Print

Author Topic: Your first video game  (Read 7220 times)

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »
The first one I can remember is Spelling Jungle, the most badass spelling game ever created. So many fond memories of my old Compaq PC with this game, I was literally playing this game while in diapers, I distinctly remember pooping my pants while playing one time.

I wasn't introduced to consoles until we went to my cousins' house who had a NES, and we played SMB and Duck Hunt, and one time I went down to the basement by myself to play Duck Hunt and I was terrified of the game over screen so I hid behind the couch until someone came downstairs and found me.

One year for Christmas my brother got a "Game Boy" from grandpa. I didn't know what that meant, but I did know all of a sudden there was this grey brick thing where I could play such sweet sweet games as Donkey Kong, Tetris and F1 Racing.

One of the first ones from when I was a little older and knew a little more about real games was Day of the Tentacle. Awesome game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:32:31 AM by bobman37 »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
My parents and older sisters played a lot of SMB3 on the NES (before the NES crapped out because one of the sisters put one too many sandwiches in it), and my mom and dad were pretty good at SMW, but I pretty much always just watched them rather than playing myself, until I got my own Game Boy for Christmas (from Montgomery Wards, at a going out of business sale), with Super Mario Land. I also got a Game Genie for it either at the same time or shortly thereafter. SML was the only game I ever owned that the book had any codes for, and I would always play it with Infinite Lives, Walk Through All Walls, and Always Big Mario. Oftentimes I would take the Game Boy into the bathroom and beat the whole game (with those codes) while on the toilet.

The Game Boy served as a bridge onto the SNES. My most-remembered games from there are SMW, SMAS, Plok, Lion King (I never got past the second level and that [darn] ostrich-jumping section), Tom and Jerry, Sim Earth (good music, though the intro with the eye logo and the sweeping planets usually scared me, and I would often wait a while to turn on the TV when playing it so as not to risk seeing the intro) and my favorite game at the time, Mario is Missing. I liked it because it had Luigi, you couldn't die (though the unloseable boss battles still felt intense), the music was nice, and Bowser had the right coloration rather than having green arms and orange palms like in SMW. And the part at the end where Bowser gets launched into the snow and freezes solid and shatters to pieces was pretty badass.

One day while my mom and I were at the rental store about to rent Mario is Missing again, we saw Mario RPG. We both became rather obsessed with the game, and soon bought our own copy. She beat it before I did, but I still played the hell out of it, and made my own continuations of the story with my little brother's toys. A Little Tykes bus driver with red pants and a blue hat was Mario, a white Snoopy-esque Little Tykes dog was Mallow, one with a blue shirt and brown hair was Geno, one with a purple shirt and a blond ponytail was Peach, a little Weeble-like guy with his hands out in front of him was Bowser (because the hands were like Bowser clawing enemies), and a cop from another set was Smithy (because the badge on his shirt looked like the final Star Piece on Smithy's chest). A toy drum with three xylophone panels on it was the stump where you battle Bowyer (the xylophone panels were the X, Y, and A buttons that he locked). They would battle on top of speakers, by the (unlit) fireplace, on top of a globe toy, inside of a round thingie with the moving beads on the wires that represented the entire universe (or, more often, the multiverse, though I don't know if I specifically used that word back then), and all kinds of places like that. Usually Smithy would come back from the dead somehow, and once he joined Mario's party only to turn on them when the six of them got into a boss fight.

I also remember that Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse was the first game I ever beat.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:32:36 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »
Man, the only games my mom and dad have ever really played are RuneScape and Frogger: He's Back!, respectively.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
Probably Sonic the Hedgehog 2.  Maybe SMB3, but it would have been at my aunts, and she had the Genesis before she got my sister and I an NES.  So, '93-ish?
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

A

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »

**** yeah.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »
Before that though, I may have attempted to play Donkey Kong at the local bowling alley (not by myself of course. I was like, 5 and my parents bowled a lot back then).

Oh, I didn't even think of arcade games.  Pretty sure I was playing Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man (technically, their freeware/shareware PC counterparts Pac-PC and Ms. Pac-PC, but same difference) from about age 4.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
Does it count if I played Pole Position at Pizza Hut without actually putting any money in so I was just turning the wheel while the attract mode played? Because I did that a lot.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 02:58:32 AM »

Wow. I haven't thought about that game in at least 15 years. Thank you for awakening distant memories of awesome that I'd forgotten existed.

A

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
I'm gonna go download DOSBox and replay it. Maybe now I can get through more than two levels.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

Print