Print

Author Topic: Emulators vs. Consoles  (Read 18081 times)

« on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:08 AM »
What do you Prefer to play on?
What do Yoshi eggs taste like?

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:40 AM »
I'd rather play the game on a console than in an emulator on a computer, for several reasons:

• Emulation is sometimes buggy and lagging
  • Sounds and graphics can be off compared to the real thing
  • You can't get the same nostalgic feelings when you play in an emulator
  • You feel better that it's not illegal
  • Jumping all over the game using save states sometimes destroys the anticipation and experience of playing through to those parts you love
  • The ability to take the game apart so easily ruins its "magic"
  • Using save states to undo errors removes a portion of the challenge

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »
This thread will be riddled with the mistake that "emulator" means "ROM on computer, and illegal." When I'm playing a game emulated, it's usually on my DS. The Virtual Console is legal emulation.

That being said, my opinion is mixed. I'm all for paying Nintendo for their work, using the controller the game was made to use and all that. But on the other hand, I can play Super Mario All-Stars on my DS (SNEmulDS is a bit buggy at times, but when it is it's usually with battle backgrounds in EarthBound... and Tetris Attack, that's really difficult to play).

The moral value... I don't see anything horribly wrong with playing a game I already own anywhere I want. That, and I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal. So, for now, stuff like Majora's Mask is fair game. And EarthBound... It's criminal of Nintendo to have not yet put it on the Virtual Console, at the very least.

As far as save states go, I only use them when I need to stop playing but can't actually save--I don't continue from states twice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
The moral value... I don't see anything horribly wrong with playing a game I already own anywhere I want. That, and I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal. So, for now, stuff like Majora's Mask is fair game. And EarthBound... It's criminal of Nintendo to have not yet put it on the Virtual Console, at the very least.

+1
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
If the current trend of NoA being nasty around Mother 3 stays true, then the only way I will get my grubby hands on Lucas' adventure is via Starman(dot)net's translation, once it's released.

That, and they basically spoiled the [darn] game in Smash Bros. Brawl (because they thought we knew most of it already with our die hard research.

I think this thread should be "Earthbound fans vs. NoA," but that battle is as old as the GBA itself. =/
Canada, eh? '87

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
I believe that if you can't currently buy it from Nintendo, it's not illegal.
Unfortunately, believing doesn't make it true.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »
Until Nintendo gives us a better solution, it should be true.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
There's always the solution of going out and legally buying the game. However, game prices are incredibly high. CDs and books are generally $15, movies are around $20 -- what makes a game so #%@$ special that it costs around $50? I don't have that kind of money to spend!
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
Final Fantasy VII is $62.00 and up on Amazon, whereas all the others are at least reasonably priced, if not freakishly cheap.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
Most of the games I play on emulators are games I already have, yet I lost them, but I still have the receipt.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
I will always prefer an actual console to emulation on a computer. I think emulation of console games on portable systems is cool for when you can't play on a console. If it's somehow impossible to play a game on a console, emulating it is okay in my book. This is talking stuff like games never being localized to a language you can read. Even if emulation of commercial ROMs is illegal under normal conditions, it amounts to the same amount of money going to the developers as buying a used copy (especially in the case of old games) ($0). So there's nothing exactly morally wrong about it in that regard. That said, I will sooner purchase a used game than buy the same game on virtual console because I prefer to play on the original system whenever possible, for historical accuracy.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »
Consoles are better by far even tho they don't support many good features emulation does. (not including frame skipping and accuracy modifiers but rather sound channel muting options, etc.)
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
Unfortunately, believing doesn't make it true.
I know. But I don't feel bad about it and say that players who are anti-emulation for legal reasons should give it a break if those are the circumstances. Nintendo's not going to send men with guns to go after you. Their finances do not depend on whether you played an EarthBound ROM, bought it used for a crazy price, or never played it at all (in fact, maybe after trying it you'd want to buy it on the Virtual Console, so they benefit). So it all really comes down to you--are you going to experience this game, or just pretend it doesn't exist?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
Consoles are better by far even tho they don't support many good features emulation does. (not including frame skipping and accuracy modifiers but rather sound channel muting options, etc.)
Why would you want to mute any of the sound channels?
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
That's what I was wondering. I've been known to do it for experimentation, but as long as the emulator is emulating properly there is no good reason.
That was a joke.

Print