Print

Author Topic: Star Fox  (Read 31242 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« on: October 13, 2002, 10:20:58 PM »
Hey, people, I decided that this board needed a Starfox topic... so I made one.
Anyway, I'm gonna start this off with two topics...
Namco Star Fox. I've heard it's gonna be called Star Fox Armada, going to be just another space shooter, and have a different art style. I don't think I'm going to like it very much. Once the series has been taken to a higher level like it has, I don't see how it can revert to a lower type of gameplay. I can understand if it was going to be an arcade game first, then maybe if it did well they could release it on GCN... but they're doing it the other way around.

Second topic: Dinosaur Planet.
It's funny, because Rare didn't think their Dinosaur Planet was going to become a Star Fox game, and yet in the Star Fox (SNES) manual, it states that Fortuna is also called Dinosaur Planet. So you know what this means? The whole game took place on Fortuna! Kinda weird coincidence, huh?

Extra topic: Krystal!
What do ya think about her? Also, since she was originally owned by Rare, do ya think she'll be in any future games? I hope so. Must contact Miyamoto...

None shall dispute my word!

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/13/2002 9:24:20 PM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2002, 11:58:11 PM »
I hope somebody replies to this.

That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 01:56:30 PM »
I love Star Fox. Yes, Yes I do. Way back in the day I couldn't get into the SNES Star Fox game much cause it was too frustrating, but I instantly fell in love with the characters, and thought to myself, "You know, They really should make a game where they get out of their ships and do stuff." (Star Fox 64 was very easy, but It's nearly endless replay value/addiction factor made up for that)

First of all, Star Fox Armada. I would like to respond to this by saying I really need to get onto the internet more. I have heard nothing of this. Poor, poor me. But I hope that if this is an Old School Star Fox type shooter, that they continue with the character development established in SFAdventures. I'd like to ROB as an arwing person on your team (Slippy could probably give the Great Fox an automated system, ala the Enterprize's computer...But simpler), Peppy and Slippy with you, and Falco only appears every three stages or so.

Next, is Star Fox Adventures. It's Fox...Out of The Arwing! Just what I've been dreaming for since I was in First grade (Or when ever that was...I lose my concept of time. I'm old and feeble now.) I'm only 23% through it right now, But I'm decently pleased with it so far. However...One-If they're going to make ROB a major character, they need to actually work with him and develop him. I'm quite intriguied at him being 'one of the guys'. And two-Fox needs his own style. I'm well aware that this wasn't originally going to be a SF game, but in future out of ****-pit expereiences Fox needs to find a gameplay style that's unique, yet still lives up to the Star Fox motif. (I.e Not Parappa esque music levels.)

I doubt we'll see Krstal Ever again-She's fallen into a great character limbo. But don't worry, she's surrounded by people such as Geno, Mallow, and Boshi to keep her company.

I have a question of my own-Do you think the plotline of what happened/is happening to James McCloud will ever be brought up and relevenant to the plot in a future SF game? Or should he even? If he came back would it be like Chrono Cross's "Destroying the legend of Schala?" Just a thought.

(Chocobo's Edit-I Know understand the divine importance of the enter button. Oof, that was one ugly block of text without it.)

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!

Edited by - Chocobo on 10/14/2002 1:04:55 PM
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2002, 09:07:41 PM »
Yeah, I find the SNES Starfox really hard too. I only tried it recently as a ROM, but it's pretty impressive for its system.

I must say I'm a little confused as to Nintendo's use of Falco. They make him popular (ie. Super Smash Brothers Melee), and then turn around and have him wander off to do his own stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to the team in a future game.

And I agree, an all-flying game sounds like a step back compared to SFA. It may reek of Legend Of Zelda, but it still rocks.

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2002, 11:22:46 PM »
Falco is in SFA. At the end, he rejoins the team.
LoZ isn't bad. It's just that it's not 1/4 as good as SFA.
Yeah, SNES Star Fox is definitely too hard.
I have the unreleased "Star Fox 2" ROM... apparently they changed it into SF64, but you know what's really weird is how they totally scrapped the story from Star Fox 1 when they made SF64. And I'm sure glad they did. It's so much better in the last two games.
As for Krystal, I have high hopes that she will be in more games... Let's see, SFA ends with her on the Great Fox (sorry to spoil it, but it's necessary to analyze the situation), Tricky becoming an honorary member of the team, and it's clear that Fox is in love with Krystal. And I think Nintendo owns the rights to them, unlike the SMRPG characters.
Star Fox Armada... is weird. It looks like a cartoon. Sorta like higher-res versions of the SNES sprites... goofy lookin'. The only place I've found info on it so far is IGN.
Yeah, it would be cool if ROB was a pilot... Krystal would make a good pilot too. She's got her own starship, after all. Then that would make up for Peppy and Slippy retiring from piloting.
In fact, it seems to me that the only way they could avoid putting the new SFA characters in the next game is to have it in a different time period... which would wreck the story.
One other thing, I seem to be out of the loop regarding James McCloud. Exactly what is going on with him? I know you can get a message from him in SFA... but other than that, I don't really know what's up with him.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/14/2002 10:26:20 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2002, 02:54:44 PM »
Hmmm... let's see if I can remember all of this...

