Print

Author Topic: 100 Greatest Games of All Time  (Read 3012 times)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« on: May 09, 2003, 05:44:37 PM »
IGN.com just released a list of the 100 best video games of all time.  #1 was...Super Mario Brothers!  Was there ever any doubt?

Lots of other Mario games also made the list, including Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, and (this is sort of a Mario game) Super Smash Brothers Melee.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 07:46:06 PM »
And then there was EGM's poll about 2 years ago. They said that Super Metroid (!) was the greatest game ever... (And was 3rd in this list... although I never got to play it) I think Mario's highest place was... 5th? With SM64. (!!) Of course, IGN also places SM64 5th. I loved SM64, but I didn't think it was THAT great... revolutionary, definately. 5th best game ever? I don't know about that one...

And someone FINALLY gets it right, placing SMW2 ahead of SMW. FINALLY. About freaking time someone didn't use SMW's nostalgia factor as the sole determinant for a great game.

In conclusion, IGN's list is FAR better than EGM's list. I also noticed a lot more newer games on the IGN list.  also like this; the site doesn't give the older games an advantage like so many other sites I've seen.

Yes, it was a bit off, but Mario was in about 10 of the top 100 of EGMs list. Of course, it didn't include PC games either.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:31:39 AM »
Here are a few of my thoughts.

Discs of Tron - This game is awesome. You haven't played this game? YOU MUST GO PLAY IT AT ONCE!
Excitebike - Ah, endless fun.
Homeworld - Considering that my favorite band, Yes, was asked to write a song about the game, I was interested from the beginning. And this is an awesome game.
Galaga - Pure Galaganaess. Ahh.
Star Fox - Not the best Star Fox, but oh well. I'm kinda peeved that Star Fox Adventures (the greatest game of all time) didn't get on the list, but it has a kind of "limited appeal," I guess.
SSBM - Whoo hoo. FUN.
Star Wars Arcade - Memories.
SMW - It's Super Mario World!
Tecmo Bowl - More memories.
SMW2 - What can I say?
Civ 2 - Fun.
SMK - Mario.
Ms. Pac-Man - I rock at Ms. Pac-Man.
Chrono Trigger - The greatest RPG of all time.
SM64 - It's SM64! What?!
Tetris - What about Tetris Attack?
Super Metroid - #3? No way! Good platformer, but it should be more like #25!
SMB - Ah yes. I recently beat SMB for the first time. Eeh hee hee hee hee!
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 12:37:41 AM »
What about SMB3?  I think that is one of the best games ever.

Edited by - Luigison on 5/9/2003 11:38:07 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 03:39:55 PM »
Now that is odd. I forgot about it, but I think it could have been in there somewhere where a ...less exemplary game was.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 03:42:50 PM »
PAPER MARIO! It must be popular. Its a GREAT GAME!!!

Eeeeettts a me! Baby Mario! Honk Honk Honk!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 05:00:00 PM »
As I said beofre, EGM had Super Metriod at #1.

And as I read it, I was rather surprised that neither SMB3 nor Tetris Attack/PPL made this list. Those were both really high on EGM's list.

Ah well. SMW2 beat out SMW. That's all I care about.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 12:04:08 AM »
PPL would never have made the list.  Even if it is the better game, it could not have beaten out Tetris Attack, because the games are too similar, and Tetris Attack is the "original" (in America, at least).  And Tetris Attack could not make the list because it is considered blasphemy to say that Tetris is not the greatest puzzle game of all time, and with 100 precious spots, IGN wouldn't want to waste two on puzzle games.

Well, call me a blasphemer.  I share your sentiments, Insane Steve, but politics prevented TA and PPL from being on the list.  Oh well.  I don't really think that Super Mario Brothers is the greatest video game of all time, but I am still inexplicably happy to see it at the top of the list, and I'm sure THAT choice involved a lot of politics, also.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 05:07:12 PM »
SMS is the greatest game of all time!!!

Mom:Honey, what is that loud sound? Me:Uh, nothing, Mom! *goes back to smashing X-Box*
Deezer was here.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 08:07:19 PM »
Excuse Me? Beg Pardon?

I can't believe you revived this topic just to state "SMS is the best game ever!"

And besides, that's not true. The greatest game of all time is... Well I can't deside, but it's not SMS.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 09:07:49 PM »
Yeah, he really needs to quit bumping topics for one-liners. It's very, very annoying.

Eccentricity is my goal. "The stupidest thing I’ve ever heard just came out of Lizard Dude’s typing hands."

That was a joke.

Print