Print

Author Topic: Zelda Chronology *Zelda spoilers likely*  (Read 3821 times)

« on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
I recently started a new file in Ocarina of Time, and it got me to thinking about the Zelda chronology. Are the games in 'release order' (like the Mario series, more or less) or does one game come before the others (Yoshi's IsIand is obviously the first in the Mario series..)

Also, I am having trouble understanding why people think there are multiple timelines in the Zelda series. OoT and MM seem to be where the timeline 'splits', but I have been thinking and this cannot be the case because after the events of OoT, Zelda sends us back in time to before we collected the three Spiritual Stones, yes?

After collecting the three Stones and returning to Hyrule Castle Town, maybe the same thing happens: Zelda and Impa run off on their white horse, and Ganondorf fails to catch them at that time. He sees Link.. aw, you know what happens. Anyway, maybe upon retrieveing the Ocarina from the moat, Link could get a different telepathic message, and thus the events of MM play out.

He left Hyrule, and so the Triforce of Courage leaves him. Ganondorf takes over Hyrule because there is not a hero that comes and stops him. And that is what leads us into the next game, which ever that may be (Wind Waker? Twilight Princess?)

There are several games that I have not played, so if I've left something out or misunderstood something, let me know. Also, what is your take on the Zelda chronology?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
At the end of OoT, Zelda sends Link back in time and age to before he took the stones. Then, the Zelda back then calls Link to the castle and tells him her plan. Link remembers what happens and tells her not to get the Stones, and tells the King that Ganondorf is evil. Ganondorf flees the King's guards, only to come back about 100 years later in Twilight Princess. MM happens after Ganondorf leaves.

Meanwhile, the adult Zelda who sent Link back is still in the ruined Hyrule. This never happens in the other timeline, since Ganondorf was temporarily thwarted, but that doesn't eliminate this timeline. With no Link, this Ganon comes back somehow. The gods flood Hyrule, and Wind Waker happens a couple hundred years later.

Apparently Miyamoto and Aonuma actually have a timeline, and might reveal it someday, but until then, there are a couple thousand different theories. My favorite one is this one: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/timeline.shtml
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
I wonder if they realise that the description for the events of Link's Awakening is on there twice, once at 601 AH and once at 672 AH. Is that a mistake, or did I miss something? Also, I was not reading the timeline yet at the time of this post.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »
I think I remember them explaining that somewhere, though I can't find it now. IIRC, they pretty much said that since Link's Awakening was all a dream, it doesn't really matter where it goes, and you can put it anywhere you want. You could even say that one is the original version and one is the Game Boy Color version.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
I'm just gonna let this man explain it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29488.html?type=flv
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
one is the original version and one is the Game Boy Color version.

That thought occured to me after my post. I really don't like the 2 timelines theory, which is why I keep trying to keep things in one timeline. The website you pointed out was good. Thank you. :)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
Doesn't exist. Well, maybe in very small amounts. All in all, Zelda and Mario are very similar.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
I really don't like the 2 timelines theory
Well considering the pair of timelines is one of the few solid pieces of the timeline that Aonuma has specifically iterated, you're out of luck.

You could even say that one is the original version and one is the Game Boy Color version.
I thought they did a pretty good job with the timeline, but that's just flat-out dumb.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
I don't like it because every time a new game comes out..

"Which timeline does it fall in?" "It's a sequel to Young Link's story!" "It's a prequel to everything!"

Come to think of it, that's why I like the ending to Mario Galaxy a lot. It could be applied to a series like Zelda also. Ok, so I'm not totally opposed to the multiple timelines theory, but having more than two is just silly.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
Pretty much all that is certain is that Twilight Princess comes in the reality where Link, after beating Ganondorf, is sent back in time by Zelda where he foils Ganondorf's plot and he is sent to the Twilight Realm (and then Majora's Mask happens). In that timeline, none of the adult Link part of Ocarina of Time happened. The Wind Waker happens in the reality where Link awakens the sages and Ganondorf is sealed away.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 08:05:02 PM »
I think that some religions have been debated less than the Zelda chronology...

That being said, excluding certain games which are intentionally sequel-esque (Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass, etc.), I kind of like the theory that, as it is the Legend of Zelda, the games are all different retellings of the same tale (which is also a good excuse for the repetitive plots--not that I mind that, really!).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »
I'm just gonna let this man explain it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29488.html?type=flv

Somehow I knew before I clicked it that that was a link to the AVGN...
"it's always the present"

Print