The reason Falco wasn't in SFAd is because they couldn't think of a way to include him. They had to just change the people from the Dinosaur Planet game.

Armada...
It doesn't look as bad as you say it does, but keep in mind it's not an >actual< GameCube game, it's and arcade game.

ROB as a pilot...
He was one of those stupid, useless additions to the NES, and the game makers thought it would be funny to include him. His original purpose was to take a disk and plop it down on this sensor pad when you came to a certain point in Gyromite, and it would open a door. Here's a picture of him.
http://www.thepong.com/Sites/Left/Nintendo/GFX/NES/Rob.jpg
They also used him in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
http://www.classicgaming.com/nindb/snes/cameos/kirbysdreamland3-rob.jpg

Krystal...
Well, she is an original Rare character, but I have no idea whether or not Nintendo can use her. I wouldn't want her to though, and I hate that **** Fortunian language babble that she spits out. "Ooo-ay".

Ol' Jimmy...
I thought he was dead. The Star Fox 64 instruction manual says he was captured by Andros, but would he really be alive after all these years?

Interesting tidbit: The governor of the Dominion of New England was also named Andros.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #5:

[Suck compilation]

1.   You suck like a gay weasel.
2.   You suck like a very hungry infant.
3.   You suck so badly, your lips are chafed.
4.   You’re just a failure-fried pile of suck, with some Pity Sauce on the side, because the suck tastes so bad you have to dip it in something, and mustard doesn’t work in this world of metaphors.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 08:17:02 PM »
Disclaimer*: If you're gonna ruin this topic, don't bother posting.

frostbite - regarding Krystal and Armada:
Those are YOUR opinions, and you can't say for sure what anyone but yourself thinks about it. And you obviously haven't finished the game, or you would know that Krystal also speaks English (Lylat actually, I guess), and that Falco is in the game.
Hmm... that's not the same ROB, duh! It may have started that way, but face it, he looks way different than that thing.
True, Krystal WAS originally a Rare character, but if you notice, Rare holds no copyrights on SFA.
Armada is going to be a GCN game first, then be put in arcades later.
That's Andross. With TWO Ss.

---------------------------------------------

I had a brilliant idea earlier today: An English-to-Dino translator! That would be cool. I'll start work on one soon.

*Disclaimer © Chupperson Weird® 2002

Dede jxucc tajfiko mo neht!

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/15/2002 11:23:26 PM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2002, 12:06:05 AM »
Come back!
Next topic: Voices.

Dedo jxucc tajfiko mo neht!
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2002, 04:41:17 PM »
No, it's not MY OPINION about Armada, it's what IGN.com says. Moron. Jerk. Idiot.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #5:

[Suck compilation]

1.   You suck like a gay weasel.
2.   You suck like a very hungry infant.
3.   You suck so badly, your lips are chafed.
4.   You’re just a failure-fried pile of suck, with some Pity Sauce on the side, because the suck tastes so bad you have to dip it in something, and mustard doesn’t work in this world of metaphors.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2002, 11:23:06 PM »
IGN =  only good for its media downloads... and occasional hilarious weird jokes

You said that it doesn't look as bad as I say it does. That's YOUR opinion.
Fox looks like a cartoon. The Arwings look like boats with blue wings.

Good points about the game:
Fox's eyes are green. That's right, at least.
You can't tell who's in the Arwings. That means it could be people other than Falco, Peppy and Slippy. Peppy and Slippy retired, remember?

Dedo jxucc tajfiko mo neht!

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/17/2002 11:22:42 PM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2002, 11:15:54 PM »
Come on, people! Please post here! Or this topic shall become nothing but a compendium of my ponderings of the nuances of the series!
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2002, 04:01:15 PM »
So?

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2002, 07:52:32 PM »
What.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2002, 10:29:39 PM »
Who?

We`ve taken care of everything, The words you hear, the songs you sing, The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It`s one for all and all for one, We work together common sons, Never need to wonder how or why.
We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx. Our great computers fill the hallowed halls. We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx. All the gifts of life are held within our walls...
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2002, 05:50:18 PM »
well, i like starfox. its just not as much as chupperson (obviously) i think its really cool that they have him out of his arwing and now on the ground, even though ive never played the game. and speakin of james mcloud, i finished the game on all of the hard routes and at the end (after defeating the brain of andross) james flies around with you. no i dont mean the part where he leads you out of the tunnel, i mean he actually flies with  you, then he dissapears.
"Tetris: the movie"
Yeah, I can see that. A guy throwing bricks out of a window for 2 hours.

Print