Print

Author Topic: Nintendo introduces Wii MotionPlus for Wii  (Read 21243 times)

« on: July 14, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »
Sounds good. I'm hoping it comes bundled with a new Zelda game.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Basically, what it is, is a little dongle that you add onto your Wiimote that will make the motion 1:1.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Not sure what all this means, but it sounds like "Sorry, we didn't make the sensor good enough the first time, buy this"
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »
How will we be able to use it when playing MKW or a Wii Zapper game? And whats the point in making this? Not like it will change anything important...

Oh and Nintendo you should have really fixed the SD card problems first before making somthing like this.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »
The clasp on the bottom seems to be for the Nunchuk. Perhaps it is suited for the Red Steel sequel, as well as giving other third-party publishers a reason for coming up with working motion controls for their games.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:43:35 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »
Uh, why would we be using it in Mario Kart Wii? Besides, I'm sure that's just prototypical. I doubt Nintendo is stupid enough to put out an attachment, then after they release it they suddenly realize OH SNAP HOW DO WE GET THE NUNCHUK INTO IT?

And yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and pass on a new Zelda game. I've never been a big fan of Zelda, and Twilight Princess absolutely killed it for me. Doesn't help that Mario Galaxy ended up as one of the greatest things ever made either.

Realistically though, doesn't anyone else see a Wii Sports 2 coming now with this add-on? Nintendo knows how to make money, and every person (read: idiot) who loved Wii Sports will pour money out at them for new Wii Sports with better control.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need to make accessories like this. They can barely keep up with demand for Wiis as it is.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:32:50 PM »
They need to if they want to make games everyone thought they already could with the Wii Remote, apparently. I like to think that someone cares about making good games along with printing money.
As for Forest Guy, reading NE89's post just above would seem to clarify that when you actually look at the picture you can see a nunchuk port.
And I guess there's no accounting for taste, considering how fun Wii Sports and Twilight Princess are.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »
...Why didn't they do this to begin with? Isn't this what we expected when Wii came out, for our motions to be reproduced on-screen 1 to 1?

While I'm hoping this will now mean that things in games follow our movements exactly (make up my own sword swipes for Link, make golf work properly), we still have to wait for new games that make use of it. And in some novel way since a new Zelda game's just not going to cut it. I don't see old games getting an upgraded treatment. Oh, just another totally necessary thing to buy... or something that will gather dust. And will this MotionPlus thing make it impossible to use with the other peripherals, meaning you can't get 1:1 movement with peripherals?

Maybe I still don't quite understand this thing. I'm waiting for them to make a Wii version of that cool controller thing that lets you really feel objects in the game. Not the Rumble Pak, but you take ahold of this ball thing, one for each hand, touch something in the game and the ball almost changes texture so that you feel a unique sensation, or you feel resistance. I forget what that's called. Geez, the original Black & White for PC was supposed to have support for a thing like that. Why can't we have controllers today that let us feel things? And then after that, maybe the 3D sight thing that that cool Wii homebrew person was showing off. Then maybe smell-o-vision or something.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:38:07 AM »
Like people kept saying for posts and posts back there, there's a port for plugging everything in on the end of the MotionPlus module!
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:18:26 AM »
I wonder if it will enhance the Nunchuk's control somehow...

I love this. Nintendo makes an improvement for an old controller that doesn't force you to buy a new controller, and the reaction is... negative.

As for Mario Kart Wii, guess you'll have to lose the wheel if you want to use it for rotation control. The Zapper, you'll have to live without it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:36 AM »
I'm with penguinwizard. Screw this thing, I want texture-changing balls for my controller.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »
My first guesses of how the peripheral will be used:

- Bundled w/ Wii Sports 2 or similar game
- Wii Music, for better conducting accuracy (WarioWare's conducting was simply waving it around)
- Red Steel Sequel, to enhance and solve the motion control problems present in the original
- Cooking games where your hand motions truly affect how food is prepared (cutting, stirring)
- H.A.M.M.E.R, to mimic arm swings closer (?)

