Print

Author Topic: Tetris Party  (Read 2490 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: November 01, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
Discuss Tetris Party here.... obviously. Extremely fun, of course, and there are the good bits and pieces featured in the game that you should already know about, so I won't ramble.

(Need friend code thread on this, btw. Thanks mods.)

My friend code for those few who might've already got their hands on it: 1376.0490.7471

Korobeiniki = best song ever.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:05:36 AM »
Slight bump and thoughts:

I sure wish they would've put Type B as one of the music choices, but of my favorites in this game so far, I'd have to say Korobeiniki (A-Type), 8-Bit World, and 2dpp (reminds me of Grand Turismo menu screens).

The gameplay is awesome (ghosts, wall and floor kicks, T-Spin bonuses, and hard drops, to name a few), and old sounds from the SNES Tetris are in there, such as the sound of a hard drop, and the Tetris (clear 4 lines) sound. The tetrominoes, however, don't change color when you change a level which is kinda poopy, but newer iterations have dropped that anyway, and I imagine the change was done so you wouldn't be disoriented and forget which colors certain tetrominoes are.

How the music works up is different from older games and I sure do enjoy it. As you level up the music gets faster and faster, instead of when you're getting too high. In older Tetris games, the music would loop at the same tempo, until you hit a certain row in the matrix, which is the 12th row. The music would then speed up slightly. In this version, however, when you hit the 12th row, more stuff is added to the song which I would say... isn't techno-sounding, I'm guessing... but an electric beat, rather, with more percussion. When you hit the 17th row (out of 20, remember), a siren starts sounding loudly then quiets down so it isn't annoying and distracting. Along with that, even more percussion is added to original caution beat making it sound cool. I think it works me up more than the music speeding up alone did.

Also, when the siren is going your Mii that walks in place next to the matrix starts freaking out with wide eyes and starts jumping around flailing his/her arms as if being chased by the police, so that is relatively funny. I believe the Miis are dressed up in the attire they are in as a shoutout to Russian culture (I guess??? Listening to Russian songs and looking at your Mii seems to justify their outfits) so the male Miis wear brown overalls, with a blue button down shirt, and the ladies wear a white dress with a pink bowtie and pink buttons. When you lose, your Mii ends up on their hands and knees shaking their heads in disbelief.

Online play is superb. I'd say it's about 5 notches above Mario Kart Wii. Every single action is pinpoint and not delayed, as it should be in the first place. Although, sometimes, there seems to be a delay sometimes when you win or lose. Say you tetris someone twice and you know for a fact they can't still be playing.... it'll keep you playing for a few seconds before you're decided the winner. If you lose, say in the same exact way I just mentioned, your blocks will all turn gray like it does when you lose and the points screen will come up, but the other player will still be setting tetrominoes down as if they're still playing. I can't exactly describe what could be going on there because I'd have to show you what I mean somehow.... but yeah, anyway...

If you have any other questions if you don't have it and/or are considering it, such as game types, etc., just give me a post!
Formerly quite reasonable.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
How does communication online work? Pre-made stuff like in Dr. Mario Online? (i.e. picking random phrases from a list) 'cause if so, then that's a step up from Nintendo's usual pile of feces that they refer to as wi-fi play.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »
There are pre-set messages available to you that you can assign each of direction of the D-Pad. In-game and right as a match is starting you hit select, decide which message, and send it. It annoyingly appears right in front of your next piece in line, so you can't really see what's coming next until it disappears.

EXTREMELY annoying is that when you save your messages, it'll always reset them when you leave the game and then boot it up again. I even think it does that if you get off Wi-Fi in the first place because, I had saved them, went back to single player offline, went back to Wi-Fi, and it was reset, along with my music choices. VERY annoying.

Stock phrases include, in order:    ( * = Automatically assigned when you make a file, and the messages it always resets to )

-Hello! *
-Hey there! *
-Nice to meet ya! *
-Go easy on me! *
-Let's go!
-I won!
-Victory!
-You beat me...
-How disappointing!
-Thanks!
-Sorry!
-Tough one, eh?