Print

Author Topic: The Weirdest Crossover Never Made  (Read 4346 times)

The Chef

• Super
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
You know how Donkey Kong and all of his Kong friends have been cameoing in various Mario spin-offs over the past decade or so?

Have you ever thought: "What if it was the other way around? What if the Mario characters had made a cameo in a Donkey Kong game?"

If you have thought this, then have I got a treat for you:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRAqj__5eA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRAqj__5eA</a>

This my friends is the earliest known version of Diddy Kong Pilot, shown at Spaceworld 2001. The biggest "[wtd]" about this version is the fact that six whole Mario characters appear amongst the playable roster! From the footage I could make out Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Wario and Bowser.

So yeah. At one point in time, there was to be a DK spin-off featuring Mario characters instead of the other way around. Mind blown.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
Ha, that's so strange!  It'd be one thing to see maybe Mario and Luigi in there as secret, unlockable characters, but 6 Mario guys?  At that point is it even Diddy Kong Pilot anymore?  More like Mario Pilot. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
It looks like alot of this is what became Diddy Kong Racing. Cool!

I wonder if they'll ever try to revive this idea..? I like it.

I love when we find rare gems such as this, even if they are unfinished/unreleased.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
Ah, yeah, this one. Didn't this sort of mutate into Banjo Pilot?

Still waiting for DK Coconut Crackers.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
Yeah, it went through like three more builds before being re-done as Banjo-Pilot. I could post videos relating to its development history if anyone wants.

It looks like alot of this is what became Diddy Kong Racing.

That's because it was made after Diddy Kong Racing. For the Game Boy Advance. In 2001.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:47:10 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
Yes. I had a moment of temporary insanity and completely forgot what year a gamebuild we were looking at.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
They probably just said "screw it" and took out all of the DK characters (besides DK of course) and made MKSC.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
Yes, because Rareware is known for making Mario Kart. Right.

Also this totally didn't go through a couple more builds and become Banjo-Pilot.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:01:13 AM by The Chef »

Print