My first guess for cost would be somewhere lower than the Nunchuk's cost of $20.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:21:04 AM »
No dude.

A) The Wii Zelda

or

B) Lightsaber game

It's going to be bundled with one of these.

But actually I hadn't thought about Wii Music until now. That is actually an excellent possibility considering its release schedule and that all the Wii X games have come with a peripheral. Good thinking my man.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:23:03 AM by Lizard Dude »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
Wii Sports 2 should include fencing with this thing.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Yessssss, I called it. Wii Sports 2 bundled with the new MotionPlus thing. Wii Sports Resort? Ah jeeze...
= = = = = = =

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
Yes, you certainly did. And guess what! Wii Sports Resort has fencing!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
I was reading the PR spiel on nintendo's site. I like how re- is added to every verb. Essentially, this is a downloadable patch, but in physical form. Next, we'll have a dongle that sticks on to this dongle and makes your in-game movements even more realistic than your actual movements, and then a dongle for that that'll fix all the bugs in that dongle.

Srsly, this is stupid. Whatever happened to getting stuff right the first time?
every

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Yeah, admittedly the fencing looks somewhat neat, but the thing about Wii Sports anything is that I'd rather just have a full fledged game of that specific activity. Look at it this way. Right now, people are all looking at the sword fights and thinking "Whoa! Finally!" The first week or so, they're gonna feel great about it. But without anything to actually motivate them to continue playing it, they'll just get tired of it after a couple of weeks. (I.e. what happened to a lot of people with Wii Sports)
= = = = = = =

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »
Star Wars Wii.  Make the lightsaber slashes/stabs match the Wiimote movements for a fully customizable fighting style.  It should also measure the speed and force to determine how fast/damaging the blows are.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
penguinwizard: What your describing is called "haptics, haptic control, haptic technology," etc. When I heard rumors of the new Wii controller (before the remote was revealed) maybe possibly sporting haptic controls like temperature control for certain games, etc. I thought "WOW THATD BE COOL... oh wait Nintendo would never do that."

But anyway, yes, Golf on Sports got annoying if you didn't need full power. Putting was a chore and I figured out all you have to do is point the remote down and kinda thrust it down or bend your knees quickly and it'll register perfectly. I never got the putting to work the way it was supposed to.

The only thing I see the little dingleberry thingy working for is fixing the Internet Channel and Wii Play's shooting game. I hate barely moving and the pointer flying around; and when you slow the pointer speed down it acts sluggish so I've learned to move my remote within a barely 2 inch diameter to navigate my whole friggin' 46" TV. I want to point to exactly what I'm pointing at and the pointer be there when I want it!!

Oh and HD cables + Widescreen = No matter if you set your Wii to widescreen just OH SO LITTLE will be cut off; and with me on a plasma screen in the living room or my awesome TV in my room when using the Internet Channel the top left and especially lower right of the screen distorts a bit and goes double like the pointer is drunk. Also in the lower left is a little sliver of screen that is just totally black and extends upwards from the bottom of about the left 1/3 of the screen until it hits the left side of the screen... ugh that didn't come out right... sigh it looks like a 90º triangle:

|---------__________
|  IN 480P             ----------------_________  REST OF SCREEN
|  VOID IN BOTTOM LEFT OF SCREEN ----------------___________
|__________________________________________________________________

Another thing is when you get close to the edge of the screen the pointer will freak out or if you're at an angle greater than about 15º horizontally it'll freak out and I don't feel like zooming in constantly to click something way smaller than the pointer on the very edge of the screen because it's cut off.

***There are no smudges or objects in the way or interfering with the sensor bar and the Wiimote is fine, too, so please don't say "O H TRENMAN U PROLLY JUTS HAVE SUCK SENSRO BAR OR SUMTIN.***
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:18:15 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
A useless addon that should have been in the Wii in the first place.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
If it's useless, why should it have been in the Wii in the first place?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:28 PM »
If it's not useless, why split hairs about it?

