Print

Author Topic: WarpRattler's Gaming Challenge  (Read 23053 times)

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
Sorry, between work and reacquainting myself with Gears 1, I haven't had the time to beat both of you senseless.  Tomorrow or Friday morn/afternoon, though, I got nothing scheduled.  Well done, BP, I didn't think you were going to get there.  But now I only have to, oh, double my score.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
Ooh, you're playing the first Gears of War? I need someone to co-op through that game with. Though, my schedule is pretty bad for coordinating anything...

And whipping BP in Paranormal needs to come first anyway.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
Speaking of whipping BP, I just earned 93,725,610 on my first credit of the night. I earned two extra balls in all that mess, but they didn't help much.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:07 AM »
$#&@*#@($%*^(#
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
Tomorrow is the final day.

I know BP is probably going to be busy with UMvC3...and so am I.

CoconutMikeNIke, this is your chance to swoop in and win! After all, you're only 45M behind.

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
So, I did not take advantage. I played a few rounds the other day, and was rather rusty. Who'd have guessed that a game that is all about super precise timing skill could dissipate if you don't play for a week or so.

So I'm figuring Warp won his challenge again? Congrats, this was a really good choice of game. I know that I'm going to keep playing it. I might pick up another table sometime, let you guys know how they are.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
I actually own a bunch of the tables now. I had a lot of spacebucks lying around, so I bought the core pack and Sorcerer's Lair, which it seems like no one except me likes.

Unless BP beat my score and hasn't told me, yeah, it looks like I won. The only score I'm seeing on my friends leaderboard that's higher than mine is a 169M score from one of my shmups community friends.

The next challenge will not have anything to do with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and won't be happening for a short while. I need some time for work and personal stuff, and a couple of other games I'd like to get out of the way before I go for any other competitive-type stuff. (And right now the game I'd like to challenge people to would only have one other person playing, and he doesn't even visit this forum anymore.)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Alright, so here's the idea for the next challenge.

Instead of me picking the game, I want you guys to do so.

It needs to be something:
-readily accessible to at least three TMK users, including myself
-preferably either free or at least very cheap
-something that allows for asynchronous competition, preferably single-player and/or score-based
-something no one here is already good at (which was part of why Paranormal was so much fun, since it was new to everyone competing, and is part of why we will not be playing Pac-Man Championship Edition or Boom Boom Rocket, despite how perfect they would be otherwise)

The deadline for entries is November 24th, at which point I'll figure out what can work from what's been submitted.

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
What about...
  • Minecraft creative (classic is free!)
  • Sonic Generations 30-second trial
  • RROD contest!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
OCC Ghosts 'n' Goblins!

:)       no   )
No! I don't want that!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:46 PM »
Actually, most of the Makaimura games would be perfect for this. We could see who could reach the highest stage in a given GnG in a single credit. And it's incredibly difficult to be anything resembling "good" at any of those games, so there's no "I'm-a stomp all of you in this game I rock at" issue.

But I still want to see more suggestions. And good ones, too, unlike the things bobbysq1337 mentioned.

I'm going to throw one out here myself: Blade Buster, a homebrew NES shmup. It's an homage to the Star Soldier family of shooters, and is just as fun as any of those, but with the enhancement of being a free download.

I played it for a week straight back during STGT2011 over on the system11.org shmups forum, and had an absolute blast. It's easy to learn most of the scoring tricks, though there are some rather odd strategies in there that seem counterintuitive (I've forgotten most of it, myself), and the game itself is less than five minutes long, so restarting due to dying or making a really big mistake isn't nearly the setback it could be in some of the games I'd normally suggest for this. Its length also means you can easily play a credit or two during a break or whatever (especially if you have an NES emulator on some sort of portable platform).

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
But I still want to see more suggestions. And good ones, too, unlike the things bobbysq1337 mentioned.
:( Why?

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
Geometry Wars 2 jumps to my mind, though bobman37 and I probably already have the highest scores we ever will.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
I was gonna suggest speedruns of a Metroid game, but then I saw "something no one here is already good at", which at least a few people here are in violation of. So never mind to that I guess.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
I know what could be good! Super Mario Bros., but by score. That would be good because I don't think anyone is good at score in that game and we often take it for granted, so no one really notices it.

Print