Print

Author Topic: Your own video game  (Read 15094 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »
(For anyone who didn't notice, Glorb's idea is largely a ripoff of Brütal Legend.)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »
In my game you would fly on a kite through the sky. The environments would range from small village to loose forest. You'd carpet bomb everything you see by hand. Whoever destroys the most stuff wins.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
(For anyone who didn't notice, Glorb's idea is largely a ripoff of Brütal Legend.)

Except for the game genre, music genre, tone, control input, and entire gameplay system, yeah, it's a very large ripoff.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »
I had a couple game ideas as a kid that have, shall we say, been "taken" over. One was "SimFish", where you'd, like, build your own reef and fill it with all kinds of undersea life--I saw some DS game like "My Aquarium" or something like that at Game Crazy the other day that was basically that (though I knew the concept had already been done).

One idea I came up with, though, was going to basically be a 2-D platformer/racing game. Another was a more complex, full-length game built around the concept of those "Purple Pipe Puzzles" (as I like to call them) in Wario Land 4.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
I used to have a computer program where you put together an aquarium in pretend-3D and the fish lived in real time. Ate up a lot of the processor, though, especially on a computer back then. For a while, my mom was always worried that Age of Empires would do the same thing when she played it, since it's "real-time strategy".
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
Except for the game genre, music genre, tone, control input, and entire gameplay system, yeah, it's a very large ripoff.
And yet the plot (someone involved with music gets sent back to medieval times to fulfill his destiny and start a peasant uprising) is almost identical, which is just enough for a lawsuit nowadays.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
I threw that in there when it realized it needed a plot. I actually thought it sounded more like a Red Faction ripoff (subtract the time travel and music, replace medieval peasants with miners and it sounds pretty similar).
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
Maybe you could change the plot so he gets sent to the future instead...?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
The post-apocalyptic future, where technology has been destroyed and civilization is back to a medieval level!
That was a joke.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
That's actually pretty intense.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:17 PM »
It's actually a ripoff of Nausicaä and stuff.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Just enough for a lawsuit nowa-wait, scratch that. No one has cornered the post-apocalyptic futures market yet.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »
Um, are you sure? Do you pay attention to any fiction?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 01:19:13 AM »
I'm almost certain there's a misunderstanding here, though I don't know who's misunderstanding who. I'm trying to say that it's been a common plot device in sci-fi for a long time now and it's a bit late for any lawsuit due to copyright infringement, short of outright plagiarism.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »
Nausicaä
I haven't watched--let alone learned how to pronounce--that movie yet...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print