Yeah, what now, son?
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:12:50 PM »
Oh and HD cables + Widescreen = No matter if you set your Wii to widescreen just OH SO LITTLE will be cut off; and with me on a plasma screen in the living room or my awesome TV in my room when using the Internet Channel the top left and especially lower right of the screen distorts a bit and goes double like the pointer is drunk. Also in the lower left is a little sliver of screen that is just totally black and extends upwards from the bottom of about the left 1/3 of the screen until it hits the left side of the screen... ugh that didn't come out right... sigh it looks like a 90º triangle:
I don't have this problem.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »
My problem with Wii Sports mainly is that several of those sports, I actually play in reality. So when I went to play the Wii-ified version, I wasn't expecting the waggle treatment.

Wii Tennis: A real tennis swing involves you swinging from high to low to high with your arm. Doing so in Wii Tennis results in over 9000 lobs per match.
Wii Baseball: For some reason, programmers thought people would instinctively just hold their arm out and then swing it downards quickly when trying to pitch, rather than doing an actual pitching motion. Instead, when the average shlub tries this, they end up throwing a geriatric 60mph fastball right over the plate. Not to mention... zero control of fielders/runners = simple = ...fun??
Wii Golf: Basically, swing the Wii Remote about as fast as you would cradle a newborn baby in your arms or the ball's going into the rough.

Bowling was the only thing that was passable as a sport simulation (if you could really call bowling a sport) and Boxing was more or less our first taste of SWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWINGSWING to get things done in a game.

In conclusion: Wii Sports = rubbish. Where the hell's my Mario Tennis?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:59:15 AM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
If you think Wii Sports Tennis is bad now, you should have played it during E3 2006.  I tried to do backhand shots and ended up with total fail.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
Thing is, I understand Nintendo's whole point of view on the casual market. I really like it too. I love playing stuff like Crosswords DS and Wii Fit. The problem is they're falling into this trap which I think is more just a matter of laziness. They could add in basic things that normally make sense, but they don't have to, so long as they just say it's simple and easy that way.

Let's go back to Wii Baseball again for a moment. The idea of the whole Wii Sports package is that you get to play all these sports using your Wii, right? Well, when you remove an entire aspect of a sport (running/fielding) then it kind of defeats the purpose of having it at all.

Nintendo seems to be confusing the idea of a 'casual gamer' with another demographic, 'person who never plays video games'. I like to think of myself as a casual gamer sometimes, since I'd be more content playing Bomberman than Smash Bros. or something intense in that line. But just to play devil's advocate, I'll think of a casual gamer as someone who in fact, never plays video games.

So when you take this person who supposedly never plays video games, and tell them they can play this baseball video game just like a real game of baseball,  then yes, they'll probably be interesed. However, most, if not all, of these people who know what baseball is, but don't really play it or video games, are going to be wondering where the fielding went. They know it's a part of baseball, and they were expecting to play baseball on the Wii, so now they're left short. So in this case, does this idea of 'simple is better' work in the casual gamer's favor? Frankly, no. There's a difference between simple (Mario Party) and flat out non-existant (Wii Tennis).

Ok, I think that's enough ranting about Wii Sports for now... I gotta get out of this thread.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
Wii Sports was nothing more for me than a distraction before I got my first real game two days later. I never even play it now at all. (and for those who are wondering, I didn't get a real game right away because of my extremely limited budget.)

I honestly don't mind the idea of a motion sensor improvement device, since I understand how perfecting new technology takes time. If they pack it in with a cool game, I'll probably buy it eventually. :)

What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »
Here's the funniest reaction I've seen so far:

Quote from: Tetsuo9999
Man, and I used to think that buying batteries for my Dreamcast VMU just to stop it from beeping was annoying.

Now people willingly pay 20-30$ for pieces of plastic to put their remotes in.

It's only been about nine years. What the hell happened?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
Hey, one of my predictions came true, but anyone could've seen it coming.

Red Steel looked really interesting, but the reports about somewhat buggy controls kept me from playing it. I might get this one if reviews say the controls have improved.

