Print

Author Topic: Your own video game  (Read 15001 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
The movie is great, but the manga is better.
The umlaut doesn't affect pronunciation, really.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »
So it's pronounced "NAH-sic-aah", then?

Also, I didn't know it was based on a manga (or is it vice-versa)...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »
Correct.
Yes, Miyazaki started writing the manga before he made the movie, but he didn't finish the manga until 1994.
That was a joke.

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
Here are some games I'd like to see:

1. Super Mario 64 for 2 players: Players alternate turns (whenever someone gets a star or dies). In addition, there are some areas that can be played together (Bowser battles and slides come to mind; the two players could race each other on the slides for turns much like the Mario Bros minigame in SMB3). I actually proposed this idea way back in 1997 when I first got SM64.

2. Mario is Missing Without Geography: The game would be in the style of SMW and would have the premise that Bowser kidnapped Mario. Luigi would be player one's character and player two would have Peach. Yoshi would be available from eggs found in boxes much like in SMW.

3. SimSchool. It would be a lot like SimCity except you have to run a school system. You could choose between public and private, pick an area to live in to choose your population, make decisions regarding teachers based on performance, and choose your administrators. I came up with this idea in fifth grade, when I wasn't exactly a fan of the school I was at.

4. Earthbound Advance. Basically, bring the old game to GBA.

5. Super Mario GBA Advance. See above.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
3. SimSchool.
This is one I'm surprised was never made. It's actually a really good idea.
4. Earthbound Advance. Basically, bring the old game to GBA.
MOTHER 1 & 2. Japan-only, but there's a translation patch in progress.
5. Super Mario GBA Advance. See above.
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. fits this, unless you wanted enhanced graphics. Also, "GBA Advance" is redundant.

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
3. SimSchool. It would be a lot like SimCity except you have to run a school system. You could choose between public and private, pick an area to live in to choose your population, make decisions regarding teachers based on performance, and choose your administrators. I came up with this idea in fifth grade, when I wasn't exactly a fan of the school I was at.
Doesn't sound half bad. Considering all the other Sim games at the time, I wouldn't have been surprised if they went in that direction. Of course you can start disasters like... er, I better not touch that. Maybe have the chemistry room blow up or a teacher fall asleep. And I'm betting the school basketball mascot will be a llama.

I did briefly imagine a SimAnt 64, but having an ant's enlarged face on the intro screen like Super Mario 64 was too scary.

I also imagined a game where you designed a movie, designed the box for the VHS tape, and then had it evaluated by an audience. Closest thing I can think to that is Lionhead's The Movies.

Back in the day I figured that if I didn't see a game at a store, then it didn't exist. So I'm surprised that many Sim games like SimGolf and SimMars were made. And you barely see any reviews for them these days.

... There needs to be a Sim-"Mad Scientist" game. You create creatures from various objects (animal parts, household objects, whatever), put in any one of several brains, and watch it do its stuff. Like Spore but creepier.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:49:37 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
I made a typo there with "Super Mario GBA Advance"--I meant it to say RPG, not GBA. Sorry for the confusion.

Actually, the Classic NES Series was redundant in of itself because they already had SMB Deluxe for GBC. I've got SMB Deluxe so I never got the Classic NES Series game when it came out and wondered why they would remake SMB1 without enhanced graphics when the other games basically got their SMAS graphics and sound re-used.

Don't forget "teacher strike" under the disasters menu for SimSchool. It could be a lot like the rioters in SC2K. In addition to chemistry room fire, how about home ec dryer fire? We had that happen when I was in high school--the entire school got evacuated on a day when we had a snow delay and it was about 15 degrees out (and no, we couldn't go and get our jackets). The morale of the students would be affected (think SimTower here--students could turn pink or red on the map if their stress level/morale was bad).

And yes, a llama would have to be the default mascot. It just wouldn't be a Sim game without llamas. Perhaps the students could also have the art of "reticulating splines" in the curriculum.

SimAnt 64 would have been interesting. I've got it for the computer although I did hear there was an SNES version. SimAnt would have been a good GBA title and SimAnt 64, well, that would have been pretty cool, especially if you got to actually play as the ant. How about SimAnt with an RPG style battle system?

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
A completely new Mario 3D platformer with ultra-realistic graphics and no new characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:35:57 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »
A completely new Mario 3D platformer with ultra-realistic graphics and no characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.

Wait, does that mean we get to see a computer-animated Bob Hoskins?

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
no characters that look like they could have come out of a 6-year-old's TV show.

WE HATE OUR LIVES
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
Doesn't sound half bad. Considering all the other Sim games at the time, I wouldn't have been surprised if they went in that direction. Of course you can start disasters like... er, I better not touch that. Maybe have the chemistry room blow up or a teacher fall asleep. And I'm betting the school basketball mascot will be a llama.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a game called School Tycoon which I used to own, and yeah it's pretty much how you described it, however, it lacks certain features of Sims games that it should have. And it does have a disaster thing though.

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that they made a Tycoon game about schools. They seemed to make one of those about everything from zoos to malls. I never played a tycoon game but have always heard that they are inferior to the Sims games (I own nearly every classic Sims game--SimLife, SimEarth, SimCity, SimCity 2000, SimAnt, SimTower, SimFarm, and The Sims; all of these games are very well done and I'm almost afraid to get something non-Maxis as a result).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
RollerCoaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, and Zoo Tycoon are good. Everything else that I can think of is pretty meh. However, what many people don't realize is that Tycoon isn't a trademarked thingy like Sim. RCT and TT are Chris Sawyer, RT is Sid Meier, ZT is Microsoft and Blue Fang, and everything else comes from somewhere different. No actual connection between any of them.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
I would create a side-scrolling game where I go out to save the world from an evil corporation, hell-bent on taking over the world, by going out an facing off hoards and hoards of enemies using only my surroundings, my insane jumping skills, and my trusty U.S.M.C. knife.  In this game I would travel all around the world and buy health, increases in stamina, strength, speed, etc., and new moves from the local people there (Kind of like the stores from River City Ransom.).  How do you earn money?  Well, enemies drop things when you kill them.  These things are either cash or health packs that restore a little health when grabbed.  Every level is ended with a boss fight.  After the fight, you watch a quick cut-scene to advance the story.  Then you are taken to the stores where you can buy the things that I mentioned earlier before you move on to the next level.  All of these levels lead up to the final level: inside the corporation's H.Q.!  at the end of this very hard level you meet the C.E.O. of the evil corporation who reveals himself to be the last person you would ever expect: your BROTHER (who was mentioned in one of the earlier cut-scenes where you flashed back to your childhood)!  An epic fight ensues.  After that, a cut-scene of your brother apologizing for all he has done as he dies, and then an epilogue, you are considered the greatest hero ever, but you still weep over how you had to kill your own brother.  The end.  *credits roll*
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:43:00 AM by Shroomy95 »
1-UP!

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »
Tycoon isn't a trademarked thingy like Sim.

Seriously? I lost.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print