Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57351 times)

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 12:08:51 AM »
Strangely, I actually kind of like tripping. It's such an absolutely incredibly retarded thing to put in a game it loops past stupid back to cool.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
Slow bats is a big deal to me. Batting people was my greatest joy in the game. Now it's impossible.

So, in other words, you like the over-powered item from Melee that can KO in one hit (or two, depending on the weight), the only thing required of using said item is to pick up and swing?  But not the item in Brawl that you have to fight your way through the entire stage to get, that even once you get it you have to aim/time your hit perfectly?  Sorry, but the Smash Balls take a lot more skill to obtain and use, IMO.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
Like a lot of people, I disagree that Melee is better than Brawl. Personally, while some people may hate the final smashes, I don't mind them at all. Sure, I'm not a hardcore tournament player, but I'm not just a casual non-gamer either. I've played Brawl a lot, and overall I don't agree that Smash balls are game breaking items. They do add a LOT of power, but basically all of them can be avoided in some way. Plus, getting a Final smash in no way means that you always win. Normal fighting and KOing with other items plays just as big a part in my games as smash balls do. My main is Donkey Kong, and Smash balls only account for about a third of my KOs. The other two thirds are using normal attacks and other items like the Dragoon, Shells, Assist trophies and Pokeballs, and all the other items.

Now, there is one thing that is a bit annoying for me. While basically all the final smashes are avoidable, Super Sonic stands out as very broken. This isn't that big of a concern to me though, as Sonic otherwise is a pretty crappy character. The smashballs may make him KO a bit better, but a bad character with a super powerful final attack is still overall a bad character. Another thing to mention is that Smash Balls don't always affect the matches a ton. Sometimes they don't appear barely at all in matches, and you have a Dragoon on the stage, they won't appear until it's used. This makes the matches more varried, and thus a lot of my games have involved far more regular KOing and other item KOing than Final Smashes.

Oh, and I also completely disagree about the graphics. IMO, Brawl is WAY better looking at Melee. Melee's character models are very undetailed, and the affects and stages aren't nearly as pretty as Brawl's. Honestly, Melee has always looked a bit washed out and pale looking, especially now that I have Brawl - which is ultra smooth and detailed.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »
Smash Balls take a lot more skill to obtain and use, IMO.
Depends on who you are. If you're Ness, the Smash Ball is a spherical manifestation of paradise. Easy to get it (PK Thunder), easy to start the Final Smash (Press B. No waiting.), and easy to control (don't do anything) with good results (juggling meteors fall from the sky and if you're playing a four-player match you're bound to get at least one KO). Wario's aerials make it fairly easy for him to get them, and his Final Smash is incredible. AND amusing.

But for some it's hard to get them and hard to start them. With no projectiles, Captain Falcon has trouble destroying the ball. And then he has to risk it all and get the enemies to be right in front of him, the more, the better. And then the short cinematic might not end before the fight does, or the enemy might not die if you're on a huge stage. Poor RED, his Pokémon delay a little initiating triple finish and it's easy to tell when it's starting. But the game doesn't stop the enemies from escaping to safety. If it DOES get you, you could be caught in a part that's not particularly deadly.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Strangely, I actually kind of like tripping.
Is it just me?
"it's always the present"

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »
...wait, what?

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »
Really? Bats in melee aren't as powerful.
And LD if you really want to pwn wid teh batz in brawl, choose Ice Climbers, and with this technic  I am about to teach you, you will be pwning with teh batz all day again. First,get a bat. Then give it to the secondary Ice Climber(Jump and press Z, you will drop it and for some reason the other one will take it.) Now grab your foe, and tilt the c stick in the direction where your opponent is. BAM. I once koed like 4 times in one match before they koed my helper. Which may seem like a small number, but then I got a stopwatch and koed 3 more times!

And Batting is even faster in Smash 64 so you might as well play it again.

AND the only Final Smashes I feel are broken are the Landmasters. I think that everyone that has lost 2 stocks thanks to only one smash ball agrees with me.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
I'll have to try that trick! I even like the Climbers so it won't be like I'm waiting for bats while forced to be someone I don't like.

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
Subspace Emissary was one of the least fun things I've done all year in gaming. The cutscenes were good though.

I just remembered another thing:

Game Title Vocalization
In Brawl, the announcer doesn't scream the title of the game on the title screen. This is absolutely unforgiveable in a modern fighting game. You think I'm joking, but I'm not.

And he doesn't scream "GAME!!!!!" like the old one does.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
Um. Do you honestly watch the whole intro every time you start the game? I don't play to hear a man shout "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BrrRRRRRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllll!" I play because I want to play, and the loading takes long enough as it is.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
While basically all the final smashes are avoidable, Super Sonic stands out as very broken. This isn't that big of a concern to me though, as Sonic otherwise is a pretty crappy character.

I wouldn't call any classify any character as something along the lines of "bad." While Sonic's final smash may be very powerful, he's still a good character without it. He may be harder to play than some other characters, but with the right strategy, he can beat down tough foes easily. He only has a few powerful attacks, but if you use a good strategy, you can nail opponents with them.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »
I think the smash ball requires some skill to break, and to avoid, so essentially I don't think it necessarily cancels out the skills one may possess, rather it adds on more skills a player needs to learn.  However, it does seem like a random add-on to the game, much like the snitch in Quidditch, except less awesome.  SSB gameplay is fine without it, hence why Melee stands on its own as a very enjoyable game.

I also really liked Ness's smash move in the original SSB because he had a home run bat of his own.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »
Markio wins the Greatest Nerd Lifetime Achievement award for intelligently discussing a point of a video game and using a reference to Harry Potter in an effective manner while doing so.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »
You know, in Melee, Ness swings the Home Run Bat very much unlike one swings a bat in baseball. I've always found that fairly ironic seeing as he uses a bat for one of his main attacks, and he uses it normally then. What would suddenly inspire him to swing the bat in a way that would be a bit ineffective in a 3-D environment? Maybe it's the bat's power that makes him want to do that? I think the mystery of the Casey Bat has been solved...
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
It's based on an old poem. YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING URFBOUND! :V

Print