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
I thought it was two predictions come true... I thought the Wii Sports 2 game was using the MotionPlus... but Red Steel 2, I never would have expected that. Did anybody buy that game? I assume no one did because of all the harsh reviews.

We need a Tron 3.0, so you can throw killer frisbees just like in real life. Anybody that doesn't believe me, here's the frisbee scene from the first movie.
If anybody's wondering what happened to Tron 2.0, it was released five years ago, you just never heard about it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:03:11 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
Yeah, we heard about it. And owned it when you were still in grade school.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »
And don't insinuate that we never saw the movie.

20 times.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
Tron 3.0 needs a bike level, although WM+ won't be necessary since you should only be able to turn at right angles.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Tron 2.0 had lightcycle levels.
The upcoming movie TR2N has lightcycles that can turn at less extreme angles, so if a game comes after that, lightcycles might be different. However the problem there lies in the whole current movie -> game adaptation horribleness trap.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »
Shouldn't it be TR1N, not TR2N? 'Cause like 1 comes after 0.
every

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
I hate to break the monotony conversation, but I just realised how redundant the topic title is..

Nintendo introduces Wii MotionPlus for Wii

Obviously, if Nintendo made it, it's going to be on one of their two current systems. Then to say for Wii after the title of a Wii game, that's just.. well, it's redundant.

I bet the person who named it used to work in the U.S. Department of Redundancy Department.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 01:39:41 AM »
I bet the person who named it used to work in the U.S. Department of Redundancy Department.
"But don't worry at all people, it's not a problem, it will all be cleared up by tomorrow's Congressional Tipline Oversight Meeting on Redundancy Get-Together! There will be four of them!" -- Jon Stewart, after hearing that the "House Oversight Committee established a waste and inefficiency tipline... and then another one."

I recently looked up a video of Tron 2.0 after hearing that its visuals still stand up today... and I don't really see it. It's clean and somewhat confusing at the same time. I suppose that in the world of Tron, it kind of frees you from detailed visuals and fancy special effects (maybe even allows some graphical glitches) because that relative simplicity just works for the theme. Reminds me of that Hsu and Chan comic where they invented a magic world to conveniently explain away all the blatant glitches in their game.

Also reminds me when someone said the path AI in "Darwinia" was terrible, but then reasoned that maybe that was intentional given the theme. Is it really right to use a world theme to justify what might be shortcomings in a game? Just wondering where appropriate laziness ends and shortcomings begin. I know we can justify Goombas for being idiots, but I still can't believe the Koopalings in "Mario Is Missing!" had no way to attack you and couldn't hurt you, making those "boss fights" pointless. Kids can handle a LITTLE challenge, certainly!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:44:26 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
I don't know what video you looked up or on whose computer the video was made, but Tron 2.0 is still a pretty good looking game, and certainly upholds the visual style of the movie quite well. That's the important issue either way.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Superman 64 would've done better had all its shortcomings been explained in the opening cinematic.

Commissioner Gordon: Superman! Thank god you're here! Lex Luther and The Joker and Mister Myxyplukxkxkxikstyklk have teamed up and teleported all the buildings in whatever city this is to this big blank empty void! And they say they'll start killing hostages if you don't fly through all these rings!

Superman: *yawn* Yeah sure whatever.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
That seems to imply that Batman would make a cameo, thus saving the game from it's non-awesome demise, which didn't happen.

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 06:00:23 PM »
Actually, just mentioning Mister Myxyplukxkxkxikstyklk would be enough explanation. And I'm pretty sure you could misspell Myxy's name and no one would notice. Except for rabid Superman fans who would be playing the game anyway. I just pronounce his name as "Moxy".
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
Microsoft Sam pronounced my version as "Mick-ship-lock-shk-shk-shk-shickstapled".
every

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »
I find "shickstapled" hilarious for some reason.

I never say "Nintendo" or "Wii" before a product. I know what system it's for, I assume the sales clerk would know too (if not, I'll just point to a box). I never said "Nintendo GameCube" or GCN, I just said GC whenever referring to that system.

