Print

Author Topic: Hard Games  (Read 23804 times)

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »
I can't remember all the hard games, but pretty much any NES game will do. Maybe it's that we had trouble with the games when young, and so coming back to it later, you still think it will be ridiculously tough, regardless whether you've improved since then. Although theoretically your reflexes would be fastest when young.

Dino Riki for NES is ridiculously hard, but I'd say it's hard to the point of being unfair (either that or I'm terrible at top-down shooters). Legend of Zelda for NES is very hard since you have limited movement, your sword normally has short distance, and there can be a bazillion enemies coming towards you. I bet a million dollars I'd actually be good at Metroid for NES if it had the same freedom of movement (diagonal shooting, increased running speed, refined control, etc.) of Super Metroid. Don't get me started on Contra for NES.

I was so amazed once I finally beat Super Mario Bros. - in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for GBC. I kept swearing that the Deluxe version was deliberately easier than the original.

For the longest time I had trouble in Pilotwings 64, couldn't pass the challenges. Then much later when going back to it, I was succeeding. I FINALLY understood how to use thermal vents to rise higher in the hang glider. Can you believe it, for years I didn't know how to use a thermal vent.

Come back to Wave Race 64 years later and it's pitifully easy. Maybe because I've played through Wave Race: Blue Storm and know how to ride the waves. I look back on the original and think "why was Southern Island a secret track? It's so easy!"

And in F-Zero GX, I found that a -little- more effort in challenges were all I needed to beat most of them. That might be more to perfecting my racing lines than anything else though. Then today I look at a video of a world record set in Super Mario Kart, and realize I'm pretty slow by comparison. But it also showed me what the SMK equivalent of "racing on the inside" looked like. Makes me think, then, that world records in any other racing game would look similar, where they get ridiculously close to the edges. Or in the case of the Mario Kart series, take crazy shortcuts.

But to this day I can't beat the original arcade Donkey Kong. I just want to smack the guy who said "you can't beat a [however old it is]-year-old game?" Dude, the games in the old days were hard! Not easy to control, sometimes unfair, and asked players to be pitch-perfect in timing!
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
PaperLuigi got assigned to write an essay on why Mega Man is harder than Mega Men 2-6 for English class.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 01:48:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure that part of this is the fact that NES games were early games and not all of them were programmed well (a lot of random 3rd party games) and they were actually harder by definition. I think 3D games are somehow inherently easy due to the nature of their controls and how good the physics programming is now. Although, there might be a lot of badly done random 3rd party 3D games that are hard too. I'm not sure.
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
PaperLuigi got assigned to write an essay on why Mega Man is harder than Mega Men 2-6 for English class.

Actually I just did cut and paste from wikipedia.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
As PL said, I think having to beat games in one sitting made games much harder. For example, the original SMB3 had no save.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
Unless you've got some time on your hands and an iron will, defeating a game in one sitting is very difficult. Some games like SMB aren't that tough to beat in one sitting, but games like MM1 and SMB3 are pretty annyoing. Is it true that the original Legend of Zelda had no save feature?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
No, it isn't.
Mega Man 1 isn't that annoying to beat. SMB3 I still can't beat though. Maybe I should try since I haven't in a few years.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:35 PM »
Is it true that the original Legend of Zelda had no save feature?
No.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
No, it isn't.
Mega Man 1 isn't that annoying to beat.

That is entirely your opinion. When fighting the Yellow Devil, do you use the pause trick?

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
Is it true that the original Legend of Zelda had no save feature?
Um, The original LoZ was one of the VERY FIRST games on the NES to have a save feature.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
Hardest two games I've ever played, hands down, are Milon's Secret Castle and Adventure Island 2. Both are for NES and both are out-of-control-ly hard.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
I think Megaman's extreeme difficulty is what makes it so fun.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 02:40:17 PM »
Um, The original LoZ was one of the VERY FIRST games on the NES to have a save feature.

Okay. And you're the second guy to tell me that now.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
Uh, "No, it isn't" was the answer to your question about The Legend of Zelda.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
I thought when you said "No, it isn't" you were referring to MM1.

So now Vid is actually the third guy to tell me that the LoZ had save feature.

Print