useful! I'm having a wonderful time!"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
Borrow some of the dinosaur evolution concepts from the cheesy Mario movie, and you might get an interesting game.

You live in a world where people evolved from the dinosaurs, but some evil guy is de-evolving them for his evil plans.  You must stop this madman from taking over the world.  One power-up lets your character's body (but not the brain) transform into the mighty tyrannosaurus rex.  If this idea is stupid, I'm sorry I ever mentioned it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:05:56 PM »
The great image that dinosaurs once had has been tainted by the seemingly endless line of Land Before Time sequals...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:23:06 PM »
We need a 3D Yoshi's Island. Badly.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:33:26 PM »
Do we really?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
Why would we?

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »
Hey, I think the Quick Reply box got wider!  No?  Oh...

When you actually think about it, dinosaurs are fundamentally interesting.  It's too bad the concept has evolved into a specific image--a particular feeling that invokes fair maidens being eaten alive, and... I think that's about it, actually.  That's all dinosaurs do these days--eat fair maidens.

Or sing fairy tales.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 02:53:04 PM »
Wow, Glorb fails to realize that there are dino's in games, just as TC said, Yoshi! Besides, why would we need a 3-D YI? It sounds like an awful idea in my opinion. Just imagine, trying to swallow an enemy in 3-D would be tough, even harder to hit one with an egg.

PS: Must you shout out your game ideas in every thread The Chef?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »
Yes, and the idea sparked my mind when I first got control of Yoshi in SM64DS. Keep in mind, it'd be perfect for the Wii, since you could use the remote to aim Yoshi's tounge or egg shots.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
Or sing fairy tales.

OMG I'm offended you posted that link!!!1! *sarcasm*

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 04:22:02 PM »
I loved Barney the Dinosaur when I was little. O_o
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print