Although now I find it kind of funny. In .NET programming languages, the abbreviation for "garbage collector" is also GC. Wii's more of a garbage shovelware collector than GameCube was.
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »
I agree. Saying the company name before a system makes you come off as sort of...I dunno, weird. Unless it's Atari 2600 or something else where the company name is part of the console's name.

And just for the record, I say NES as "Nintendo" and SNES as "Super Nintendo" when talking out loud. That seems to make people angry sometimes for some reason.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »
Any S and Super Any S. Probably because I've grown up around people who called any game console or handheld I played "the Nintendo." I've gotten into the habit of specifying.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »
"Super Any S" hurts my eyes. I say NES and Super Nintendo. "Super Nintendo" because that's easier for me to say than SNES, "NES" because "Nintendo" alone could refer to a billion things and NES is a convenient way to refer to the original. I'm not sure why people would get angry at you for saying Super Nintendo unless it makes them think "dadgum baby-boomers playin' their Super Nintendos instead o' gettin' jobs... rassa-frass..."

N64 because Nintendo 64 is wordy, GameCube because I don't like the abbreviations GC or GCN, Wii because it's one syllable...

You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
I verbally abbreviate Wii as Double-U.
every

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 07:18:24 AM »
It looks like another game has Wii MotionPlus.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:26:16 AM by luigalaxy »

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »
...which I mentioned earlier.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »
Any S
S Any S
Sixty-four
Cube
Wii

P S 1
P S 2
P S 3

Original Xbox

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:21 AM »
If I'm strapped for time:

Ness
Shnesh
Nsfore
Some shorter version of cube
Dubya

Ps
Pss
Psss

Box
White Box
every

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2008, 10:00:24 AM »
But "W" has more syllables than "Wii"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
But Wii has more letters than W.

Pwned!
every

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
No, it doesn't.
I verbally abbreviate Wii as Double-U.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:15 AM »
But Wii has more letters than W.

Pwned!

Nah... you can't pwn Deezer that easily.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 08:23:01 AM »
Wow... for once, I agree with what most of you guys said.

Not sure what all this means, but it sounds like "Sorry, we didn't make the sensor good enough the first time, buy this"
Yeah, pretty much. Besides, can't the Wii already do 1:1, it's just that devs are too lazy? (I mean, I'm genuinely unsure about that).

...Why didn't they do this to begin with? Isn't this what we expected when Wii came out, for our motions to be reproduced on-screen 1 to 1?
I think it's kind of like how fast they made the DS Lite. You know, for a company that doesn't ever really release patches (which is neither here nor there), Nintendo certainly seems to be designing things with that kind of mindset.

And enough with the God-dang cash-in bundles already!

Additionally, while we're on the topic:

Enn-Eee-Ess
Super Enn-Eee-Ess
Enn-sixty-four
GameCube
Wii
Pee-Ess-Three
Three-sixty

Putting the name of a console's maker before it is for the people making the console.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
I say them as:
En-Ee-Es
Es-En-Ee-Es
N64 OR Nintendo 64 (depends on the person I'm speaking to.)
GameCube
Wii

Pe-Es One
Pe-Es Two
Pe-Es Three

Xbox
Xbox 360 OR 360 (Again, depends on the person I'm talking to.)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:30 PM »
Yeah, pretty much. Besides, can't the Wii already do 1:1, it's just that devs are too lazy? (I mean, I'm genuinely unsure about that).
Nope.  Well, only in a few isolated cases like tilt control in Kororinpa.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »
Nope.

Well then, it's settled. That's all I needed to hear.

