Print

Author Topic: That Whole "Metroid Prime (Trilogy) is the Citizen Kane of Videogames" Thing  (Read 14770 times)

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
Because books are long, dull and monotonous.

FIXED
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 10:15:55 PM »
Granted, it isn't the juiciest of novels, but "aged horribly"? Does that phrase even apply to books?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
In the sense that a writer may have used copious amounts of terms that today have radically different meanings from when they were written (i.e. Tolkien using "[bundle of sticks]got" to mean "bundle of sticks") or that have fallen out of use completely, yes. Same thing for ancient non-English works that definitely lose something in translation. The meaning is still there and possibly still relevant, but it's difficult to discern when languages have changed so much, which is where an argument that it's "aged horribly" could be made.

You also have books that might've been relevant in 17th-century England or something but are completely irrelevant today.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43:04 PM »
Yeah, what WR said--If the syntax is old-fashioned, yes, but with the passage of time, every book is eventually, inherently guilty of that, so the argument doesn't hold much water. Nevertheless, I don't really like reading many old books for that reason.

Also, I think Forest Guy just said everything that needs to be said here.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »
Forget watching them, why the heck haven't you fools read LotR yet?

I managed to read all of the Hobbit. If that counts.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 11:53:10 PM »
If reading a single novel is counted as a feat these days, I'm going to be really sad.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »
It may be regrettable that the inclination is, but having the time to certainly is a feat.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:46 AM »
Because the books are long, dull and monotonous.

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
Who is that? The spirit in the mirror's white cousin?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
Looks like the bad guy from Ghostbusterz II.
every

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
I'd say it's Syndrome trying out for the Magic Mirror.

Kind of looks like Dudley or one of the other goons from Harry Potter.
You didn't say wot wot.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
I didn't even bother with the Incredibles. Now Up was great, but Pixar NEEDS to stay away from humans.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
What the heck? You should really stop talking when you have no clue what you're talking about.
That was a joke.

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 04:54:04 AM »
If TV_Themes has a legitimate reason for hating how Pixar does humans, I'd like to hear it. Sure the humans in the first Toy Story looked a little embarrassing, but they've improved since then. They're supposed to look exaggerated, not only to avoid going up against the uncanny valley but also to throw in personality.

And yet it's difficult for CGI humans to look believable and non-cringe-worthy when it comes to certain things like romantic relationships or the simple act of crying. Which the Incredibles didn't do half-bad on either. It was probably incredible that they managed to do the film at all (I remember the artists were complaining at first that the film contained all sorts of effects that were very hard to do right. Considering how realistic and refined Ratatouille looked, I wonder if Ratatouille was any harder to do).

Actually, I can't think of a single film where a CGI human cries and has convincing tears. Oh wait, Ratatouille (okay, so the tears well up in the eyes, but still). Nevermind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:56:34 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Print