The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
5 (7.9%)
Ōkami
3 (4.8%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Print

Author Topic: Your favorite Zelda games?  (Read 5566 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
What are your favorite Zelda games?  You can pick up to five.  If one of your favorites is not on the list, you feel strongly about your ranking, want to talk up (or down) certain games, or simply want to complain about my list please post below.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:26:17 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »
How is Okami related to Zelda?

My favorite is Ocarina of Time. I haven't played every Zelda game, including Majora's Mask, but I loved Ocarina.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
My votes, in no particular order except the first being my most favorite:

Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess

Basically, every 3D adventure plus the very first.

I loved Majora most because it had a very dark story, and taught you how to make use of your time wisely. I got very good at that to the point where I COULD just goof off if I wanted to, and enjoy the scenery, and stuff. Music was pretty awesome, too.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »
How is Okami related to Zelda?

Quote from: Wikipedia
The gameplay style is a mix of action, platform, and puzzle gaming genres, and has been noted by many reviewers to have numerous similarities in overall gameplay style to The Legend of Zelda series, an inspiration that director Hideki Kamiya, a self-proclaimed Zelda-fan, has admitted has influenced his general game design.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:17:03 PM »
You are awesome for putting Okami on here, because it basically is a Zelda game, but more beautiful and funny.

I also voted for both of the Four Swords because playing them four-player (the only way you should be playing them at all) is much more fun than playing any single-player Zelda. Our first run-through of Four Swords Adventure actually required signing a written contract to prevent us from murdering each other so we could complete the game.

Then I voted for Link's Awakening because I've played it the most times of any Zelda.

I chose Majora's Mask for my last vote because more games need to steal the Groundhog's Day mechanic. It's so cool!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »
To me, OoT, MM and WW seem to be the climax of my single-player gaming experience.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
OoT, for sheer first-3-D-Zelda-and-still-awesome classicness, MM for wildly unprecendented creativity, Wind Waker for cool art style, and Minish Cap for Capcom-induced freshness. As for TP, when the aliens land and ask to see our greatest accomplishments as a species, I will show them the printing press, the car, penicillian, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I'm loving Okami, and it is totally Zelda-esque, but I'm sticking to the actual series here.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
TP is actually my least favorite of the 3D Zeldas. 

I voted for: 
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Ōkami

I allowed up to five for this poll, but by the count some people must not have used all five.  That's fine, but if I'd voted for a sixth it would have been Link's Awakening.  I suggest it to anyone who can find it and has a GBA or GBA Player.

What games besides Ōkami are Zelda enough that you might include them in this list? 

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
The original :D
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »
You left out The Faces of Evil, The Wand of Gamelon, and Zelda's Adventure.  Plus the fighting games that Link's been in if you want to count those.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
I left off several Zelda games because I didn't think anyone would even consider them.  CD-i games for example.  I also left of the cameo and spin-off titles.  If you think any of those you listed or others that aren't on the poll and you would vote for them let me know and I'll add them. 

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »
The Legend of Zelda, Phantom Hourglass. Don't get me wrong, the other Zelda games are fun, but I like PH (Phantom Hourglass) better.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
I really should give PH another try and some more time.  I got sidetracked shortly after starting it and haven't spent any real time with my DS since then.  I'd much rather play games on my TV than on a heldheld.  Too bad most of the best 2D games are handheld and now that my GBA Player isn't connected I can't play them on my TV. 

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »
Like I said, I'm not nominating Okami as a "favorite Zelda game", but I do want to give it props for boldly going where Nintendo has never gone before--like implementing a boss that you beat by getting him drunk and a female character referred to in-game as "stacked to the ceiling".

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
I need to get that game, dangit.
That was a joke.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
going where Nintendo has never gone before...a female character..."stacked to the ceiling".

In the yellow (I'm kidding, of course. She hasn't reached the ceiling yet.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:21:53 AM by Captain Jim »
No! I don't want that!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 06:47:14 AM »
^ LOL

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
You are awesome for putting Okami on here, because it basically is a Zelda game, but more beautiful and funny.
Hear hear. As soon as I saw Okami on the list, I forgot the others were there, and thus didn't vote for them. Whoops. I should have also voted for Zelda: Ocarina of Time (even though I'm darn tired of that game by now, I recognize that no other game since has been quite as engaging. I noticed in particular that "Twilight Princess" Link moves like molasses when climbing vines/mesh compared to "Ocarina of Time" Link).

1st. Okami (the only one I voted for)
2nd. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3rd. Zelda: Majora's Mask
4th. Zelda: A Link To The Past
5th. Zelda (original for NES)
(6th. Zelda: Twilight Princess. I haven't finished it and don't plan to)

Initially I was interested in Okami because it had a wolf in it. Upon hearing Twilight Princess would too have a wolf, I wasn't thrilled about that, but thought "hey, even more reason to compare what are surely going to be the two best games of the year". Moving around as Twilight Princess wolf Link confirmed that wolf Link just wasn't as satisfying to play as Amaterasu (although I admit Ammy runs painfully slow at first).

Loved Okami for the Japanese culture everywhere, the music, and the sense of adventure (Ryoshima Coast in particular. I remember seeing a strange pointless island out in the middle of the sea, and then realizing "oh yeah, I can go over there"). Gameplay was decent. Humor was surprising to say the least, but I saw it as a hint of what Japanese culture finds acceptable.
Actually, the humor part I found most surprising was the Golden Fury power. Nevermind that it lets Ammy urinate on enemies to get Demon Fangs. What I found surprising was that Capcom found a way to make it stylized enough that it looks godly. I've never seen heavenly pee before, but it's hilarious to see it implemented that way. And it's my preferred method for getting Demon Fangs since I find it easier to use than the traditional method of using brush powers on them.

I still think Orochi's one of the better bosses in recent memory for appearing so epic. Ninetales deserves mention too for being an absolute witch to beat.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
The original (being the only one I own).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
LttP
OoT
FSA
Okami
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print