I'm still skeptical. I think the Wii is fully capable of 1:1 motion control and this is a big fat jumpin' flappin' tap-dancin' scam.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
I wonder if the ball levels of SMG (the ones where you hold the Wiimote vertically) would have been easier with 1:1 motion sensing... I swear, it took me at least 20 tries to do the Rolling Gizmo Galaxy.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
That IS one of the special cases where 1:1 actually works already.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »
So that would be a "no" on the issue of its being easier...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 02:22:26 PM »
I think Nintendo should forget perfecting 1:1 control and focus on 0:0 (as long as the first game to utilize it is a second-person shooter).
every

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
0:0 control... a game that uses no input and... does nothing? Sounds like a great marketing strategy.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
Well, they're halfway there in any case.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:01 PM »
I'm actually surprised no one's done a second-person shooter yet (that I know of).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
How in the world would that even work? Come to think of it, have there ever been any "2nd person" games? I'm tempted to say the very concept doesn't even exist, but I heard somewhere that second-person can refer to the action of something being seen through the eyes of another person not performing the action. I mean, there's games where you play as someone controlling someone else (Pikmin and Pokemon, for example), but not in... that kind of way.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »
A second-person shooter would be from the POV of the guy getting shot, but you'd still be playing as the shooter.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant, and that's also why it's impossible to make a game like that. I mean, maybe a segment of a game, but...

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »
It's not impossible. Here's a second-person shooter. But it's nearly impossible to make it playable in the long term.

You know what'd be cool, a game where some other guy tries to keep pace and keep sight of you. Maybe a game where you try to hide from the second person, there's a visual cue to indicate where you are, and you try to sneak around without being sighted by the guy.

But then I have to wonder: If you had to include visual cues and/or radar to make the game playable, people would just stare at the radar the whole time. The game could be reduced to show just the radar and it'd be just as playable.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:57:00 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2008, 06:53:51 AM »
It's not impossible. Here's a second-person shooter. But it's nearly impossible to make it playable in the long term
That's what I meant by "segment of a game". I mean, once you shoot the guy who's watching you (and don't even get me started on the topic of who would be considered "you" in such an instance)... now what?

That just reminds me... the battle with Crayyk (or however you spell it) in PH was cool. That's how you'd get it to work--with some sort of DS/Wii connectivity or the DS's two screens or something.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
You know what'd be cool, a game where some other guy tries to keep pace and keep sight of you. Maybe a game where you try to hide from the second person, there's a visual cue to indicate where you are, and you try to sneak around without being sighted by the guy.

But then I have to wonder: If you had to include visual cues and/or radar to make the game playable, people would just stare at the radar the whole time. The game could be reduced to show just the radar and it'd be just as playable.

Sounds a wee bit like Siren.

This concept would be cool for multiplayer. P1 chases P2; P1 has a FP view of P2, but P2 sees through the same view and must run from P1 while staying in his/her field of vision.
every

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
Except you wouldn't know if P1 ran into a wall or tripped or something.

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2008, 03:11:07 AM »
2nd person fps? Super-shoot-at-the-screen-for-three-hours!  BEST game ever!
Huuuuurgh!  My brain hurts!
I can't keep up with plot
points this complicated!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
I'd say roughly 100% of that post made no sense.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »
*gasp* You should only be able to get away with that in the Pointless Topic (you have to have posts make 1% sense anywhere else)!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
Well, there was "2nd person"... "fps"... "shoot"... "game". Hey, I've seen less pointless-er.

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:54 PM »
0:0 control... a game that uses no input and... does nothing? Sounds like a great marketing strategy.

The first time I read that, I thought it said O.O control.

Hmm.. a game that uses no input and does nothing? I think those are called movies, where you have no control over the outcome of the plot. I could be wrong.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
Hmm.. a game that uses no input and does nothing? I think those are called movies, where you have no control over the outcome of the plot. I could be wrong.
I thought that was what 2/3rds of any Metal Gear Solid game was. I still wish it was true that MGS4 had a 90-minute cutscene.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
Meh, looking at that post that was made on my phone, with no typing funtions*no enter button* and thinking of my lack of sleep...  .5% sense       
Huuuuurgh!  My brain hurts!
I can't keep up with plot
points this complicated!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »
I thought that was what 2/3rds of any Metal Gear Solid game was.

Ooooh! Issawn now!
every

Print