Print

Author Topic: "Nintendo Seal of Quality Requirements"  (Read 9239 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
Courtesy of Something Awful...

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
Seriously? That's the best Wii diss they can come up with?
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »
With his time machine completed, ShadowBrain could complain about every generation of Nintendo.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
With his newfound powers of time dilation, Bird Person realized he could complain about ShadowBrain every time he said something anti-Nintendo, as opposed to 85% of the time.
every

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
"Virtua" Boy = fail.

Sqrt2

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
If this were true, then technically SMB wouldn't get a Nintendo Seal of Quality (seeing as the first 5/8 of the game is a cakewalk).

Oh and the GB isn't in black and grey: it's light green and dark green.

The N64 one is right on the money, though.

As for the Wii, it should have read: Game must include a tacked-on motion control system. XD
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »
It makes me wonder how M&L2 got passed the system...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
With his time machine completed, ShadowBrain could complain about every generation of Nintendo.
LOL (yes, LOL. I'll acknowledge a good joke even if it's on me). However, I'll reiterate that 1: I didn't make this, and 2: I'm pretty much cool with Nintendo up 'till about... 2006, I'd say.

It makes me wonder how M&L2 got passed the system...
If this were true, then technically SMB wouldn't get a Nintendo Seal of Quality (seeing as the first 5/8 of the game is a cakewalk).
Like Nintendo would really put their own games through the test...

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
If I remember correctly, there was one thing you had to do with the touch screen. I think it was cleaning off a drawing.  (in M&L:PiT)
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
Yes. I had no problem with the lack of touch screen use, though. I say if it's not needed, don't use it.

...Ah, idealism...

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
Kind of funny, but not laugh-out-loud, and I still laugh at the Seal of Quality regardless because the first thing to come to mind is that Nintendo certified the game for being good, so standards of good games have probably dropped a long way to still get these seals. How many people laughed at Superman 64 getting the seal? But I remember being suckered into wondering whether I was getting an authentic SNES game when I heard somewhere that an unlicensed version of "Super Punch-Out!!" would not unlock the Special Circuit at the end, so I asked the guy at the Toys R' Us counter whether this copy I was getting was licensed.

Man I loved Toys R' Us's way of getting videogames: you look at small box cover pictures, pick up a paper slip with a giant price slapped on it, buy the game, then go to this counter with hundreds of games in clear view. Guy takes the slip, skims through the giant stack of games, and hands you the box with the game in it, plastic and all.
I'm of the opinion that SNES and N64 box covers were simply better than the DVD-size covers today. Maybe it's the extra real-estate and how, when you rent an SNES or N64 game now, the size of the box is stunning next to the DVD collection on the other shelf. I say it's due to the physical size of the cartridges versus CDs. I remember when the Mario Paint box was huge compared to everything else. I guess we're kind of reliving that now with the huge size of Rock Band + instruments.

Sorry, topic, uh...
NES one about being priced high enough that it'd cost you that much in quarters to beat the game at an arcade, that was funny. I'd say it'd cost me way more than that. N64 one about mashing the analog stick... hey, I thought that only applied to Mario Party 1. GameCube one about releasing one game each month... yeah, I remember it taking forever for new GameCube games to come out. Took a long time for new N64 games too, I think. As for Wii, I think the comic's saying "as long as it fits in the Wii slot, it's good enough... the game itself could be horrible, we don't mind".

Is it really getting to the point that the Virtual Console (or maybe WiiWare) has a better list of games than actual Wii games, or am I getting cynical?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:22:25 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
Something they missed here is that it isn't the Seal of Quality anymore, and hasn't been since at least the N64 era. It's just the "official Nintendo seal" now.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
Something they missed here is that it isn't the Seal of Quality anymore, and hasn't been since at least the N64 era. It's just the "official Nintendo seal" now.
I was just about to post that.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Originally, for NTSC countries, the seal was a large, black and gold circular starburst. The seal read as follows: "This seal is your assurance that NINTENDO has approved and guaranteed the quality of this product." This seal was later altered in 1988; "approved and guaranteed" was changed to "evaluated and approved". In 1989, the seal became gold and white, like it currently appears, with a shortened phrase, "Official NINTENDO Seal of Quality". The symbol remained unchanged until 2003 when "of Quality" was removed.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
N64 should have been: Takes Advantage of our unique controller by making players put a hole in their palm by quickly rotating the analog stick as fast as possible (Should take 2 full minutes)
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
Which is exactly why it's been the source of some controversy (who else read the EGM article on it a bit back?), as "Official Nintendo Seal" mean jack, diddley, and squat. I mean, it makes sense, though--Nintendo's stinginess over game quality transformed into desperation for third parties... and massive amounts of bad games. Be careful what you wish for...

Print